Icy straight

kajasmin

3 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

There is bear watching, kayaking, zip line, cultural heritage presentations, the gondola, beach, scenic walk into town, and charming authentic Alaskan village. So lots more than just whale watching. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

There is bear watching, kayaking, zip line, cultural heritage presentations, the gondola, beach, scenic walk into town, and charming authentic Alaskan village. So lots more than just whale watching. 

I’d heard of this ‘port’ stop when it was first opened. It’s now much more than I had imagined. I’d be very excited to just get out and walk around without having to dodge cars while window shopping blocks of touristy stores. This place looks really nice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I’d heard of this ‘port’ stop when it was first opened. It’s now much more than I had imagined. I’d be very excited to just get out and walk around without having to dodge cars while window shopping blocks of touristy stores. This place looks really nice. 

It seems like a "fake port" for me. I enjoyed going to Hoonah - a real Alaskan village. Just my thoughts. ICP is "very shiny".

1 hour ago, Coral said:

It seems like a "fake port" for me. I enjoyed going to Hoonah - a real Alaskan village. Just my thoughts. ICP is "very shiny".

Totally agree. It is a ‘port’ stop completely manufactured by the cruise line from quite literally nothing but a vacant cannery. Sort of reminds me of what I’ve seen on the ultra-budget version called Ward Cove (that has basically nothing). That looks like a hot mess. 

Even on my first cruise to Alaska over 25 years ago a lot of the ports seemed fake-ish and really touristy. During my five cruises up there I took a lot of shore excursions away from town out into the surrounding areas so that I could experience a more ‘authentic’ Alaska. This next cruise I’ll visit the same ports I’ve been to time and time again. But at least Icy Strait Point will offer something new to me. And I’m pretty excited about that. 

😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Totally agree. It is a ‘port’ stop completely manufactured by the cruise line from quite literally nothing but a vacant cannery. Sort of reminds me of what I’ve seen on the ultra-budget version called Ward Cove (that has basically nothing). That looks like a hot mess. 

Even on my first cruise to Alaska over 25 years ago a lot of the ports seemed fake-ish and really touristy. During my five cruises up there I took a lot of shore excursions away from town out into the surrounding areas so that I could experience a more ‘authentic’ Alaska. This next cruise I’ll visit the same ports I’ve been to time and time again. But at least Icy Strait Point will offer something new to me. And I’m pretty excited about that. 

😁

I would agree - usually in ports - I get out of town so I am not surrounded by shops.

While ISP is shiny - I do have to say they did spent money and things run seamless. The gondola from the farther pier into town works like magic and is very nicely done. They are staffed well and genuinely friendly. I still am glad I went into Hoonah for my day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I would agree - usually in ports - I get out of town so I am not surrounded by shops.

While ISP is shiny - I do have to say they did spend money and things run seamless. The gondola from the farther pier into town works like magic and is very nicely done. They are staffed well and genuinely friendly. I still am glad I went into Hoonah for my day.

Sorry typo.

• Like 1

I was there long time ago.  Even then, I was impressed by the infrastructure they put up.  The tour I did was of the island's natural forest, and native plants and lore.  It was amazing, I had no idea of all the edible, (or not so edible) plants that were in my backyard (being a Pac NW native).

They've done a good job to support the area, and to create a playground by which people can just get off and enjoy vs navigate taxi's or warehouse lots.

• Like 1