Confiscated on Anthem Today: “Cruise-Compliant” Non Surge Power Strip

Cape Liberty won't allow any kind of extension cords or plug in extensions like the one pictured.
It's their port and that's their rules. 
We don't ever check luggage but if I did and wanted extension cords, this is the port I would check luggage in.

Ours (exactly the same) was taken last week also on Oasis along with many other passengers. I asked when I picked it up and they have changed the rules. Anything with multiple outlets are not allowed. It doesn’t matter if it has surge protection or not, corded or no cord. Not allowed anymore.

I’m sure some are still getting past security. 

11 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Ours (exactly the same) was taken last week also on Oasis along with many other passengers. I asked when I picked it up and they have changed the rules. Anything with multiple outlets are not allowed. It doesn’t matter if it has surge protection or not, corded or no cord. Not allowed anymore.

I’m sure some are still getting past security. 

If it's just multiple USB slots on one block will that also be taken then? Trying to get this all sorted for our first cruise in August (Ovation to Alaska).

I have used that same device on a cruise in December (Liberty) and again in January (Freedom). However on my sailing last week on Symphony,  it was confiscated!

I have a small cube that has two usb outlets in it as well as a usb charging cord with different connections. We have yet to have any issues charging things.  We plug our phones in overnight, our laptops when we are using them and our kindles and smart watches as we need to.  Smart watches charge in  a very short amount of time.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:14 PM, teddie said:

I’ve used these on previous RCI cruises without a problem, but they were confiscated today from my carry on in the terminal screening in Cape Liberty. I was given a receipt and told that once onboard, security would check them and if found to be “ok”, they’d return them to me to use onboard.

Well that didn’t happen. I went to Guest Services. Spoke at length with supervisor and no go. Funny because other pax are using theirs  (per FB page). The only difference is that theirs were in their checked bag, and mine were in my carry on. Thinking back on previous cruises, mine were also in my checked bag and had zero issue. 

Lesson learned. 

thanks, 

teddie

IMG_9204.jpeg

I’ve taken this exact power strip on several cruises , mostly Royal Caribbean ships but also I recently used it on Virgin Voyages Scarlet Lady, I’ve never had an issue getting it onboard or had them say anything about it being in my cabin. I do put it in my check bag though because it’s not an essential item I would need in my carry on. So this surprises me that you had an issue. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Celadith said:

If it's just multiple USB slots on one block will that also be taken then? Trying to get this all sorted for our first cruise in August (Ovation to Alaska).

No, you should be fine... that is what I use all the time one haven't had a problem.  

EDIT: Welcome to CC

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TravelinTess said:

I learned the 'behind the bed near the phone jack' trick from one thread or another and put it to use last week on Allure. 

What is the phone jack trick?

I had that exact same one pictured and on my last cruise on Harmony last year it was taken and it was in my checked bag. I have cruised with this out of Port Canaveral and San Juan and never a problem. Then on Harmony out of Miami my luggage wasn’t delivered but my wife’s was. We went to dinner and when we returned from dinner my luggage had been delivered with a note saying they confiscated my plug and I could get it back after the cruise. I didn’t really know where to go after the cruise to get it the morning of departure so I just said to hell with it and they can keep it. I am going to try again in June on Allure but in my carry on bag and see what happens. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Know what you’re talking about before you make a comment like that.  Those devices are legal with no surge protection.  The person that confiscated it was misinformed.  Should have never been taken.

Guest Services supervisor on board made it very clear that my confiscated items would not be returned to me for use during the cruise. Firm. 

The misinformed part was the security person in the terminal who told me that once onboard, someone from security would examine and return them to me. Nope. 

teddie 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Those devices are legal with no surge protection.

There is no legality about it.  Just as there is no illegality about surge protectors.  It is the cruise line's rules, and it is up to the cruise line to determine whether they allow anything onboard.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, teddie said:

Guest Services supervisor on board made it very clear that my confiscated items would not be returned to me for use during the cruise. Firm. 

Truth be told about these "Cruise On" multi-outlets.  A few years ago, when they first started marketing these as "cruise compliant", I was asked by a CC poster to look into them, and I found that alongside the advertising text saying "no surge protector" was a photo of the back of the unit that showed a VPN rating (Voltage Protection Number is the voltage where a surge protector "switches on" and sends the high voltage to ground), meaning the unit did have surge protection.  I investigated further, and found that "Cruise On" does not make these, but another company makes them and sells them as surge protected.  When contacted, "Cruise On" stated that the photo was a "marketing error", and that the units were indeed non-surge protected.  Now, the only way to know is to dissect the unit, destroying it.  I believe the unit no longer has a VPN on the back, so newer ones may not be surge protected.  It leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, and a bit of professional skepticism about this company going forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teddie said:

The misinformed part was the security person in the terminal who told me that once onboard, someone from security would examine and return them to me. Nope. 

teddie 

Items that are confiscated are put on a table in the terminal, beyond Customs and baggage pickup.  I believe one has to hand over the receipt to claim things.  Always lots of irons, cooking things, and a mixture of other items.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bigque said:

I had that exact same one pictured and on my last cruise on Harmony last year it was taken and it was in my checked bag. I have cruised with this out of Port Canaveral and San Juan and never a problem. Then on Harmony out of Miami my luggage wasn’t delivered but my wife’s was. We went to dinner and when we returned from dinner my luggage had been delivered with a note saying they confiscated my plug and I could get it back after the cruise. I didn’t really know where to go after the cruise to get it the morning of departure so I just said to hell with it and they can keep it. I am going to try again in June on Allure but in my carry on bag and see what happens. 

Are you saying they accessed your bag without permission, removed an item without you being present AND without issuing a receipt? I thought normal practice was to be called downstairs for you to open your bag and hand over an item.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Are you saying they accessed your bag without permission, removed an item without you being present AND without issuing a receipt? I thought normal practice was to be called downstairs for you to open your bag and hand over an item.

Yes that is correct. I thought the same thing but they went into my bag and confiscated without me being there. They did send a receipt though. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

2 hours ago, bigque said:

Yes that is correct. I thought the same thing but they went into my bag and confiscated without me being there. They did send a receipt though. 

While it may be "normal practice" to have the passenger present, the ticket contract gives the cruise line the right to search the cabin, baggage, or belongings at any time, with or without your permission or presence.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While it may be "normal practice" to have the passenger present, the ticket contract gives the cruise line the right to search the cabin, baggage, or belongings at any time, with or without your permission or presence.

They may well have permission to search per the contract I signed but  do they have permission to remove without me being present and presenting me with a receipt AT THE TIME. I would have expected it to be  in their own interest and it would seem prudent for the guest to be notified and present otherwise it is subject to all kinds of abuse and allegations. 

I would not expect my luggage to be tampered with and delivered missing objects. If additional objects are removed or damaged in excess of those listed on a receipt it becomes a “he said,  she said” scenario. I haven’t read the contract that closely as I am not in the habit of knowingly flaunting  the rules but I do think it leaves them open to allegations unnecessarily which they generally try to avoid.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 6:05 PM, ticketsunlimited said:

Know what you’re talking about before you make a comment like that.  Those devices are legal with no surge protection.  The person that confiscated it was misinformed.  Should have never been taken.

He is right, you are wrong. Royal Caribbean's published policy is no extension cords, and no power boards whether they are surge protected or not. Pretty much anything that turns one outlet into multiple outlets is technically against the rules. It being extremely rare for them to enforce the rules doesn't change what the rules are. The person who confiscated was following Royal Caribbean policy.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/faq/questions/can-i-bring-an-extension-onboard

Edited by Tolkmit
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 12:13 PM, Carlos A. said:

the phone jack trick

Behind one of the beds in a standard cabin you may find a US power socket. If you follow the phone line you will find it. 

Screenshot_20240322_211236_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

RCI’s policy on this item is very clear…extension cords are not allowed, which clearly applies to the OP’s item. What scares me is how many people are saying they bring the same or similar items and it never gets confiscated. If these items aren’t being caught, what is the likelihood that lethal items like a knife, gun, etc. will also not be caught? 

51 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If these items aren’t being caught, what is the likelihood that lethal items like a knife, gun, etc. will also not be caught? 

The security screeners at the port may not look for extension cords, buy they do for the items in your list.

58 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

RCI’s policy on this item is very clear…extension cords are not allowed, which clearly applies to the OP’s item.

How do you consider the OP's item to be an extension cord?  It doesn't have a cord.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

How do you consider the OP's item to be an extension cord?  It doesn't have a cord.

The link in post 45 above also pertains to not allowing power boards.