Confiscated on Anthem Today: “Cruise-Compliant” Non Surge Power Strip

1 minute ago, robtulipe said:

The link in post 45 above also pertains to not allowing power boards.

Yes it does. But I still don't see how the OP's item could be considered to be an extension cord since it has no cord. 

Anyway, what is a "power board"? 

23 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Would this rule for passengers mean that they aren't (shouldn't be?) in use anywhere on the ship, even by crew?

There is nothing inherently dangerous about using a non-surge protected power strip, or extension cord on a ship, it is just RCI's rule for passengers.  RCI can control crew, they have a much harder time controlling passengers, so they are more restrictive to passengers.  Also, crew use company approved, and inspected equipment.  Moreover, crew typically use a 220v power strip, which is designed for European use, and has a circuit breaker that interrupts both legs of the power, whereas US power strips only interrupt the "hot" leg, and in a shipboard application, this can lead to continued power to the power strip through the "neutral" leg.  This danger, from US consumer power strips when used on a ship, can be why RCI does not want any power strips to be used by passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The Pot calling the Kettle a few names now.

One picture says a thousand words.

If that's a power strip and not a surge protector, then that is not a violation.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

If that's a power strip and not a surge protector, then that is not a violation.

I only have an electrical degree, contractor, and inspector license in the State of New Jersey.

They all stop at the shoreline.

🤣.

They do not cover maritime design so I will leave it to @chengkp75's experience and knowledge in this discussion.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The Pot calling the Kettle a few names now.

One picture says a thousand words.

Don't tell anyone, but I heard the crew also uses high-powered audio amplifiers, food cooking apparatus, and internal combustion engines.

They should never be allowed to ban those things ever again!

9 hours ago, TheMichael said:

Don't tell anyone, but I heard the crew also uses high-powered audio amplifiers, food cooking apparatus, and internal combustion engines.

They should never be allowed to ban those things ever again!

I thought the plural form of apparatus would be apparati, similar to how the plural of octopus is octopi.  (also alumnus and alumni)

But from what I just researched, both "apparatuses" and "apparatus" are acceptable plural uses.

I apologize for the tangent.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There is nothing inherently dangerous about using a non-surge protected power strip, or extension cord on a ship, it is just RCI's rule for passengers.  RCI can control crew, they have a much harder time controlling passengers, so they are more restrictive to passengers.  Also, crew use company approved, and inspected equipment.  Moreover, crew typically use a 220v power strip, which is designed for European use, and has a circuit breaker that interrupts both legs of the power, whereas US power strips only interrupt the "hot" leg, and in a shipboard application, this can lead to continued power to the power strip through the "neutral" leg.  This danger, from US consumer power strips when used on a ship, can be why RCI does not want any power strips to be used by passengers.

Chief: a question for you. Since some people may be concerned about their electronics being fried while on board, are power surges really very common at all on cruise ships? I would think that in a closed, controlled environment like a ship, surges would really be rare compared to at home or business where the electricity is coming from a large power company. Just curious.

Edited by joepeka

30 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Chief: a question for you. Since some people may be concerned about their electronics being fried while on board, are power surges really very common at all on cruise ships? I would think that in a closed, controlled environment like a ship, surges would really be rare compared to at home or business where the electricity is coming from a large power company. Just curious.

Power surges are virtually non-existent on ships.  Due to the floating ground (that causes problems with surge protectors) lightning strikes travel through the hull without affecting anything in the electrical system. And the ship doesn't use transformers like the land grid does. None of the ship's electronics are protected by surge protection,  and I've been on several ships that have received lightning strikes without any damage to anything electrical. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1