NEVER book a 7 day Caribbean Cruise on HAL

HAL has successfully ruined the Nieuw Statendam by changing the spring itinerary from 10-11 day circuits to 7 days. It used to be our favorite ship in the fleet but after 14 days aboard we can’t wait to leave. Last year the longer loops kept the family crowds to a minimum.

Ship is now packed with families and inexperienced cruisers. I won’t go into details but suffice it to say their behavior has us seeking shelter anywhere we can find it. The only quiet place left is the thermal suite, which, fortunately none of them has discovered yet. They even retrofitted the area above Canaletto to be a kids activity area so if you eat in there you hear what sounds like a basketball dribbling on your head. Way to ruin what was only a marginal atmosphere to begin with. 

Next year HAL has the same spring itinerary planned. Unless you’re a  masochist avoid the “Carnival Statendam” ship at all costs! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

And Kids Sail Free.

Same as last year, and, while it attracted a few kids last spring the shorter itinerary has made this the “school break express” now. Over 300 kids onboard (and the kids area is woefully undersized) so they are everywhere, all the time. Parents are taking full advantage of the drinks package too. 

HAL has to make up its mind about what kind of cruise line this is. The bipolar approach where the small ships do the “good itineraries” and the larger Pinnacle class are relegated to becoming floating day care centers just isn’t a great strategy.

We loved the Pinnacle ships but next winter the only one doing longer trips is the Rotterdam and it will be alternating trips to the Panama Canal, something we’ve done multiple times and don’t want to pay $800pp extra to do just to avoid children. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

Same as last year, and, while it attracted a few kids last spring the shorter itinerary has made this the “school break express” now. Over 300 kids onboard (and the kids area is woefully undersized) so they are everywhere, all the time. Parents are taking full advantage of the drinks package too. 

We’re currently on the Rotterdam and we have move kids than normal but certainly not 300.  We had a curious discussion with the Hotel Manager.  My DW was expressing her frustration with a group of kids that were running around in the library without any adult supervision turning the library into a playroom.  The Hotel Manager just sort of shrugged his shoulders and said there was nothing they could do to control the kids. It was a too bad, so sad response.

• Like 4

It doesn’t take 300+ children to spoil a cruise. Just two running around the BB King’s dance floor all night like it’s a playground is enough. Certain parts of the ship should be “adults only”. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

We’re currently on the Rotterdam and we have move kids than normal but certainly not 300.  We had a curious discussion with the Hotel Manager.  My DW was expressing her frustration with a group of kids that were running around in the library without any adult supervision turning the library into a playroom.  The Hotel Manager just sort of shrugged his shoulders and said there was nothing they could do to control the kids. It was a too bad, so sad response.

It had been years since we cruised with Holland. We did a 7 day cruise on the  N.A. in January and saw very few children. We actually liked it so much we have several other HAL cruises booked. We will definitely avoid booking the 7 days itineraries during March/April.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

It doesn’t take 300+ children to spoil a cruise. Just two running around the BB King’s dance floor all night like it’s a playground is enough. Certain parts of the ship should be “adults only”. 

And it’s unlikely that anyone from the ship’s staff will say anything to them or their parents.

8 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

If 2 children playing on the dance floor are going to spoil your cruise:

https://www.virginvoyages.com/

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

It had been years since we cruised with Holland. We did a 7 day cruise on the  N.A. in January and saw very few children. We actually liked it so much we have several other HAL cruises booked. We will definitely avoid booking the 7 days itineraries during March/April.

Or February. January is probably the safest month to avoid families because they just ruined the holiday cruises and most schools have no break until at least mid-February. 

• Like 3

Just now, Sea42 said:

No, you are certainly have every right to complain. But it is your vacation and if HAL is not meeting your needs then, yes, I would suggest going with a line that meets your needs.

Do you think HAL is going to stop encouraging families to sail with them if it is bringing in much needed revenue?

Do you really think that HAL needs to have a kids sail free promotion to fill their ships?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Do you really think that HAL needs to have a kids sail free promotion to fill their ships?

It really doesn't matter what I think, HAL seems to think so. They know their financial situation better than I do.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

No, you are certainly have every right to complain. But it is your vacation and if HAL is not meeting your needs then, yes, I would suggest going with a line that meets your needs.

Do you think HAL is going to stop encouraging families to sail with them if it is bringing in much needed revenue?

It just drives away their most loyal customers and best crew members - sounds like a winning strategy to me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I haven't taken a 7-day winter cruise for a long time. Partly because I like a longer cruise, and partly because of the stories from people who had to change plans when their cruise was chartered out from under them. I avoid the 14-day B2B for the same reason. But this is yet another reason to avoid 7-day cruises.

I like to have a winter cruise to get away from the cold, and I've sailed with HAL for a lot of those cruises. But between the same old same old itineraries and the kids sail free and the possibility that the cabin I chose may be given to someone else and the disappointing entertainment, I'm questioning whether I'll keep sailing with HAL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DaveOKC said:

For this reason we avoid Spring Break season for cruising and as stated, the 7 day or shorter routes.

Agree with Dave. Spring break = families as well as holiday cruises.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

We only cruise 7 days when we are with the extended family.....

One trick we learned is we booked the family on Thanksgiving knowing it would be a zoo and then we stayed on for the following week and it was back to being our low key, HAL cruise.

Live and learn.....

As with any demographic, ethnic group, age, nationality, size, handicap, I try not to stereotype or judge...and as far as children, I do not judge all of them together nor do I judge all the grumpy, lido line skippers, lido deck table hogs, complainers, whiners, chair hog, seat saving, slow old folks with one stereotype brush either.....especially since I was a child once, we cruised with our "well behaved" children once and we need to embrace living in a world with all kinds of folks.....so I've been told....so it should not stop or be different for children, Right?

Enjoy the journey and the fellow children onboard.....well behaved or not.

I look forward to the spears headed my way now.....LOL.

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My biggest complaint is we invested a lot in getting to 5* on one cruise line and now have the perks which we earned and can’t enjoy because it’s a different cruise line. I don’t think that’s an unjustified complaint. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

My biggest complaint is we invested a lot in getting to 5* on one cruise line and now have the perks which we earned and can’t enjoy because it’s a different cruise line. I don’t think that’s an unjustified complaint. 

All cruise lines have changed over the years as the world continues to change, and they will continue to do so . 

No one say's you can't complain .... just not realistic to think things shouldn't change with time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

I understand but not sure it is a different cruise line....Kids, since we graduated to HAL from Carnival in 2002 (on the Zaandam) have always been welcomed onboard and kids activities and promos for the kiddies were available and were what snagged us to bring the kids and give it a try back then..we've been loyalists since then and the kids, now in their early 30's enjoy HAL and are now 3 stars....And I'm certain they will be bringing my grandchildren onboard in a few years and I'll be all about a 7 days cruise with them onboard!

HAL for us, seems to welcome all....and does not discriminate based on age......

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

If you want to avoid kids so much, why not book on an adult only line instead of complaining about their existence on a line that encourages them to be there?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1