Bringing wine on board

tgetz

I know this has been asked before but my search couldn't find the answer.

I know you can bring as much wine onboard as you would like on Cunard, but is it for in cabin use  only, or can you take a glass or bottle to dinner with you? 

If you are in Queens grill cabin can you take your own wine it to dinner since wine is also provided to you??

Thanks in advance

Posted (edited)

You can't take a 'Glass of Wine ' from the wine/alcohol that you have brought onboard that is permitted for 'stateroom consumption only' - However, you can take a FULL bottle of wine ( that you have brought onboard) into the restaurant where you will be charged corkage - any unused wine can be held back for the following evening. 

Edited by Bell Boy

Thank you all.  We don't mind the corkage fee for some of my husbands wines. I, however, can usually be happy with a bottle that is less expensive.

7 minutes ago, david63 said:

This is one of several examples where the spiel online does not coincide with the reality on the ground (or indeed sea). We are treated as adults and we can bring as much drink, alcoholic or otherwise, that we can haul on board. Bad form if it clanks too loudly, but even that isn't a barrier. Cunard staff don't handle the boarding process anyway.

I rarely take wine onboard, and I don't bother with water or soft drinks. But last fall on QV, there was no ginger ale, and that's my go-to remedy if things get a bit bouncy. Am I allowed to bring on soft drinks? 

I really don’t think they mind what you bring on, so long as you don’t drop it and make a sticky mess on their nice carpet. Security checks you haven’t got a bomb, etc, they aren’t the beverages police. Nobody on the ship takes the least interest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally I cannot be bothered lugging a load of bottles of wine (or anything else for that matter) onto a cruise that has cost me several thousand pounds just to save a few pounds.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, david63 said:

Personally I cannot be bothered lugging a load of bottles of wine (or anything else for that matter) onto a cruise that has cost me several thousand pounds just to save a few pounds.

I agree, but if you want something particular that they don’t have, I can see you might want to do it. And nobody is going to stop you, which is comforting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, david63 said:

I agree. I've brought a bottle or two of wine if we visited a winery or a few bottles of a local beer. Maybe a bottle of fizz for a balcony sailaway. But I found it odd that there was no ginger ale. They used to have the Fever Tree, which was excellent. 

It is not to save money that he brings his wine onboard. It is to enjoy a really nice bottle of wine with friends with a nice meal. I only drink white wines, and my husband has some special wines he has purchased over the years that really need to be shared, Once decanted they  would go bad very quickly at home and he can't drink a full bottle himself. 🙂 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, tgetz said:

It is not to save money that he brings his wine onboard. It is to enjoy a really nice bottle of wine with friends with a nice meal. I only drink white wines, and my husband has some special wines he has purchased over the years that really need to be shared, Once decanted they  would go bad very quickly at home and he can't drink a full bottle himself. 🙂 

When onboard, ask your M’d or sommelier if there is a wine tasting happening. There is a charge and it’s highly worth it. Lasted almost three hours.  These were the top-shelf wines and canapés we tasted in last summer’s crossing - Chardonnays of the World:

IMG_3364.jpeg

IMG_3363.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/25/2024 at 10:05 AM, Bell Boy said:

You can't take a 'Glass of Wine ' from the wine/alcohol that you have brought onboard that is permitted for 'stateroom consumption only' - However, you can take a FULL bottle of wine ( that you have brought onboard) into the restaurant where you will be charged corkage - any unused wine can be held back for the following evening. 

I tend to disagree. How would they know if you brought a glass of wine from your stateroom or, you may of bought a glass of wine from one of the bars, and brought it with you to the dining room ? Either way, your bringing a glass of wine to the dining room. They have no idea where it came from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pamps2801 said:

I tend to disagree. How would they know if you brought a glass of wine from your stateroom or, you may of bought a glass of wine from one of the bars, and brought it with you to the dining room ? Either way, your bringing a glass of wine to the dining room. They have no idea where it came from.

The sailing before the last sailing we had ladies coming from a bar with drinks in their hands from visiting a bar before the dining room and sat near us. No question asked.

49 minutes ago, pamps2801 said:

I tend to agree with you.

Perhaps a more appropriate wording would have been that you are not supposed to do so according to the terms and conditions. But if lot's of folk did so, Cunard might start clamping down and stop treating their passengers like adults.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pamps2801 said:

Hopefully you are not encouraging it , I believe most members on this board would agree it is unethical to be walking from one venue to another drinking alcohol that is for personal consumption in the stateroom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pamps2801 said:

How would they know if you brought a glass of wine from your stateroom

I think that one giveaway is when the glass that is used is the tumbler from the bathroom - and yes I have seen it done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, david63 said:

I think that one giveaway is when the glass that is used is the tumbler from the bathroom - and yes I have seen it done.

Wow. I can’t even fathom carrying my wine in a tumbler. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jrmende63 said:

Wow. I can’t even fathom carrying my wine in a tumbler. 

How about old-school Italian Sunday afternoon spaghetti and gravy dinners? With homemade vino…

Similar to the dress code issue, it’s up to Cunard to enforce their own rules. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, NE John said:

How about old-school Italian Sunday afternoon spaghetti and gravy dinners? With homemade vino…

Similar to the dress code issue, it’s up to Cunard to enforce their own rules. 

The first problem with this is the homemade vino. The second problem spaghetti and gravy? Ok all kidding aside….
At home I have drank wine out of a coffee cup. But onboard a 🚢 not a 🛳️, I want my drinks in a proper glass. 

Edited by jrmende63
  • Like 2