Bringing wine on board

tgetz

10 hours ago, NE John said:

How about old-school Italian Sunday afternoon spaghetti and gravy dinners? With homemade vino…

Similar to the dress code issue, it’s up to Cunard to enforce their own rules. 

It is also up to passengers not to break them, which is how the majority behave. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, NE John said:

How about old-school Italian Sunday afternoon spaghetti and gravy dinners? With homemade vino…

Similar to the dress code issue, it’s up to Cunard to enforce their own rules. 

Gravy...with Spaghetti?

I do hope that's a UK v US terminology difference! 😄

As exlondoner  said in #26, it's also up to passengers to respect the 'rules'. However, 'the rules' need to be made plain and I'm getting the feeling blurring of the edges these days gives rise to more 'I'll do what I want'.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Gravy...with Spaghetti?

As exlondoner  said in #26, it's also up to passengers to respect the 'rules'. However, 'the rules' need to be made plain and I'm getting the feeling blurring of the edges these days gives rise to more 'I'll do what I want'.

“Spaghetti and gravy” is an Italian American term from the NYC-NJ-Philly corridor. It’s a tomato sauce made with meatballs, pork ribs, sausages cooked inside the sauce. @BklynBoy8 would know “gravy” but he may just call it sauce. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NE John said:

“Spaghetti and gravy” is an Italian American term from the NYC-NJ-Philly corridor. It’s a tomato sauce made with meatballs, pork ribs, sausages cooked inside the sauce. @BklynBoy8 would know “gravy” but he may just call it sauce. 

'All gravies are sauces, but not all sauces are gravy' 😅

Sounds very tasty and would go well with pasta. 🙂 but don't ask for gravy with your pasta dish 'over here'. Apart from the wait staff looking puzzled,  the roast beef/lamb/turkey etc brown gravy would most definitely not enhance any pasta dish as we generally know it! 😀

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Gravy...with Spaghetti?

Gravy is the technical term for a Tomato Meat Sauce cooked typical on and for Sunday Dinner in Italian households.

Not the typical Gravy being Brown for Meats.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Gravy is the technical term for a Tomato Meat Sauce cooked typical on and for Sunday Dinner in Italian households.

Not the typical Gravy being Brown for Meats.

So I gather.

Personally, I'd consider that a sauce. Gravy is gravy; thickish, meaty and BROWN! 😄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

So I gather.

Personally, I'd consider that a sauce. Gravy is gravy; thickish, meaty and BROWN! 😄

As you say a different between UK English and the US version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Sauce is meatless and also called Marinara (tomato only) Sauce...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Sounds very tasty and would go well with pasta. 🙂 but don't ask for gravy with your pasta dish 'over here'. Apart from the wait staff looking puzzled,  the roast beef/lamb/turkey etc brown gravy would most definitely not enhance any pasta dish as we generally know it! 😀

Sorry but true "gravy - beef" on wide pasta for pot roast or beef stroganoff example is my greatest love.

Even without the meat....Yummy 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry but true "gravy - beef" on wide pasta for pot roast or beef stroganoff example is my greatest love.

Even without the meat....Yummy 

Two nations divi=ided by a common language which isn't so common in places 😄

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

So I gather.

Victoria,

Coming From Brooklyn NY, Bensonhurst neighborhood,  GRAVY. - SAUCE subject causes ongoing comedy exchanges between friends of who believe which term is right..

Say the right term you believe and right away you're hear another opinion.....lol....lol.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

This brings to mind the George Bernard Shaw saying - "England and America are two countries separated by a common language"

Whippe - Hamburger.....

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Reminds me of American friends over in the UK on a secondment and were directed to a garden centre when they wanted to buy pot holders! 😄

One time on one of the first voyages on the QE2's in the bookstore my DW bought a cute book with common British - English counterparts of words and phases.

How interesting.....

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

You can confuse the QG culinary staff by making an off-menu order of spaghetti with gravy.  What you may end up with would be anyone’s guess, unless the chef watched the show The Sopranos. 

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sauce is meatless and also called Marinara (tomato only) Sauce...

and marinara to me (UK) is a pasta sauce with seafood! 

Just been having the "how much drink can we take on board" conversation with relatives we're travelling on QA with soon. We've decided on a couple of bottles of champane for on their balcony and they'll take some rum as well. Already got the premium alcohol free drinks package but I'm disappointed ginger ale might no longer be on it. I do hope the Sicilian lemon is still available. 

1 hour ago, elmsliebev said:

and marinara to me (UK) is a pasta sauce with seafood! 

Just been having the "how much drink can we take on board" conversation with relatives we're travelling on QA with soon. We've decided on a couple of bottles of champane for on their balcony and they'll take some rum as well. Already got the premium alcohol free drinks package but I'm disappointed ginger ale might no longer be on it. I do hope the Sicilian lemon is still available. 

Cheers........... with you drinks and toasts.......Bon Voyage....

BTW...... Marinara with Seafood and pasta is known as Zuppa Di Pesce

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NE John said:

You can confuse the QG culinary staff by making an off-menu order of spaghetti with gravy.  What you may end up with would be anyone’s guess, unless the chef watched the show The Sopranos. 

Believe it or not, I am SO precise when I order 'off' on a two weeker so I'm not disappointed and consequently, don't do guesswork.Now one of our six or seven weekers, maybe!  😄

Love the difference in terminology though. It lightens up the conversations. 🙃

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Believe it or not, I am SO precise when I order 'off' on a two weeker so I'm not disappointed and consequently, don't do guesswork.Now one of our six or seven weekers, maybe!  😄

Love the difference in terminology though. It lightens up the conversations. 🙃

Yep, it’s good to take a break from discussions around dress code frustrations!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NE John said:

Yep, it’s good to take a break from discussions around dress code frustrations!

Well said.

Cunard is changing, of that there is no doubt but as long as there are enough 'of us' to keep up the traditions as best we can, then I have hope for the next few years.

Cheers! 🍷

ps

I don't like red wine but there's no white in the emoticons. 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

One time on one of the first voyages on the QE2's in the bookstore my DW bought a cute book with common British - English counterparts of words and phases.

How interesting.....

Decades ago I did exchange with the US Navy, being Aussie the Americans had a slight problem with our slang that we used when on the Tactical Net 🤣

On 3/26/2024 at 10:16 AM, david63 said:

Personally I cannot be bothered lugging a load of bottles of wine (or anything else for that matter) onto a cruise that has cost me several thousand pounds just to save a few pounds.

You can save a lot more than a few pounds - a bottle you buy in a wine merchant for £40-£60 (or less if you bought wisely and stored well for several years) can easily sell for $150+ on board.

It is also a great way to get to know your sommelier - especially if you’ve got unusual wines with you and you let them sample a bit!

• Like 3