Ocean Cay experience - compared to when sailing MSC YC? “Downgrade”?

TrinaLC

We have sailed MSC’S Yacht Club quite a few times and really enjoyed the YC enclave on Ocean Cay. (True, the YC beach is rocky, but the overall experience with the dedicated dining is very nice.)

When Explora docks at Ocean Cay, only the Residences get to use the YC enclave. Everyone else is relegated to the “steerage” area, including a buffet area designed to serve thousands at a mass cruise level. Frankly, going from YC to “steerage” at Explora prices seems a serious downgrade. 

Is anything done to make the OC day match up to Explora pricing and expected luxury for the cabins not entitled to the use of the YC enclave?  Maybe a serious upgrade to the food and service on the island?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ocean Cay experience might differ for you either way. I only experienced it as an Explora passenger. I was able to walk everywhere! Even the YC enclave. No one cared or checked which cabin. There was no buffet or extensive food offer anywhere on the island, which explains this. Two or three open food trucks , that was it, I believe none at the YC area. Only drinks. In fact we were actually asked to dine on board , they explained there would’ve only limited foodtruck options ashore. 

All that made sense, as the island felt deserted with the Explora passengers. It is built in mind for a few thousand passengers , not for 700. As nice as it was in its own weird way, it felt a bit strange. Also, picturing it with 5000 passengers made me cringe. I would have gone back to the ship within five minutes if it were full like that. 

But that’s just me. Long story short, you do not need the YC area. It is there however and you can for sure enjoy drinks there if you wish. But it won’t be the same as in YC. 

Edited by mike@sea
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TrinaLC said:

Is anything done to make the OC day match up to Explora pricing and expected luxury for the cabins not entitled to the use of the YC enclave?  Maybe a serious upgrade to the food and service on the island?

First let me say we’ve done 3 EJ cruises, and have had wonderful voyages. However, we were not thrilled with our private island experience.  We experienced a bit of weather on our cruise and ended up tendering on our Ocean Cay day. After several attempts to dock, we finally made it to the island around lunchtime. We were the only ship there. While I enjoyed the island, felt the amenities were lacking. We were not in the Residence Suites, so can’t comment on the YC area. The large dining area didn’t open and most of the food trucks were also closed. The ship provided a mediocre bbq on the beach, and the 3 bars that were open offered underwhelming beach cocktails in tiny plastic cup and horrible sparkling wine. In hindsight, we should have stayed on the ship and enjoyed much better pools, food, champagne and cocktails. Did climb the lighthouse which was quick fun. 

Posted (edited)

The very nice Mike (who is even nicer in person!) beat me to the punch.

If you're getting off one of the big MSC ships, his number of 5000 is absolutely correct. MSC did a brilliant job of dressing up what is arguably the worst beach on the island and making it "exclusive". Just 'cause it's "special" doesn't mean it's the best.

On our sailing (same one as MIke), we docked after lunch so we had already eaten.  We had our choice of spots with shade and umbrellas as we were sailing with "only" 650 passengers.

Food trucks were open for lite bites/tapas and the bar had bottles of image.thumb.png.806e622be215b2e61e717a0724c2e506.png

While not Champage, it's not particularly cheap either!  I was serving as waiter for our group of 5 and as my carrying skills are not worth *%&*^%, I asked the bartender if I could just get the glasses and entire bottles. No problem!

An extremely relaxing afternoon.

I totally respect PrivateIdaho's posts so experiences may differ.

We've also sailed in YC many times and have no intention to return.

Explora is totally a ballgame of a different colour!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 1

Dr Cocktail, didn’t you find the OC experience devalued after having experienced the full “YC treatment”?  

and I guess we don’t know yet what the experience will be like with a normal docking …

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

Dr Cocktail, didn’t you find the OC experience devalued after having experienced the full “YC treatment”?  

and I guess we don’t know yet what the experience will be like with a normal docking …

I think that you have to get out of the entire "YC mindset".  The YC pampers you by making you feel special among a vast crowd. They emphasize this with the private decks, lounges and restaurants.

Explora, like most of the luxury lines is far more egalitarian - everyone is treated the same, that is - fabulously ! Better food, better restaurants, few announcements and a well-travelled crowd.

I wish that I could explain it better - It's an overall quieter, more refined and relaxed experience. No real lines, no noise. Definitely no bling!  My expectations of a private island were minimal.

It was just nice to pull up to the dock (no tendering), walk off and have a relaxed day with friends.

We were literally seated and chatting four minutes after stepping off the dock.  The true luxury is and was space and no fuss.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 4

Well, I get that, except the Residences are treated differently. They get to experience the YC area on OC which we have always enjoyed. So why should we not feel as second class citizens? 

A venue that we have had as YC guests is now for another higher “first class”.   

So how is this egalitarian? everyone treated as the same?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Well, I get that, except the Residences are treated differently. They get to experience the YC area on OC which we have always enjoyed. So why should we not feel as second class citizens? 

A venue that we have had as YC guests is now for another higher “first class”.   

So how is this egalitarian? everyone treated as the same?

I have no problem when out of a maximum of 461 suites, only 5% of those that paid three times what I paid have access to the YC area. Especially when the island is basically empty.

But ... and with no disrespect intended, if this is unacceptable to you, don't book. Aside from Ocean Cay, you have universal access to everything on the ship.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We were on the Ocean Cay on the 7th of March,  and what a lovely day. We had a leisurely lunch in the Emporium Marketplace and then off to the beach ⛱️ No lines, no crowds and a relaxing atmosphere. They offered burgers, salads, fruit and drinks from a few food trucks on the beach close to the ship. The Lighthouse was also open. The ship didn't sail until late in the evening. Here are some pics from the day 😃

We were also on the Ocean Cay in YC with the MSC Seascape, in March 2023. The YC area is very nice but the day with Explora was just as nice 👌 And the island is so beautiful. 

20240307_112247.jpg

20240307_133510.jpg

20240307_134645.jpg

20240307_143223.jpg

20240307_143820.jpg

20240307_143422.jpg

20240307_153622.jpg

20240307_135033.jpg

20240307_181524.jpg

20240307_190840.jpg

Edited by Norwegian Cruiser 73
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I think that you have to get out of the entire "YC mindset".  The YC pampers you by making you feel special among a vast crowd. They emphasize this with the private decks, lounges and restaurants.

Explora, like most of the luxury lines is far more egalitarian - everyone is treated the same, that is - fabulously ! Better food, better restaurants, few announcements and a well-travelled crowd.

I wish that I could explain it better - It's an overall quieter, more refined and relaxed experience. No real lines, no noise. Definitely no bling!  My expectations of a private island were minimal.

It was just nice to pull up to the dock (no tendering), walk off and have a relaxed day with friends.

We were literally seated and chatting four minutes after stepping off the dock.  The true luxury is and was space and no fuss.

Perfectly explained!  If you want to feel you’re treated far better than others (and perhaps have access to places and other “symbols”) EJ is not for you. If that isn’t what draws you to YC then EJ is certainly worth a chance. 

I felt very special on my first cruise, the pool butler knew my seating and lounger layout preferences and the times I liked drinks by Day 2. I was in an OT. Our second cruise when we saw the good Doctor onboard we had a penthouse. Actually our butler - whatever you call him - was much less good to the extent we had him swapped out. And our “treatment” outside the room was no different to Cruise 1. It was equally special and very enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Is the golf cart transportation available to all guests or just the Residences?  We also have sailed in the Yacht Club and enjoyed that perk.  I would like to think that the food experiences on Explora on the island would be upgraded from what is regularly offered on MSC to their regular passengers.  I recall sailing on Seabourn to Carambola and being treated to caviar, champagne, and a delicious lobster bbq.