Seeking the Eclipse on Zaandam!

46 minutes ago, Cruisetrekker said:

You have a sci Fi group aboard I hope they are behaving LOL !!

Not sure what to call them? Sky and Telescope is the group...somewhere around 485 of them. Does that make them sci-fi? Have seen a few Star Trek and related tee shirts. They have had a lot of events. Interesting to hear them talking around the ship about their various experiences. As I have mentioned,  this is not an early riser crowd at all.

• Like 1

Some observations and bon mots, part 4.

I see I have confused the issue of our guest speaker. His correct name is Tom Vassos, an expert in the vein of Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Superb speaker, fantastic presentations. Having done a bit of adult education and presenting, he is an absolute pro. To say his presentation today was SRO is the greatest understatement of 2024. People were camped out in the main theater over 2 hours in advance. The theater was almost full one hour in advance. People were sitting on the floor in the aisles. It was very congested getting out.

They did an extended maintenance check and lubrication of the Lido Pool roof yesterday,  in preparation for having it wide open on the Eclipse day. You can imagine what it will be like having all 1400 plus pax wanting to have a wide open view of the sky for about 4 hours that day. The Sky and Telescope group is taking the Sky deck areas forward of the Lido pool. So the other 2/3rds of the passengers get everything behind that. There will be lots of camera and related set ups.

The ship will be providing Eclipse glasses.

Tonight is dressy night #2. Escargot is on the menu...which is the Gold Gala menu.

The Adam comedian guy is performing again tonight. Not sure if we will see him or not. There is a full music schedule tonight as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure what to call them? Sky and Telescope is the group...somewhere around 485 of them. Does that make them sci-fi? Have seen a few Star Trek and related tee shirts. They have had a lot of events. Interesting to hear them talking around the ship about their various experiences. As I have mentioned,  this is not an early riser crowd at all.

You are right. Some of them are a sub group of star trek fans that have travelled together for over 25 years. I have travelled the world with them and really should be there this year but it is getting so expensive......

If you look carefully you might see an actor or two or three

Edited by Cruisetrekker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another wonderful lazy day at sea yesterday. The temperature,  and most importantly, the humidity has dropped some, to a more pleasant level. Lots of clear skies..the star gazing must be great. But the concern for clouds on Monday is hanging out there.

Dinner last night was really good...we were unanimous. Escargot (yummy!), jumbo shrimp cocktail, tenderloin with shrimp and lava cake (to die for!). All were great, although one little inconsistency. My tenderloin was about 25% bigger than DW, and a fair bit less cooked, even though we both ordered medium. Not a problem...still good.

We tried the Ocean Bar Band again,  and instrumental music only again. Talked to a couple of people about it...that seems to be their M. O.

Off to see the Captain speak about the plans for the Eclipse. We dock at Puerto Vallarta at noon.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 2:49 PM, DAllenTCY said:

6:50 pm or thereabouts.

David

Are you able to provide insight as to why this continues? Seems to be more w/K'dam than other ships. May be her passengers are just more vocal about it?

This late leaving is really a pattern now w/K'dam out of San Diego. They should stop the pretense and just revise their itineraries.

Dec 21 we left several hours late (due to MANY pallets of provisions?) and most (all?) of the cruises I've followed since then have also left hours late. Not 30 mins, hours. I believe it's pallets of provisions for those, as well.

I certainly will not drop HAL because of this, but there is an issue when a ship consistently cannot leave relatively on schedule. Coupled w/the other documented issues (dogs, for one) K'dam is a challenge to support.

Apologies for the off-topic rant, no intent to hijack what is an awesome thread. 😊

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Another wonderful lazy day at sea yesterday...Lots of clear skies..the star gazing must be great. But the concern for clouds on Monday is hanging out there...

Off to see the Captain speak about the plans for the Eclipse. We dock at Puerto Vallarta at noon.

Very excited to learn about the eclipse plans. Our forecast, sadly, now calls for clouds and rain  ⛈ 

• Like 2

@Haljo1935, KDam couldn't sail sooner as Zaandam's fuel barge was alongside until 6pm. Not enough room for KDam to sail. Zaandam was scheduled to sail at 3pm, we didn't actually sail until almost 6:30, our fuel barge couldn't get to us sooner because  KDam's was alongside until just after 2pm. Again, not enough room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just in from a very informative and entertaining presentation by Capt Smit and Tom Vassos. 

We have a Plan A, and a Plan B. Plan A is to sail a course of about 140 degrees, at about 7 knots, directly in the middle of the path of totality starting over 50 miles off shore. This will allow maximum time in the Eclipse and path of totality. 

The wildcard is high thin sirrus clouds, which are predicted for that day.The Captain's staff had a little fun with the Plan B slide...it looked like a bowl of spaghetti. It means we will free lance as needed to try and find as much clear sky as possible, which may reduce the amount of totality we experience. 

The event went on for close to an hour, with lots of questions, answers and information. Happy to answer your questions. 

Believe it or not, they are setting up for music by the pool. I assume it is local musicians. Haven't seen that much any more on HAL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Are you able to provide insight as to why this continues? Seems to be more w/K'dam than other ships. May be her passengers are just more vocal about it?

This late leaving is really a pattern now w/K'dam out of San Diego. They should stop the pretense and just revise their itineraries.

Dec 21 we left several hours late (due to MANY pallets of provisions?) and most (all?) of the cruises I've followed since then have also left hours late. Not 30 mins, hours. I believe it's pallets of provisions for those, as well.

I certainly will not drop HAL because of this, but there is an issue when a ship consistently cannot leave relatively on schedule. Coupled w/the other documented issues (dogs, for one) K'dam is a challenge to support.

Apologies for the off-topic rant, no intent to hijack what is an awesome thread. 😊

For this cruise the K'dam departed right at 5 pm.

• Like 1

Observations and bon mots, part......whatever!

@Cruisetrekker, there also a small Star Trek group on board, including one actor, a Cameron somebody, who was in 40 episodes. Also 2 retired astronauts. And a couple of NASA folks doing some research. 

Captain Smit is pretty funny, and a good speaker. His accent seems to lend to his humor and presentation. He said we are still 3 to 5 years ( my summary of what he said) at least from a female Captain.  But there are several females in the chain, including a 3 striper on Zaandam right now.

Docked next to the MSC Explora 1. Google it...very interesting. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Observations and bon mots, part......whatever!

@Cruisetrekker, there also a small Star Trek group on board, including one actor, a Cameron somebody, who was in 40 episodes. Also 2 retired astronauts. And a couple of NASA folks doing some research. 

Captain Smit is pretty funny, and a good speaker. His accent seems to lend to his humor and presentation. He said we are still 3 to 5 years ( my summary of what he said) at least from a female Captain.  But there are several females in the chain, including a 3 striper on Zaandam right now.

Docked next to the MSC Explora 1. Google it...very interesting. 

Actually there is 3 actors aboard and one special effects guy

• Like 3

Fun being  in port over night...party boat with live music floating around the port, fireworks, very few people on board...

Dinner was very good. We both had filet mignon...pretty good. Not Pinnacle great, but we definitely didn't leave hungry. Double chocolate cake finished us off.

The Ocean Bar Band has a lead singer! After several nights of only doing instrumental music in their first set or two, the lead singer made an appearance at 7:15. They are all good musicians. We love BB King and the Rolling Stone lounge performers and performances. The Ocean Bar Band plays a very wide of music,  some less appealing to us. Overall, they are pretty popular with dancers, good performers,  but not always to our preferences.

After my earlier comments about the starboard side of the ship needing a paint job, the crew jumped right on it. Yesterday not one, but 4 different painting crews were at work, including one 4 person crew standing on top of a lifeboat floating at the stern. When the Europa fired up and sailed, the aft paint crew had to stop and get out of the turbulence caused by their thrusters. It was kind of funny, but not. Now the ship looks beautiful again.

Lots of strategizing going on for positioning tomorrow.  We a few high thin clouds so far today...if it's like this tomorrow, we will be fine.

Lots of talk about the Walmart across the street. Employees saying the Juneau Walmart is cheaper than this one...but still best place for crew to shop, and they do. One loud passenger complaining "they don't speak English over there". Ugh!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Fun being  in port over night...party boat with live music floating around the port, fireworks, very few people on board...

Dinner was very good. We both had filet mignon...pretty good. Not Pinnacle great, but we definitely didn't leave hungry. Double chocolate cake finished us off.

The Ocean Bar Band has a lead singer! After several nights of only doing instrumental music in their first set or two, the lead singer made an appearance at 7:15. They are all good musicians. We love BB King and the Rolling Stone lounge performers and performances. The Ocean Bar Band plays a very wide of music,  some less appealing to us. Overall, they are pretty popular with dancers, good performers,  but not always to our preferences.

After my earlier comments about the starboard side of the ship needing a paint job, the crew jumped right on it. Yesterday not one, but 4 different painting crews were at work, including one 4 person crew standing on top of a lifeboat floating at the stern. When the Europa fired up and sailed, the aft paint crew had to stop and get out of the turbulence caused by their thrusters. It was kind of funny, but not. Now the ship looks beautiful again.

Lots of strategizing going on for positioning tomorrow.  We a few high thin clouds so far today...if it's like this tomorrow, we will be fine.

Lots of talk about the Walmart across the street. Employees saying the Juneau Walmart is cheaper than this one...but still best place for crew to shop, and they do. One loud passenger complaining "they don't speak English over there". Ugh!

They don't speak English in my Walmart either.  This is the way of the world.  It's rude to think otherwise.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

@CruiserBruce have I got this right you spent the night at a port in Mexico?

I always find it interesting when people travel to a foreign country and get all bent out of shape that "They don't speak English here". I'm not sure why it is that many English speaking people seem to think everyone no matter where in the world should know their language.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@CruiserBruce have I got this right you spent the night at a port in Mexico?

I always find it interesting when people travel to a foreign country and get all bent out of shape that "They don't speak English here". I'm not sure why it is that many English speaking people seem to think everyone no matter where in the world should know their language.

Yes. We arrived at Puerto Vallarta at noon yesterday (Saturday) and will sail at 5pm today (Sunday).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Observations and more bon mots....

Lots of maintenance going on. The painters are finishing painting the entire blue hull on the starboard side, as well as some of the white portion, which they are doing from a large cherry picker.

In addition, the Lido hot tubs and the spa hot tub have been closed for about 36 hours now doing some super duper cleansing. Yesterday morning,  they literally dumped 20 gallons of chemicals in each tub, cleaned and scrubbed wearing respirators, rubber gloves and other protective gear. They came back this morning and did more scrubbing ( without the protective gear), installed new drain covering materials and did some other stuff. They promised the tubs would be open by noon today...they almost met that.

Last night we got word in our cabin that the water system would be off from 11pm to 5am for a cleaning of the water lines. We were advised we would have no water during those hours, and to run water in the morning to make sure we got the brown stuff out. We experienced no issue with this.

Due to the extended runs between ports, we have been getting into ports at odd times. 10am at Manzanillo. Noon here. 11 at Huataco. Now 2pm on Tuesday at Loreto, not to mention 2pm at Mazatlan...possibly,  after the Eclipse. Lots of time sailing at 19 or 20 knots. We took on some fuel here in Puerto Vallarta yesterday. 

It means Tuesday is almost a sea day. We got an invite to the Mariners reception (as a 5 star), Tuesday at 11:30. I assume the luncheon will follow, but haven't heard yet.

• Like 3

You may have already given us this info, but...what time do you expect to see the total eclipse?  In Los Angeles it is @11a.m. for a partial eclipse.  Hope it is a great experience being out to sea.  Cherie

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cccole said:

You may have already given us this info, but...what time do you expect to see the total eclipse?  In Los Angeles it is @11a.m. for a partial eclipse.  Hope it is a great experience being out to sea.  Cherie

11:06

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

If everything goes according to plan, we get 4 minutes and 24 seconds of totality. 

Do you know if the Captain is planning on shutting off the ship lights?