Why can't there be life in the Verandah restaurant on QM2

deck chair

I've never seen this pretentiousness in there. The service is definitely hands on and it is a bit formal (which it should be given the setting). 

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2024 at 7:04 PM, WantedOnVoyage said:

"The smaller the house, the greater the effort"... the old show biz adage suits here. 

The service tries way too hard, it's frankly embarassing, over the top, insincere and some of the "added touches" are downright lame... like selecting your steak knife as if you're picking duelling pistols. Fine beef should not require a blade that looks like a fit for a Lee-Enfield rife. The maitre d' has been, in our experience, a non-entity who spends the whole evening peering intensely at a computer screen... how long does it take to find tables for the average eight people in a 45-seat restaurant on a given evening?  The "view" from your table is invariably the smoker's corner out on deck.  And it's way too brightly lit to impart an intimate or romantic atmosphere.  Finally... the menu is pedestrian, boring Aberdeen Steak House fayre and all that's missing is the fag ash in the velour upholstery and the Black Forest Gateau. 

It was at least better menu wise when they tried to recreate the proper Veranda Grill of the old QUEENs with a sophisticated French menu and there wasn't a steak fry or a "hot fudge sundae" within 100 yards.  

I'd gut it... convert the space to a new Grills Lounge with outside deck adjoining and repurpose the existing Grills Lounge.  

You’ve described it perfectly! 🙂 

6 hours ago, JT1101 said:

I've never seen this pretentiousness in there. The service is definitely hands on and it is a bit formal (which it should be given the setting). 

My Sentiments Also......

1 hour ago, jfavenuex said:

What is the dress code on the Verandah Steakhouse on Queen Mary 2? Can you dress smart casual or does it have to be formal?

It's the suggested dress code of the day or evening, as it's considered one of the main public venues.  Casual attire is more appropriate for the (QM2) Carinthia Lounge. 

We booked the Verandah Steakhouse for my big birthday several years ago. That was a mistake. We should have stayed with the Princess Grill which was better every evening than that one evening in the Verandah Steakhouse. Husband had to send his steak back twice and still didn't like it. Mine was fine and I loved the birthday cake they brought me. But I don't think we will ever go back if we are in the Princess Grill. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jwitt2 said:

We booked the Verandah Steakhouse for my big birthday several years ago. That was a mistake. We should have stayed with the Princess Grill which was better every evening than that one evening in the Verandah Steakhouse. Husband had to send his steak back twice and still didn't like it. Mine was fine and I loved the birthday cake they brought me. But I don't think we will ever go back if we are in the Princess Grill. 

The grills are so nice that it does seem kind of a step down to go to one of the specialty restaurants. 

On QE and QV, I've gone to the Verandah for lunch, which has a nice menu. 

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The grills are so nice that it does seem kind of a step down to go to one of the specialty restaurants. 

On QE and QV, I've gone to the Verandah for lunch, which has a nice menu. 

I'd argue its not there for Grills passengers. While of course they're welcome to dine there as anyone else is, thinking from a business point of view, its a nice way to Britannia passengers to "upgrade" their experience without having to spend the extra money on a cabin/suite upgrade.

I've never had a problem in my experience, both for big & small meals. That being said, after trying the pop up restaurants, that is where I'd rather use my Diamond benefit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MylesS said:

I'd argue its not there for Grills passengers. While of course they're welcome to dine there as anyone else is, thinking from a business point of view, its a nice way to Britannia passengers to "upgrade" their experience without having to spend the extra money on a cabin/suite upgrade.

I've never had a problem in my experience, both for big & small meals. That being said, after trying the pop up restaurants, that is where I'd rather use my Diamond benefit.

The Nordlys popup on QV Northern Lights cruise was outstanding!

6 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

We like Bamboo and utilising a Diamond perk, whichever the pop up, it's a great way to dine with friends who aren't in the same restaurant.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Agreed. We had a wonderful dinner made even better by the lights actually coming out during out meal so we were able to head straight out of the restaurant to view them. A meal to remember!

12 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Kathy,

Hello!

Never still tried the evenings alternate dining yet.

Have to try it on the upcoming 14 day.

Should have plenty time to try one.

Good Cruising..

On 4/2/2024 at 8:43 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Kathy,

Hello!

Never still tried the evenings alternate dining yet.

Have to try it on the upcoming 14 day.

Should have plenty time to try one.

Good Cruising..

Hi Eddie,

Bit of a thread hijack here. I'm on QA in May and I'm thinking about volunteering to organize a meet and greet. Who was your contact at Cunard to set it up?

To get back to the topic, I don't think you'll get Nordlys on a Caribbean cruise, unfortunately. I'm not sure I've done any of the usual popups, at least not on recent cruises. But the Alaska itineraries get something similar to Nordlys, and I will probably go to that one night on my Alaska cruise. I could have made a whole meal of the langoustines they serve as starters. 

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Hi Eddie,

Bit of a thread hijack here. I'm on QA in May and I'm thinking about volunteering to organize a meet and greet. Who was your contact at Cunard to set it up?

To get back to the topic, I don't think you'll get Nordlys on a Caribbean cruise, unfortunately. I'm not sure I've done any of the usual popups, at least not on recent cruises. But the Alaska itineraries get something similar to Nordlys, and I will probably go to that one night on my Alaska cruise. I could have made a whole meal of the langoustines they serve as starters. 

Hi Kathy,

We have not as of yet tried the typical ones on the Mary 2. Most likely would the Italian. See what others will be. Not interested in the Mid East or Asian cuisine ones. And may try Verandah evening if we think it's worth it as a surcharge. Normally we use the voucher for Lunch. I know the evening is a larger menu. We'll see.......

I fortunately have a special direct contact I can't share but at the beginning I used (below)

that very much worked as a beginning. I don't know if I have a DM to give you to help you more. It does take time for communication btw you, cunard and the ship. Good Luck and hope you have a group like we had...

Cunard Onboard Services

CUNARDONBOARDSERVICES@CUNARD.COM

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 2:21 AM, tony s said:

Best steak we ever had on a cruise last November on QE. However the pretense of the wait staff was something out of Faulty Towers.

Sorry I cannot agree, wait staff were great just off QE.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:07 AM, deck chair said:

Hi one and all!

I have sailed on QM2 over 40 times since 2006.  I have never found the Verandah Restaurant (Formerly Todd English) especially interesting.  IMHO is a boring lifeless place even if the food is very good.  It could be so much more, like the original Verandah Grill on the Queen Mary.

I have been watching YouTube videos of the EMPIRE SUPPER CLUB on the new Icon of the Seas and the SILVER NOTE on Silversea cruise line ships.  Both are specialty dining rooms offering subtle live music and a beautiful vibe: HIGH DEMAND GO  TO PLACES because they are full of life, good food and drink.  So, I ask myself, why can't Cunard Line do this on the Queen Mary 2?  Why can't Verandah also be a high demand go to place full of life instead of the boring place it is now.  By the way, it's been my experience that the Verandah is rarely fully booked.  No wonder!  It has the personality of an ash tray.  Cunard,  you can do better!

Deck Chair.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:07 AM, deck chair said:

Hi one and all!

I have sailed on QM2 over 40 times since 2006.  I have never found the Verandah Restaurant (Formerly Todd English) especially interesting.  IMHO is a boring lifeless place even if the food is very good.  It could be so much more, like the original Verandah Grill on the Queen Mary.

I have been watching YouTube videos of the EMPIRE SUPPER CLUB on the new Icon of the Seas and the SILVER NOTE on Silversea cruise line ships.  Both are specialty dining rooms offering subtle live music and a beautiful vibe: HIGH DEMAND GO  TO PLACES because they are full of life, good food and drink.  So, I ask myself, why can't Cunard Line do this on the Queen Mary 2?  Why can't Verandah also be a high demand go to place full of life instead of the boring place it is now.  By the way, it's been my experience that the Verandah is rarely fully booked.  No wonder!  It has the personality of an ash tray.  Cunard,  you can do better!

Deck Chair.

Deck Chair,it sound it is time for you to go on Silverseas or maybe even Royal Caribbean where I believe they have a zip line and climbing wall. Give me your so called boring  Cunard Line anytime!

On 4/14/2024 at 12:15 AM, Down-Unders said:

Deck Chair,it sound it is time for you to go on Silverseas or maybe even Royal Caribbean where I believe they have a zip line and climbing wall. Give me your so called boring  Cunard Line anytime!

Hello:  It really is amazing how quickly the OP goes off topic.  This is the question for Cunard Line especially if they want to enhance revenue:   Do you maintain the boring almost lifeless and not particularly popular Verandah restaurant as is OR transform the space to a lively SUPPER CLUB such as existed on the original Queen Mary and no doubt Queen Elizabeth and currently exists on Silversea and RCL's Icon of the Seas or leave it as it is?  For your information, the supper clubs on Silversea and Icon of the Seas are apparently very popular.  This has nothing to do with climbing walls or zip lines.  Be well.

Deck Chair

• Like 4

On 4/16/2024 at 11:22 PM, deck chair said:

Hello:  It really is amazing how quickly the OP goes off topic.  This is the question for Cunard Line especially if they want to enhance revenue:   Do you maintain the boring almost lifeless and not particularly popular Verandah restaurant as is OR transform the space to a lively SUPPER CLUB such as existed on the original Queen Mary and no doubt Queen Elizabeth and currently exists on Silversea and RCL's Icon of the Seas or leave it as it is?  For your information, the supper clubs on Silversea and Icon of the Seas are apparently very popular.  This has nothing to do with climbing walls or zip lines.  Be well.

Deck Chair

I like the idea of a supper club. Could do it in 1920s/30s style, with live entertainment. A long bar as well. Imagine it would be incredibly popular on Cunard. 

Agree with many saying Verandah isn’t the experience it could be. Mostly empty on my recent QE Australian cruise. No atmosphere. 

• Like 3