Told we pay extra $2 per drink on top of package in US port?

I apologize if this sparked some attacks and defends.  Confirmed yes it was a flat $2/drink from multiple bartenders.  He checked the pos system when we were in between Miami and Florida keys and it still states $2 no matter soda or alcohol.  I asked mgt to leave copy of policy or send me a copy where this is detailed.  Nothing came.  Going to call when back on shore.  I don't care a few dollars I just don't like not being informed or lied to or not told as do dozens of other couples whom we've encountered.

Prior poster is likely correct they justify with a handling or processing fee of $2 which includes any Florida tax.  I'll confirm and post if I can but thank all other posters for this topic.   

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, donaldsc said:

What are they doing w the extra $1.

That isn't NCL bashing.  It is calling it what it really is - NCL nickel and diming.  

Have you actually sailed on NCL?

The extra $1 is total BS. It doesn't exist.

We've never been charged anything but the government-imposed sales tax.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

From the sounds of post 27 things might have changed since it sounds like the OP is onboard right now.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

From the sounds of post 27 things might have changed since it sounds like the OP is onboard right now.

There have been no changes to NCL'S terms and conditions that would permit them to do this.

More than that, the fact that not one post made on the NCL board has reported this...and believe me some regular there would have screamed at the top of their lungs if it had happened to them makes me skeptical to say the least. 

Perhaps there's an innocent error in the programming of the tax calculation. Perhaps this first-time poster has misunderstood something or perhaps this is an instance of what we sometimes see on the internet from people who have an ax to grind. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

There have been no changes to NCL'S terms and conditions that would permit them to do this.

More than that, the fact that not one post made on the NCL board has reported this...and believe me some regular there would have screamed at the top of their lungs if it had happened to them makes me skeptical to say the least. 

Perhaps there's an innocent error in the programming of the tax calculation. Perhaps this first-time poster has misunderstood something or perhaps this is an instance of what we sometimes see on the internet from people who have an ax to grind. 

It is odd, we’ve always been charged just the sales tax (7%?). I’d try to find an answer while on the ship, 

17 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I am not bashing NCL.  I have not sailed NCL.  I am also not a "NCL can do no wrong" person.  However I can do the math.

1. Is NCL adding $2 per drink regardless of whether it is an alcoholic beverage at $10 cost per drink or a can of soda at $4 per drink.  Yes or no?  If "no" ignore the rest of this post.  If "yes" continue to the next question.

2. Is the sales tax at the locality about 8%. If so the sales tax on a can of soda should be 32 cents and the sales tax on the alcoholic beverage should be 80 cents.  

3.  If the answer to the 2 questions are "yes" then NCL is overcharging soda by $1.68 and the alcoholic beverage by $1.20.

Seems simple to me.  Where am I wrong and if I am wrong I apologize for wronging NCL.

DON

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

3.  If the answer to the 2 questions are "yes" then NCL is overcharging soda by $1.68 and the alcoholic beverage by $1.20.

Seems simple to me.  Where am I wrong and if I am wrong I apologize for wronging NCL.

I have not seen any back up of the claim of a $2 charge by the OP. Only OP says it happened. Doing math based on one claim by a new member who joined to post the claim seems premature. Also seems this thread belongs in the NCL forum so more NCL cruisers could see it. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I am not bashing NCL.  I have not sailed NCL.  I am also not a "NCL can do no wrong" person.  However I can do the math.

1. Is NCL adding $2 per drink regardless of whether it is an alcoholic beverage at $10 cost per drink or a can of soda at $4 per drink.  Yes or no?  If "no" ignore the rest of this post.  If "yes" continue to the next question.

2. Is the sales tax at the locality about 8%. If so the sales tax on a can of soda should be 32 cents and the sales tax on the alcoholic beverage should be 80 cents.  

DON

You can deny that you're bashing NCL from now until the cows come home, but to quote what you said: " It is calling it what it really is - NCL nickel and diming." If that isn't bashing when you don't have any personal experience on NCL and not one person has been able to substantiate the OP's claim, then I've never seen bashing.

Not one poster on the NCL board has posted so much as a word that would support this claim, and believe me it would have been a hot topic if it had happened.

I'm pretty sure that I can do simple grade school level arithmetic since I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in mathematics...in fact I'm sure everyone posting on this thread can do the arithmetic. You can make up all the hypothetical math you want but until you have some actual evidence your examples are nothing more than idle speculation.

• Like 2