Very limited options in Buffet line on NCL Sky

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

That's not really the point though. I just leave my phone and key card on the table.

That's great if you have your phone with you - I don't carry mine. But maybe leaving my key card would work.

8 minutes ago, julig22 said:

That's great if you have your phone with you - I don't carry mine. But maybe leaving my key card would work.

Ahhh, you really meant you don't take anything with you! I'm never without my phone (photos, people, photos)!!

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm never without my phone...

you just said you leave it on the table as you explore the buffet!

what happens if you see hash browns or cookies?

nobody will ever believe it without that all important photo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, UKstages said:

Well, of course I would not report on such ghosts re-appearing for fear of being told "it didn't happen on my sailing," so it's impossible to have occurred on yours, despite photos/implorations. I'd just skip back to my table and enjoy my fancy hash browns. I don't care about NCL cookies - they're far too crispy for my liking. 

wait. what?

you're saying that there are those on cruise critic who doubt your personal lived experience?

fortunately, i haven't experienced such a thing.

(in the last hour or so.)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

Forget the phone.

Time to head for the sick bay - report of delusional behavior.

🤪

13 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Forget the phone.

Time to head for the sick bay - report of delusional behavior.

🤪

I didn't get the travel insurance, so I'm out of luck! You'll just have to deal with me. I may have my phone. Or I may not have my phone. I'll always be cruising the buffet looking for those mini grease sponges.

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I didn't get the travel insurance, so I'm out of luck! You'll just have to deal with me. I may have my phone. Or I may not have my phone. I'll always be cruising the buffet looking for those mini grease sponges.

Who knows what fish may be roving out there at sea...happy hunting!

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 4:06 PM, cruiseny4life said:

I go to the buffet solo, because my husband wants nothing to do with it. I try it out, just to see if there's anything good. I get tiny portions (this is very hard for a guy with limited self-control, hence I'm a big guy). I go back often to try everything and generally don't finish anything, because it just isn't good. That's not really the point though. I just leave my phone and key card on the table. I've never had a buffet crew member (roving bartender? bar server? waiter? server? plate cleaner upper?) take anything but my plate. If I keep my utensils on the plate, they don't take the plate. It's worked every time on Pr1ma, Joy, and Getaway. 

Great tip there... so just leave the utensils on the plate.  I've been wondering how to stop them from taking my plate!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, outbackpaul said:

Great tip there... so just leave the utensils on the plate.  I've been wondering how to stop them from taking my plate!

Except that it probably won't deter an overeager waiter. Never has for me.  I always leave my utensils on the plate, my napkin on my chair. And there is always the possibility that someone will claim the table if the buffet is crowded.

I think I'm going to have to start bringing my phone with me, first as a place-holder - but I also might need it to snap a picture of the elusive hash browns or cookies, if they happen to appear!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, outbackpaul said:

Not sure. I've been told that utensils on the plate mean you're done. Different customs, different places?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, outbackpaul said:

It's worked for me! But, I understand it may not work every time. Also, I don't have a lot of experience as I typically only go to the buffet 1 - 3 times per cruise total.

10 hours ago, julig22 said:

Except that it probably won't deter an overeager waiter. Never has for me.  I always leave my utensils on the plate, my napkin on my chair. And there is always the possibility that someone will claim the table if the buffet is crowded.

I think I'm going to have to start bringing my phone with me, first as a place-holder - but I also might need it to snap a picture of the elusive hash browns or cookies, if they happen to appear!!

I wish all NCL staff were trained to know that a napkin on the chairback is a longstanding symbol the diner has left momentarily. I'm not so sure this is trained as I've used that method several times only to see a surprised crew member when I return. 

And 🙂 

10 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Not sure. I've been told that utensils on the plate mean you're done. Different customs, different places?

Only if at a certain angle...and only at that angle in western cultures. 

image.png.e90aa4ff778f84ba4bdc94b4cc2e20ea.png

Personally, I choose the first option depicted. 

Source: https://www.candacesmithetiquette.com/utensil-placement.html

Can we talk about removing same course service items BEFORE everyone at the table is finished? That annoys me more than anything and happens everywhere I go (and yes, I go to more places than Olive Garden, y'all). It even happens in the Haven and every specialty restaurant. Ok, now I'm just being pedantic, but it gets me! 

I could go on, but I'll spare you - not so sure anything above applies to the buffet. 🙂 

If I had to rate my enjoyment of a cruise on the quality of a buffet, I'd probably never cruise again. My buffet exposure is maybe a chocolate croissant while passing through, along with maybe a slice or two of pizza taken out to the pool. Otherwise, buffets are just...(how do I say this nicely?)...buffets. I'll leave it at that. 

Our food choices are either MDR or Specialty (with the occasional Local or O'Sheahan's...assuming they get the wings crispy). The buffet is just an afterthought. And usually not a very good one. (Especially with the crowds and having to fight for a seat).

No, thanks...

Fish curry last night was excellent. 

IMG_3988.thumb.jpeg.48560065669c8b90ebd49cc8442af0d9.jpeg

Baked Brie is my favorite dish so far on this cruise. It’s served hot. This dish is amazing you need to order if it’s on the menu. 

IMG_3794.thumb.jpeg.b5c2ac5e86c2793281d44908560a1ea9.jpeg

French toast goes very well with banana compote. 

IMG_3512.thumb.jpeg.c0b849e1a924495d74f2c662febf8c70.jpeg

My usual breakfast plate. I cruised with NCL often enough to know that I need to bring my own coffee. 

IMG_4158.thumb.jpeg.3515b0e7dc4f0708b038c220097a4a37.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought Dutch egg biscuits or eierkoeken from Bonaire. It’s a fluffy lightly-sweet cake. I really love them. Taste better than the pancakes on board. 

IMG_4159.thumb.jpeg.186e96bab30ee4106eeea83b6e29ba09.jpeg

Do the chefs and cooks on NCL check food temperatures?  Generally, health standards require that "hot" food be about 130F when served.  I've seen Holland America chefs and cooks checking foods on their buffets, but this will be my first NCl cruise.  I'd think that any cruise line would want to avoid issues with food spoliage or contamination, so I am surprised to see so many comments about "luke warm or cold" food on the Sky.  Do you complain and request food be at proper temperature?  I sure will, I'm paying for it after all.

55 minutes ago, evalbert said:

Do the chefs and cooks on NCL check food temperatures?  Generally, health standards require that "hot" food be about 130F when served.  I've seen Holland America chefs and cooks checking foods on their buffets, but this will be my first NCl cruise.  I'd think that any cruise line would want to avoid issues with food spoliage or contamination, so I am surprised to see so many comments about "luke warm or cold" food on the Sky.  Do you complain and request food be at proper temperature?  I sure will, I'm paying for it after all.

Yes, they do.

1 hour ago, evalbert said:

Of course they temp it. 

On 4/2/2024 at 8:59 PM, zqvol said:

Of course they temp it. 

It might be the food is at the correct temperature going into the Bain-Marie’s but  isn’t holding its heat. The food is cooling down too quickly maybe the equipment isn’t working properly.