QM2..reduced deposit offers (US bookings) ?

baffles

• Host Hattie changed the title to QM2..reduced deposit offers (US bookings) ?
Posted (edited)

For US bookings, Cunard used to offer reduced deposits on most of their short-term promotions (Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, etc.). I haven't seen as many of those short-term promotions lately though and I haven't happened to notice reduced deposits on those they have run lately. All I can suggest is to keep an eye out for future promotions that may offer reduced deposits. Sorry I can't offer more help than that unfortunately.

Cunard does offer what they call "Our Lowest Fare" in the US for Britannia category cabins on their 2024/2025 cruises. That fare offers a 50% reduced deposit (12.5% instead of the usual 25% in the US). The catch though is that deposit is non-refundable (and it's a guarantee-only booking).

Edited by bluemarble

30 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

For US booking , I find reduced deposits on many of the promo (sales) throughout the year.

Current Upgrades on Us and OBC sale  are reduced deposit.

That's very interesting. Yeah, it definitely depends where you look. I'm not seeing a reduced deposit mentioned in the terms and conditions of the current "Upgrades on Us" promotion. When I price voyages using that promotion on the Cunard US website, I am seeing the standard 25% deposit being requested. Here's an example.

Cunard US Website

Westbound Transatlantic Crossing (M425B)

Category: Sheltered Balcony BV

Promotion: Upgrades on Us

Base Fare: $2,169 per person (double occupancy)

Total Base Fare: $4,338 for two (before TFPE)

Deposit: $1,085 = 25% of $4,338

However, when I price that same voyage on the website for one of the travel agents I routinely check, here is what I am seeing.

US Travel Agent Website

Deposit: $542 = 12.5% of $4,338

I suppose this is another good reason to be looking into using a travel agent in the US. And that's not factoring in the discount off the base fare when I book through this agent.

Thanks for encouraging me to look further into this @MCC retired.

2 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That's very interesting. Yeah, it definitely depends where you look. I'm not seeing a reduced deposit mentioned in the terms and conditions of the current "Upgrades on Us" promotion. When I price voyages using that promotion on the Cunard US website, I am seeing the standard 25% deposit being requested. Here's an example.

Cunard US Website

Deposit: $1,085 = 25% of $4,338

However, when I price that same voyage on the website for one of the travel agents I routinely check, here is what I am seeing.

US Travel Agent Website

Deposit: $542 = 12.5% of $4,338

I suppose this is another good reason to be looking into using a travel agent in the US. And that's not factoring in the discount off the base fare when I book through this agent.

Thanks for encouraging me to look further into this @MCC retired.

Yes, the TA sites show the reduced deposit . We never book Cunard Directly so I 

was not aware that deposits would be different there.

I have the answer to the Reduced Deposit by US  travel agents .

It is tied to bookings done during the week long Cruise Night sales.

One of the extra benefits offered for booking with the agency during 

that week.

Agencies can also offer other goodies like additional OBC and group amenities.

Some of the larger cruise only agencies have these Cruise Night sales almost every week.

The one I use does .

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the input on possible reduced deposits. I am seeing my AAA travel agent

on Monday and we'll see what she can come up with. The deposit, just looking at Cunard's web site, and doing a make up cruise, the deposit is $3020.00.........This cruise is next July and is

a 31day deal.

Will let you know what I find. If it is a non refundable deposit then that's a no go for that.

Always get refundable deposit, and very good cancellation insurance. Both a must.

Thanks, baffles

16 minutes ago, baffles said:

Thanks all for the input on possible reduced deposits. I am seeing my AAA travel agent

on Monday and we'll see what she can come up with. The deposit, just looking at Cunard's web site, and doing a make up cruise, the deposit is $3020.00.........This cruise is next July and is

a 31day deal.

Will let you know what I find. If it is a non refundable deposit then that's a no go for that.

Always get refundable deposit, and very good cancellation insurance. Both a must.

Thanks, baffles

For the cruise you're looking at, you'll benefit from Cunard's standard US refundable deposit being lowered to 20% on voyages of 31 nights or more, rather than a 25% US deposit Cunard requests on voyages of 30 nights or less. You're just getting in under the wire for that policy with a 31-night cruise. Hopefully your travel agent will be able to reduce that deposit for you. Mine is quoting a 10% deposit for the "Upgrades on Us" promotion on that 31-night cruise on their website.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

This is one reason we book onboard….reduced and fully refundable deposits up to date of final payment.

That's what Exlondoner said earlier. We'll see what my agent can do, and what Bluemarble

said about getting 10% deposit with his agent. I have some fuel for the fire now.......

If all else fails we are booked on the Queen Elizabeth in September for Alaska out of Vancouver.

These are the last Cunard cruise out of Vancouver for 2024.........Seattle next season!!!!

Thanks, baffles

• Like 1

Just a quick follow up. My TA was able to get a very good reduced deposit, plus a big

OBC for certain reasons. Glad to have the credit but it will be gone with the new daily 

crew appreciation rate and the 31 day cruise time frame.

Looking forward to this bucket list check off.............baffles

Thanks for all the inputs!

• Like 2