Icy straight

kajasmin

Posted (edited)

I've read bad reviews of bear tours and mostly everything else is whales. Idk but whale tours don't look exciting to me when I've been onacruise. Anyone kayak?

Edited by kajasmin

44 minutes ago, kajasmin said:

I've read bad reviews of bear tours and mostly everything else is whales. Idk but whale tours don't look exciting to me when I've been onacruise. Anyone kayak?

Do you mean that watching whales from a small high speed boat within the allowable safety distance seems "IDK" maybe not exciting, since you may see a whale off in the distance from the 8th deck of a 5K passenger cruise ship?

• Haha 1

To be honest, they don't look exciting to me. We all have our opinions and no, they don't to me. I've been watching videos on YouTube to try to see if we'd find it exciting and I just don't think we would- maybe I'm watching the wrong videos. 

I did a whale watching tour in ISP last summer that was great.  Not only did we see close up whales, but a couple of brown bears foraging on the beach.  Two other great small boat tours last summer were Tracy Arm, with seals, whales, and Dall porpoise, and wildlife tour in Sitka with whales, sea otters, and lots of bears!

• Like 1

OP mentioned on another thread that they are on a budget, and as much as we are all ISP whale watching fans, it just doesn't speak to the OP.   Icy Strait Point - Hoonah is a wonderful place to walk, and hopefully there are whales that can be seen from shore.  There is the free gondola that they can ride and walk back down along a trail.  I also think there are other trails that can be explored on your own (Not a rainforest).

• Like 1

you can get over to hoonah (shuttle or walking). There is a totem pole carving there which is interesting. Also an eagles nest where you might see eagles. shops in the town as well. There were a lot of eagles flying about on my walk back. 

I didn't think the gondola ride up to the top was that interesting, but if you do go up, there is a hike up there. i didn't get to do it due to time though and they need a group of people for bear prevention. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

OP mentioned on another thread that they are on a budget, and as much as we are all ISP whale watching fans, it just doesn't speak to the OP.   Icy Strait Point - Hoonah is a wonderful place to walk, and hopefully there are whales that can be seen from shore.  There is the free gondola that they can ride and walk back down along a trail.  I also think there are other trails that can be explored on your own (Not a rainforest).

There are times where I have not been thrilled with the port offerings but have done them because that is the activity that the port is famous for. I have been extremely surprised that I enjoyed the activity. If one doesn't think they are into whale watching and the port is famous for it - I suggest they try it once to see if they enjoy it. If they don't - that is fine. Some people never have an opportunity to see whales in their life. Or worse, they had an opportunity and skipped it and regretted it later. For many - Alaska is a one time trip.

Thus, I suggested they try it anyway. I agree the videos don't do whale watching justice.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. We are a party of 6- 2 grandparents and then a family of 4- 2 of which are 17 and 20. Things really start adding up x 6 and we have been fortunate enough to travel a lot. My parents haven't so this is a gift for them. My mom has no interest in whale watching (seasick situations) so another reason I was looking for other things. I just feel like the amount of money spent so e of our party it'd be a waste on... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kajasmin said:

Thanks everyone. We are a party of 6- 2 grandparents and then a family of 4- 2 of which are 17 and 20. Things really start adding up x 6 and we have been fortunate enough to travel a lot. My parents haven't so this is a gift for them. My mom has no interest in whale watching (seasick situations) so another reason I was looking for other things. I just feel like the amount of money spent so e of our party it'd be a waste on... 

No need to apologize or explain your preferences - people like different things and there is nothing you HAVE to do - even whale watching no matter what anyone tries to insist here. Be sure to bring some good binoculars - you will spot whales from the ship and although not close, still a chance to get a glimpse. You will often see otters, seals, and eagles from the ship as well. 

We had friends who did the kayak trip with Hoonah Travel Adventures and they loved it - by the way they saw both bears and whales. 

One of the best, most budget friendly options that we love and has resulted in some of our most memorable days in Alaska was just renting a car (or van when we had a group of 6) and exploring on our own. There are guides for all the ports with things to do and see and driving in these AK ports is so easy. Just another thought to consider. 

If we decide to go on one, Glacier winds is booked. Hoonah Tours is also booked. Who is third up? Was looking for a small boat, if 3 of us decide we want to do it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kajasmin said:

If we decide to go on one, Glacier winds is booked. Hoonah Tours is also booked. Who is third up? Was looking for a small boat, if 3 of us decide we want to do it. 

Have you checked with Hoonah Travel Adventures? They are excellent and local native owned and operated. 

https://hoonahtraveladventures.com

Glacier Winds is amazing.  We went out in their 6 person boat May '23 and saw lots of whales, deer swimming across the bay as we left the boat dock, seals, eagles, otters and puffins, as well a family of bears (mom and 2 cubs on the beach).

Just amazing!

7 hours ago, kajasmin said:

It says their boats are up ton30 people?

Yes, they hold up to 30 people but you don’t need a group of 30 to book. You book as individuals on the tour. Their boats are large and comfortable with plenty of viewing area and more than enough space for 30 passengers - and still much more personal than the really large cruise ship tours with 100 plus people. We enjoyed our tour with then immensely and saw lots of whales. 

35 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Glacier Winds is amazing.  We went out in their 6 person boat May '23 and saw lots of whales, deer swimming across the bay as we left the boat dock, seals, eagles, otters and puffins, as well a family of bears (mom and 2 cubs on the beach).

Just amazing!

Yes, Glacier Wind is also amazing. We did a small boat tour with them with just our family of 6 one year and it was great. But the OP has pointed out they are not an option as they are already booked the day she and her family are there. 

4 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

But the OP has pointed out they are not an option as they are already booked the day she and her family are there. 

OMG, you are right.  I read it so fast that I thought the OP was able to book it (and I was amazed that GW was still available).  I am so sorry.  Ouch.

On 3/17/2024 at 11:49 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

I read the Gondola is $49.95 for the day.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, 4theExperience said:

I read the Gondola is $49.95 for the day.

There are two gondolas. The free gondola runs between the two cruise docks. The gondola that runs from the cruise docks to the top of the mountain and the zip-line is a paid ticket.

A map of the area showing the gondolas, the cruise docks, the cannery and the zip-line: https://icystraitpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/NEW-Map-9mb-version-002-2.pdf

Edited by dfilpus