Confiscated on Anthem Today: “Cruise-Compliant” Non Surge Power Strip

Posted (edited)

I’ve used these on previous RCI cruises without a problem, but they were confiscated today from my carry on in the terminal screening in Cape Liberty. I was given a receipt and told that once onboard, security would check them and if found to be “ok”, they’d return them to me to use onboard.

Well that didn’t happen. I went to Guest Services. Spoke at length with supervisor and no go. Funny because other pax are using theirs  (per FB page). The only difference is that theirs were in their checked bag, and mine were in my carry on. Thinking back on previous cruises, mine were also in my checked bag and had zero issue. 

Lesson learned. 

thanks, 

teddie

IMG_9204.jpeg

Edited by teddie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

That is weird .. we use one very similar, never an issue. But, it has always been in our checked bag, as you mention. I guess that’s where we will put it from now on!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, teddie said:

I’ve used these on previous RCI cruises without a problem, but they were confiscated today from my carry on in the terminal screening in Cape Liberty. I was given a receipt and told that once onboard, security would check them and if found to be “ok”, they’d return them to me to use onboard.

Well that didn’t happen. I went to Guest Services. Spoke at length with supervisor and no go. Funny because other pax are using theirs  (per FB page). The only difference is that theirs were in their checked bag, and mine were in my carry on. Thinking back on previous cruises, mine were also in my checked bag and had zero issue. 

Lesson learned. 

thanks, 

teddie

IMG_9204.jpeg

There you go!

8 hours ago, teddie said:

I was given a receipt and told that once onboard, security would check them and if found to be “ok”, they’d return them to me to use onboard.

I'm betting it never made it onboard, hopefully it was a rookie that misspoke and it is waiting for you on return to port. 

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Just so you know, there is no such thing as "cruise compliant".  No cruise line certifies anything as being "compliant" with either the law or their rules.

I was just going to post the same thing.  Amazon uses statements like that  as a marketing tool.  "Cruise approved" is another one that is used which also doesn't exist except in the seller's mind.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

So are there any ways that are known to be o.k. with Royal Caribbean to expand the number of outlets in your cabin?

I learned the 'behind the bed near the phone jack' trick from one thread or another and put it to use last week on Allure. 

2 minutes ago, TravelinTess said:

I learned the 'behind the bed near the phone jack' trick from one thread or another and put it to use last week on Allure. 

The OP is on Anthem and there is a plug above the nightstand on one side of the bed.  They have made the outlets by the bed much more accessible on the newer ships.

• Like 1

I did note that this past Sunday was a bit "different" when we boarded the Wonder. We sail on her a lot (i think we have 8 cruises in the next 3 months) so we get to know the shore staff and exchange jokes, etc.

The x-ray screeners were taking all of the bottles of juice, water, etc. out and counting them. I have never noticed this before and when I asked what was going on she responded "we have been getting a little lax and some things are making it through that should not".

We did get our 6 pack of clamato juice through as well as two cartons of protein shakes.

The folks next to us at the other scanner were having to leave some soft drinks and water for pickup on return. (not sure why anyone needs that many packs of water).

In talking with others there was a very long line at the "naughty room" to pick up checked suitcases. This may be because they increase emphasis during Spring Break (which has most assuredly started)...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, shellunderwater said:

Did you speed on the way to the ship?  Doesn't make it legal.  Just didn't get caught...yet.

Know what you’re talking about before you make a comment like that.  Those devices are legal with no surge protection.  The person that confiscated it was misinformed.  Should have never been taken.

• Like 4

From what I seen, it’s the number of outlets. They really don’t want people plugging “n” things into 1 outlet.  We take a charging block with USB outlets which handles our phones, tablets and even my computer. 

5 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Know what you’re talking about before you make a comment like that.  Those devices are legal with no surge protection.  The person that confiscated it was misinformed.  Should have never been taken.

Well, I'll go with what Chief said above.  Nobody "approved" this as cruise line approved.    And based on prior discussions on this board, having the three prong plug on the back means you can't tell for sure by looking at it if it has surge protection or not.  So, their default will be to confiscate.

The charger i carry has only two prongs. I chose to not purchase this unit because their claim of being cruise line approved is pure marketing.

But thanks for playing along, we have some nice cruise line pens as your parting gift.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shellunderwater said:

Well, I'll go with what Chief said above.  Nobody "approved" this as cruise line approved.    And based on prior discussions on this board, having the three prong plug on the back means you can't tell for sure by looking at it if it has surge protection or not.  So, their default will be to confiscate.

The charger i carry has only two prongs. I chose to not purchase this unit because their claim of being cruise line approved is pure marketing.

But thanks for playing along, we have some nice cruise line pens as your parting gift.

I appreciate the pens and I’ll be sure to use them to write you off.😉

I’ll continue to use my outlets on my future cruises like my last couple dozen.  Hopefully I don’t run into the same employee as that poor cruiser did or We will obviously go without for that cruise.  1st world problem.  We’ll be fine.

I’ll send you a couple RCL key chains in the mean time.

Happy cruising!!

It’s Cape Liberty.  Had the same issue in September 2023 on Oasis with the same plug.  Never made it on the ship.  Have always had it in my carryon at other ports without an issue.  Will go into my checked bag from now on

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Found it.  June 2023 on Oasis of the Seas.

IMG_20230615_062053387.thumb.jpg.9bd0adcc9c7b14eb23b0cbd8b04c44de.jpg

I had to blow up the photo but yeah, I can see a typical power strip inside the glass. Muy malo.....

Edited by joepeka
  • Haha 1