Need help narrowing down what to do in each port

Sazsazyeah

Posted (edited)

Hi - Cruising to Alaska in mid to late August with Disney. Our ports of call are ISP, Juneau and Ketchikan. We are going to be in Vancouver the day before and a couple of days afterwards (and if something is recommended in Vancouver instead such as whale watching that’s fine)

We would really like to see / do the following: 

- Whale watching, we would love to see Orcas more than any other, we’ve done a few whale watching trips in the past

Bears - I think seeing bears is my number one thing to do 

Kayak 

Get close to (can you hike near?) a glacier 

We love nature and the outdoors and wildlife. We are 2 adults and independent so happy to do things away from excursions such as use any public transport, hike, take a training or hire a car etc. happy to do multiple things in one day 

I’ve started googling and I’m seeing these ports offer these activities but haven’t been able to narrow down which port to do which in so any help would be amazing.

Thank you 🙂

Edited by Sazsazyeah
Added

Given your interest in Orcas and since you will be spending a few days in Vancouver, I would recommend you do your whale watching there. There are good options to choose from and much better odds of seeing orcas in that region where there are several resident pods. Orcas are very rare on Alaska based whale watch trips. We have seen them only out of Vancouver and Victoria. 

Bear viewing is possible in both Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan in August as the salmon will be running. In Icy Strait Point you may see brown bears on a tour - although there is never a guarantee. In Ketchikan, you will often be able to observe black bears catching salmon at Herring Cove. We have had very good luck there on our trips. 

in terms of kayaking, there are very good options in both ISP with Hoonah Travel Adventures and with a few different companies in Ketchikan. 

So I would decide which is your priority for trying bear viewing (brown or black) and then book your kayak tour at the other port. Just remember, bears can be elusive but your chances improve when there is salmon and they are feeding. 

For glacier hiking, your only real option on this itinerary is Juneau. Mendenhall has receded quite a lot, but there are hikes there to Nugget Falls, or even a canoe excursion that takes you right up to the glacier and the allows for hiking nearby and even in ice caves. Other options would involve a helicopter flight that lands on the glacier - very cool from what people have reported but super expensive. 

Do your research on each port based on these preferences you’ve expressed and you will find vendors that you can ask about here or vet via online reviews. 

Thank you so much - super useful and appropriate the time taken to let me know - it’s really given me some good starting points and a number of those bits were familiar to me from the research I have been doing which is great!

Orcas are our preference so it does look like Vancouver for that which is fine.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sazsazyeah said:

We would really like to see / do the following: 

- Whale watching, we would love to see Orcas more than any other, we’ve done a few whale watching trips in the past

Bears - I think seeing bears is my number one thing to do 

Kayak 

Get close to (can you hike near?) a glacier 

We love nature and the outdoors and wildlife. We are 2 adults and independent so happy to do things away from excursions such as use any public transport, hike, take a training or hire a car etc. happy to do multiple things in one day 

I’ve started googling and I’m seeing these ports offer these activities but haven’t been able to narrow down which port to do which in so any help would be amazing.

Thank you 🙂

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As a hobby photographer, Alaska is my favorite cruise region.

I have been on 15 whale watching excursions and saw orcas only once.  ISP is my favorite location for whales because they are so active.  I strongly recommend the Mendenhall Glacier Walk in Juneau and definitely a stop at the Glacier Smoothie Soap Shop on Franklin Street.  My favorite excursion is feeding the eagles on the Bering Sea Crab Fishing excursion.

Orca in Juneau Auke Bay mere feet from our small excursion boat

image.jpeg.208ad3826fb25a5febb934906ff9e8ba.jpeg

ISP for bubble feeding humpback whales

image.jpeg.9f994d0c051c9d5c296bb42cc217203e.jpeg

Glacier Trek via helicopter in Juneau

image.jpeg.190550dcbf92e1e3f83958ec51b1ab3d.jpeg

image.jpeg.fdf3929eb45531db46ba77e76f155983.jpeg

Ketchikan Crab Fishing with eagle feeding

image.jpeg.39b93167f7d5cbe7ee14c8721849d394.jpeg

• Like 3

ISP - I like Glacier Wind in Hoonah: https://www.g-wind.com . You can also do whale watching in Juneau: https://jayleensalaska.com or https://www.harvandmarvs-juneau-whale-watching.com

I only see orcas about 1/3 of the time.

Bears - ISP or Ketchikan. I have used this company in ISP/Hoonha: http://geestahuntours.com I did whale watching in the morning and wildlife viewing in afternoon.

Looking at Disney's port times looks to me that you have time to do more than one in ISP. Maybe bears and kayak. Herring Cove in Ketch for bears. Juneau helo to glacier, or whales. Mendenhall has receded over the years and soon will not be visible from visitor center. Without helo or canoe very far from glacier. Check youtube for tours. Look for the newest individual ones not the ad ones. Just about every tour you can find will be on there.