New to Princess, and confused about dining. Please help!

Mousear1

We’re going on the Grand Princess, Vancouver to Anchorage, and the onto Denali.  We are staying in a suite (with our adult son with us, it’s a necessity!).

I am totally at sea (snicker) about our dining options. I understand we can sit in a special section of the dining room. How do I book that?

Also, we are supposed to have two casual meals included. What restaurants offer there’s?

Thanks for your help! We’re not new to cruising, but we are new to Princess.

If you are in a full suite you have access to the Reserve Class dining area for dinner and lunch on sea days. For breakfast you can eat there or in the suite breakfast area with great service and free mimosas. It is usually in Sabatini’s but may be in a different venue. You do not and actually cannot make reservations just show up and you will be seated within minutes. 2 free casual meals would be if you have the plus package the suite really doesn’t have any 

• Like 2

Thanks,, memoak and arizonaperson! We do have a full suite and the plus cruise package. How do I book the reserve class dining and the two casual meals?

I’ve read about Alfredo’s, but not about Vines. Is Vines a full service restaurant or just a wine bar?

21 minutes ago, Mousear1 said:

Thanks,, memoak and arizonaperson! We do have a full suite and the plus cruise package. How do I book the reserve class dining and the two casual meals?

I’ve read about Alfredo’s, but not about Vines. Is Vines a full service restaurant or just a wine bar?

You cannot make reservations for reserve class dining. Just show up and you will be seated within minutes.  Casual venues do not take reservations on any ship I have been on. Vines is a wine bar that serves a 3 course meal of crudities, charcuterie plate and truffles   One is plenty of food for 2 people

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mousear1 said:

You do not need to make reservations for Reserve class dining.. that's part of the draw : basically immediate seating upon arrival.  

Casual dining cannot be reserved in advance and most venues, regardless of ship, do not take reservations - it's casual, not reserved.   Walk up when you like, during open hours.

Vines is a casual dining venue and wine bar. You can go and enjoy better wines whenever they're open, you don't have to eat to enjoy it (it also has a full service bar, but I never quite understood why one would go to a wine bar for a Pina colada, lol).  

They do serve food - it's a charcuterie board set up. Crudites, cheese straws,  huge serving meat and cheese board and truffles for dessert... 

PXL_20231113_222342713.MP.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

Vines is a casual dining venue and wine bar. You can go and enjoy better wines whenever they're open, you don't have to eat to enjoy it (it also has a full service bar, but I never quite understood why one would go to a wine bar for a Pina colada, lol).  

They do serve food - it's a charcuterie board set up. Crudites, cheese straws,  huge serving meat and cheese board and truffles for dessert... 

For someone who is accompanying wine aficionados but does not like wine, an alternative is offered.  The other reason may be that Good Spirits is crowded.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

You can go and enjoy better wines whenever they're open, you don't have to eat to enjoy it (it also has a full service bar, but I never quite understood why one would go to a wine bar for a Pina colada, lol). 

Kinda funny - I was just going to ask about other drink availability at Vines.  I'm a wine drinker, but hubby isn't, and he has mobility issues.  It will be nice for him to be able to get a drink without having to bring it from another bar.

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

For someone who is accompanying wine aficionados but does not like wine, an alternative is offered.  The other reason may be that Good Spirits is crowded.  

Vines however does not have a real varied stock of hard liquor so it may limit what cocktails they can make   I would not plan on anything too exotic 

47 minutes ago, memoak said:

Vines however does not have a real varied stock of hard liquor so it may limit what cocktails they can make   I would not plan on anything too exotic 

Precisely. While it does have a basic standard bar set-up - it doesn't stock everything.

4 hours ago, satxdiver said:

And my comment was directed more to those who hit up Vines for cocktails or such while not accompanying anyone drinking wine. There's loads of bars around the ship, that specialize in different things - Vines specializes in wine. Coming there, taking up seating and ordering a Cosmo and a Milky Way is somewhat incongruous, given there's a literal martini bar aboard.. 

Accompanying someone enjoying wine, being there to enjoy the charcuterie, etc - sure, makes complete sense.  Going to a wine bar to order a Pina colada - with no other extenuating circumstances? Hmmm.....