9.40am Flight from Seattle on Disembarkation Day

Hi.  Our only option for a direct flight from Seattle to Charleston is 9.37am.  Our ship should dock at 6am and we can choose to walk off our luggage which we would obviously have to do.  Reading other questions recommendations are not to book a shuttle but get an Uber/Lyft but realistically would we make it to the airport in time to check in and catch this flight based on peoples experiences at Seattle Cruise Port?  We have checked luggage so we need to factor this in.  What is security like at Seattle?  Does it typically have long queues?  thank you 

Absolutely not a reasonable chance to catch that flight. Not a reasonable chance at all.

"Should dock" at 6am? Based on what? And even if true, that doesn't mean disembarking starts at 6:05.

Spend the night and take that flight the next day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

NO WAAY WILL YOU MAKE IT . What if the ship s delayed getting into port?  What if the ship is not cleared for disembarkation until 7-ish?  Other cruise ships will probably be in port as well, leaving long lines for rides to the airport, and not to mention the lines AT the airport to go thru security, then taking the tram ( possibly) to your terminal.  Either spend the night, or take a later flight that might take longer.  

Oh Heavens no, unless you enjoy sitting at Seattle airport waiting for a standby flight because you will not make the 9:40am flight. 

Firstly, even if you’re the only boat disembarking (peak season can be 3), you’re at the mercy of Seattle rush hour traffic. During rush hour getting to the airport from downtown can take close to an hour. 

I was at the airport yesterday and it’s the start of Spring Break, so similar to summer traffic. Lines for bag drops were 30+ minutes on Delta and Alaska and TSA Pre was 25 min and general was 35-40 minutes. 

Living here I understand the lack of direct options to a lot of cities with the time difference, but booking this direct you’re asking for heartache. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your feedback - our other option to fit our itinerary is an 11am flight - which would be indirect.  Would you say this is more realistic?  

42 minutes ago, psuboater said:

Oh Heavens no, unless you enjoy sitting at Seattle airport waiting for a standby flight because you will not make the 9:40am flight. 

Firstly, even if you’re the only boat disembarking (peak season can be 3), you’re at the mercy of Seattle rush hour traffic. During rush hour getting to the airport from downtown can take close to an hour. 

I was at the airport yesterday and it’s the start of Spring Break, so similar to summer traffic. Lines for bag drops were 30+ minutes on Delta and Alaska and TSA Pre was 25 min and general was 35-40 minutes. 

Living here I understand the lack of direct options to a lot of cities with the time difference, but booking this direct you’re asking for heartache. 

• Like 1

You have a better chance of making an 11:00 (though personally, I wouldn't chance anything before noon) than you do for a 9:40. If it were me, I'd get a hotel by the airport for the night and fly out the next morning.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LouLou81 said:

Thank you for your feedback - our other option to fit our itinerary is an 11am flight - which would be indirect.  Would you say this is more realistic?  

11am is more realistic, but still rather tight for comfort.  You haven't mentioned which ship/pier you'll be at (Pier 91 is further out) or day of week (another factor).  SeaTac is one busy airport and security can be long (you can reserve a spot if you don't have TSA pre). Good luck....

Posted (edited)

Catching an 11 AM flight maybe if you are traveling during the very early or late in the season (April/early May or late Sept/Oct), and the travels gods are smiling down on you that morning.

Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays are 2 ship days at Pier 91, and on weekends a very large NCL ship is at Pier 66 on Sat & Sun..  That means that at least a few thousand disembarking passengers are all headed to SeaTac Airport about the same time as you.

As other posters have mentioned, the lines to drop off your luggage with your airline will be long, and the TSA lines are even longer.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

Flying out of SeaTac, no matter if your schedule is relaxed or tight, be sure to use the SpotSaver tool to reserve a time through security.

https://www.portseattle.org/SEAspotsaver

As others have said, a 9ish AM departure immediately after your cruise is not going to happen.  The 11am flight is a better choice, however, I'm not sure I would chance that.  I'd recommend booking a hotel room and stay overnight and then fly out in the morning on that early flight (assuming daily flights).  Visit some of the sights, enjoy a bit of Seattle, and fly out on your own schedule.

• Like 1