pay solo or reg?

I will be traveling alone and looking at NCL primarily because of the solo rates, but in looking over several different options I'm wondering if it's worth risking buying 2 fares and having one be a no show. I do plan on getting the insurance, so looks like I would get back 75% of the 2nd fare in FCC if nothing else - but can't get a specific answer directly from the cruise lines.  I prefer the itinerary of a couple other lines, so why I'm asking.

So if anyone has experience or input on this, I would appreciate any advice.

As for me - cruised once to AK in 2022 on Celebrity and got great deal on balcony, so I'm spoiled.

I don't want to be around kids, don't care about onboard activities or fancy food, and want a good room, but really don't care. I would be cruising for the experience and the destinations/itinerary.

1 hour ago, kbconthemove said:

I will be traveling alone and looking at NCL primarily because of the solo rates, but in looking over several different options I'm wondering if it's worth risking buying 2 fares and having one be a no show. I do plan on getting the insurance, so looks like I would get back 75% of the 2nd fare in FCC if nothing else - but can't get a specific answer directly from the cruise lines.  I prefer the itinerary of a couple other lines, so why I'm asking.

So if anyone has experience or input on this, I would appreciate any advice.

As for me - cruised once to AK in 2022 on Celebrity and got great deal on balcony, so I'm spoiled.

I don't want to be around kids, don't care about onboard activities or fancy food, and want a good room, but really don't care. I would be cruising for the experience and the destinations/itinerary.

There is a cruise database called CruisePlum, which is NOT a travel agent site, that has a searchable database, and one of the things you search on are cruise itineraries that have solo cabins and cruise itineraries that have minimal solo surcharges.  You might find some useful info there.

• Like 1

Thank you - I have been looking at that site now that I found it and it is quite helpful.  Still curious if the CFAR insurance works like it appears as it may save several hundred dollars over solo pricing.

Before you get too excited about using CFAR insurance to score a cheap cabin, look at the cost of the insurance. Do you have a person in mind who is agreeable to you using their name and personal information for this venture?

yes I do, ty for reply - and yes evaluating full cost, and looking at some rooms/sales and noticing how they do their pricing for 2nd person (i.e. 75% off 2nd person, so no savings really)

18 hours ago, kbconthemove said:

I'm wondering if it's worth risking buying 2 fares and having one be a no show

Just wondering if you have browsed the SOLO Cruisers forum here on CC?  It is where you could ask questions about which lines offer the best deals for solo travellers. 

This forum

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

I know MSC has great pricing, but to be honest from all the reviews and videos they scare the heck out of me with being so overcrowded and loud party atmosphere all day and night.  Not sure it's worth the lower cost when it looks miserable to me lol.

Sorry for wording my first question here all wrong - was basically looking to see if the insurance worked like it claims on the cruise line websites.

Thank you all for the replies - I won't bother you anymore