Queen Victoria PG questions

Travelbird22

7 minutes ago, Travelbird22 said:

Can you join a large table as a Solo Traveller in the Princess Grill?

And I keep reading about enclosed balconies vs glass? I’m booked on the QV soon, and all the balconies seem to be glass?

Wow!  An old thread coming back to life!  Yes, you can join a large table in PG either as a solo or as a couple.  I am not sure what you are referencing in regards to glass on the QV balconies.  If you are in a PG suite, you will have a very nice normal balcony.

22 minutes ago, tv24 said:

Wow!  An old thread coming back to life!  Yes, you can join a large table in PG either as a solo or as a couple.  I am not sure what you are referencing in regards to glass on the QV balconies.  If you are in a PG suite, you will have a very nice normal balcony.

4 hours ago, Travelbird22 said:

Thank you. If you like to dine outside- are the Grills the only option?

Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth offer the Court Yard ( deck 11) for Alfresco Dining, weather permitting and is for Grill guests only.

Queen Mary 2 does not offer that same concept for Grill guests, however, there is an option for 'all category of guests' at the 'Board Walk cafe' ( Deck 12 during lunch time only) however, having said that, I have never experienced it or seen it open on any of the 16 'Transatlantic' voyages I've taken. Being situated high up on deck 12 I expect this venue is more suitable during warm weather cruising. 

Posted (edited)

The largest table in PG on both QE & QV is usually a mix of solo travellers and couples who always look like they are having a whale of a time, saying that we have met solo travellers in PG who prefer to eat alone, so you are not forced to mix if you don't want to. As already stated the QE & QV Courtyard, situated between the PG & QG restaurants is for alfresco dining.

IMG_20231007_093954_hdr.jpg_compressed.thumb.JPEG.eb728d6d8e90671bf4061b525f21d01f.JPEG

https://photo.rakkor.uk/mo/sharing/a3Nl2zDca

Viewed from the Deck 12 Grills Terrace 

Edited by rakkor

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Travelbird22 said:

And I keep reading about enclosed balconies vs glass? I’m booked on the QV soon, and all the balconies seem to be glass?

If a solo traveller in PG you may well be put in the large table half-way down the PG restaurant, which has really good sea views. It can seat 10, but they normally put 7 or 8 on it, but some people will arrive early or late or not all for a given meal, so there's plenty of space. It seems the default, unless you prefer to be on a table for 2. Sometimes that table also has a couple or two on it, some Cunarders want the larger table. As already mentioned, it frequently become the noisiest table! The tables are all movable, so on an individual sailing it could be in a different place, but I've done a couple of PGs on QV recently and that was the set-up there. 

The Courtyard tables work in places like the Caribbean when the QV isn't speeding along, but if it's mid Atlantic then it's a bit too chilly - it can be a bit of wind trap unfortunately.

Sheltered balconies, of which I am fond, are not available to PG travellers, all Sheltereds are in Britannia restaurant. The larger metal fronted balconies on the Forward section of Deck 4 are for Britannia passengers too, the small number of PG balconies on Deck 4 have glass fronts and are more Mid, as have the PG equivalents on Decks 5 to 8.

Edited by Pushpit

8 hours ago, Travelbird22 said:

You most certainly can. You can nominate which size table you'd prefer to be seated at by logging into your booking via the My Cunard link on their website. If you choose early or late dining (as opposed to open seating) you will have a fixed time to dine and be at the same table with the same guests each dinner time. It's a great option for solo travellers.

6 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

You most certainly can. You can nominate which size table you'd prefer to be seated at by logging into your booking via the My Cunard link on their website. If you choose early or late dining (as opposed to open seating) you will have a fixed time to dine and be at the same table with the same guests each dinner time. It's a great option for solo travellers.

S/He is in PG. There is no early or late.