Entertainment changes

15 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Hear, hear!

I wonder how many people in the 19th century used to say, "Oh no! Not Beethoven's 9th again!"

I'm not saying future generations will remember the Step One Dance Company routines like we revere the Beethoven symphonies. But I do think that their four programs should be viewed and enjoyed as choreographed artworks akin to ballet. 

On our recent 28-day cruise aboard Westerdam, the Step One dancers performed each of their four programs twice. For us it was our first time with the one called Move. I was astounded at how well the choreography, staging, and effects adapted to suit Westerdam's proscenium stage. We were particularly graced with three top-notch couples who were equally balanced in their virtuosity. That's not always been the case.

It SODC has gone the way of LCS, I need to brace myself for another major disappointment.

BTW, I am of a wholly different opinion w/r/t BBC Earth. If I never have to see those infernal snakes again, I'll count myself lucky.

The snake thing gave me nightmares. If that's Holland America's idea of entertainment, well, I am plenty puzzled.

On 3/23/2024 at 2:44 PM, jeh10641 said:

Repetition is NOT a bad thing if you enjoyed what you saw.

Jim

Once you are old enough, every repeat performance is a new one.

No matter how good a performance is, eventually it is time for a change.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

For the record, we disembarked the Rotterdam on March 17 , 2024, during that cruise there was a Steel Pan Group called Island Magic who took this style of music to the next level……

If you have the opportunity to attend one of their performances don’t pass it up.

Edited by horseymike
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, horseymike said:

For the record, we disembarked the Rotterdam on March 17 , 2024, during that cruise there was a Steel Pan Group called Island Magic who took this style of music to the next level……

If you have the opportunity to attend one of their performances don’t pass it up.

We would have loved this! Sounds like entertainment will differ greatly from ship to ship. We also saw a one-man-band Beatles tribute on our March 17 sailing.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Hear, hear!

I wonder how many people in the 19th century used to say, "Oh no! Not Beethoven's 9th again!"

I'm not saying future generations will remember the Step One Dance Company routines like we revere the Beethoven symphonies. But I do think that their four programs should be viewed and enjoyed as choreographed artworks akin to ballet. 

On our recent 28-day cruise aboard Westerdam, the Step One dancers performed each of their four programs twice. For us it was our first time with the one called Move. I was astounded at how well the choreography, staging, and effects adapted to suit Westerdam's proscenium stage. We were particularly graced with three top-notch couples who were equally balanced in their virtuosity. That's not always been the case.

It SODC has gone the way of LCS, I need to brace myself for another major disappointment.

BTW, I am of a wholly different opinion w/r/t BBC Earth. If I never have to see those infernal snakes again, I'll count myself lucky.

Hi, Petronillus,

Exactly. Maurice Sendak designed sets for the Pacific NW Ballet's version of The Nutcracker and we went to see it several times over a few years. Never got tired of it.

Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

The snake thing gave me nightmares. If that's Holland America's idea of entertainment, well, I am plenty puzzled.

As long as there no spiders, I am okay with BBC.

Jim

50 minutes ago, horseymike said:

I love Steel Drum Calypso (and more) music. We did not have that on our Rotterdam cruise in 2021 (Caribbean).

Jim

• Like 1

I am not sure , but did I read that HAL has done away with the BB King Blues Club Band? We are contemplating the NS or ROTTERDAM, and that would be a deal breaker. Where does the Steal Drum Calypso play? Sounds great! 

thank you in advance for clarifying! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

did I read that HAL has done away with the BB King Blues Club Band? We are contemplating the NS or ROTTERDAM, and that would be a deal breake

BB Kings is still available on the Rotterdam, Koningsdam and NS.  It was the best venue on the NS for the first two weeks in March.  The Billboard piano players couldn’t sing and the Rolling Stone band had no charisma.  Unfortunately, BBs is gone from all the other ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

BB Kings is still available on the Rotterdam, Koningsdam and NS.  It was the best venue on the NS for the first two weeks in March.  The Billboard piano players couldn’t sing and the Rolling Stone band had no charisma.  Unfortunately, BBs is gone from all the other ships.

Thanks much for the info. BB King is in our opinion the best entertainment onboard. It’s a beautiful venue, fun to dance and almost always have great musicians in their groups. 

if HAL removes BB KING, from the Pinnacle class, we will move on. Unfortunately we like many book far in advance and who knows what HAL will do next. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Was on NS March 17-24 and the entertainment/activity offerings were abysmal.  No welcome aboard presentation, no EXC talks and very limited use of the World Stage. Cruise Director Stephane said that World Stage was closed for new production rehearsals for 3 weeks.  Unfortunately, those new productions "Song & Dance" and "All That" were not good. Besides the 2 musical shows, there was one comedian (did two shows) and another comedian/magician once.  At least 3 of the 7 nights offered no poolside movie.  The Rolling Stone musicians were not charismatic (or good) and the Billboard pianists were so-so.  The BB King All Star band was the exception - they were fantastic and gave us something we looked forward to each night. Holland excels in many areas - their entertainment/activity programming is not one of them.

Edited by ajgobucks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ajgobucks said:

Was on NS March 17-24 and the entertainment/activity options were abysmal.  No welcome aboard presentation, no EXC talks and very limited use of the World Stage. Cruise Director Stephane said that World Stage was closed for new production rehearsals for 3 weeks.  Unfortunately, those new productions "Song & Dance" and "All That" were not good. Besides the 2 musical shows, there was a comedian (two nights) and another comedian/magician once.  At least 3 of the 7 nights offered no poolside movie.  The Rolling Stone musicians were not charismatic (or good) and the Billboard pianists were so-so.  The BB King All Star band was the exception - they were fantastic and gave us something we looked forward to each night. Holland excels in many areas - their entertainment/activity programming is not one of them.

COMPLETELY AGREE! That is the reason we shy away from booking with them. 

2 hours ago, bandp407 said:

I am not sure , but did I read that HAL has done away with the BB King Blues Club Band? We are contemplating the NS or ROTTERDAM, and that would be a deal breaker. Where does the Steal Drum Calypso play? Sounds great! 

thank you in advance for clarifying! 

As of March 17 2024 the BB King All Stars were performing most nights on the Rotterdam. We cruised from March 8 - March 18 , 2024.

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, horseymike said:

As of March 17 2024 the BB King All Stars were performing most nights on the Rotterdam. We cruised from March 8 - March 18 , 2024.

Hope this helps. 

Thanks much! Hope you enjoyed your cruise!

Our last HAL was the NS IN 2019 & we enjoyed it very much. We have primarily sailed with Celebrity since, due to our hesitation with the lack of good live music ( other than BB KING) & the entertainment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, horseymike said:

Hope this helps. 

BB King was still performing on Nieuw Statendam March 17-24 as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Thanks much! Hope you enjoyed your cruise!

Our last HAL was the NS IN 2019 & we enjoyed it very much. We have primarily sailed with Celebrity since, due to our hesitation with the lack of good live music ( other than BB KING) & the entertainment. 

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. Thanks. 

18 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Bring back the two piano players.  The one piano player isn’t cutter.  Here’s a picture from the Rotterdam tonight.  

IMG_2093.jpeg

Oh boy- not exciting! Any music in the Ocean Bar around dinner time?How about piped in music around the aft pool during the day? 

Enjoy your cruise!

30 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Bring back the two piano players.  The one piano player isn’t cutter.  Here’s a picture from the Rotterdam tonight.  

IMG_2093.jpeg

It is not the number of piano players. It is the ability of the piano players to get the passengers involved. A single piano player works better in a smaller venue. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Suncoastsailors said:

It is not the number of piano players. It is the ability of the piano players to get the passengers involved. A single piano player works better in a smaller venue. 

This piano player is fine, it’s just not the same program.  People enjoyed the 2 player concept much more.  It’s been that way throughout the entire cruise 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

People enjoyed the 2 player concept much more.  

Not all enjoyed it more.  We found it grating and irritating. More of a mismatch than anything else.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Not all enjoyed it more.  We found it grating and irritating. More of a mismatch than anything else.

I agree 100%. We avoid this venue. We do however enjoy the music of BB King and Rolling Stone Rock Room.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Maybe there were some people that didn’t like it, but the piano lounge was always packed.  Not so with just one performer.

• Like 1