Alaskan king crab

Toad

On 3/31/2024 at 5:32 PM, CNSJ said:

I look forward to trying the King Crab of the Southern Hemisphere!

We tried it in Ushuaia , our last stop on land before we went to Antarctica . Unlike the Alaskan King crab it's fresh not frozen . This is a medium . BTW Antarctica ( and Patagonia ) blows away Alaska in scenery and we have been to both twice . Our January cruise review here :

DSC09982.thumb.JPG.4aecccba3f5f94b92b6dcbb0a1b609dc.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tunafish said:

costco sells russia caught crab so is other fish dept here in FL

I think they were skirting the ban for a while by using Chinese processors. I believe the US closed that loophole back in December. So there may be excess stock still around, or another way they are skirting it. I have no clue what the EU or the Mediterranean area have in place, so Russian products may be available there. But my understanding was that a lot of the east coast crab was a product of Norway. I picked up six pounds last month on a grocery store promo at $14.99 lb. Not the giant legs I am used to, but still king.

OP, I have raved about Tracy’s King Crab Shack in Juneau for years.  Then, on an excursion in Ketchikan, we had a Dungeness Crab lunch.  Awesome.  I would not say that one is better than the other.  Similarly,  I wouldn’t say that Snow Crab is better or worse than any other crab,

Here is what I will say.  Whatever crab you try on the ship will not be as good as you can get on shore.  More than likely whatever you can get onboard will be overcooked (especially, if it has been sitting under a heat lamp) and, so, will be chewy.’

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

OP, I have raved about Tracy’s King Crab Shack in Juneau for years.  Then, on an excursion in Ketchikan, we had a Dungeness Crab lunch.  Awesome.  I would not say that one is better than the other.  Similarly,  I wouldn’t say that Snow Crab is better or worse than any other crab,

Here is what I will say.  Whatever crab you try on the ship will not be as good as you can get on shore.  More than likely whatever you can get onboard will be overcooked (especially, if it has been sitting under a heat lamp) and, so, will be chewy.’

You are probably correct since the lobster is always warm water and not at all like the cold water lobster I am used to at home.  I am certain we will find something special for my husband’s birthday, just not king crab.

6 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We tried it in Ushuaia , our last stop on land before we went to Antarctica . Unlike the Alaskan King crab it's fresh not frozen . This is a medium . BTW Antarctica ( and Patagonia ) blows away Alaska in scenery and we have been to both twice . Our January cruise review here :

DSC09982.thumb.JPG.4aecccba3f5f94b92b6dcbb0a1b609dc.JPG

That looks like a spider crab!  I would be willing to try tho.

1 minute ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

I read earlier that NCL would hold the ship and not leave people behind if on the ship's cruise . The HAL policy is the same and yet we were on a cruise thru the Panama Canal where they did in fact leave 33 people behind in Costa Rica . Here's the video of the Captain's announcement while we were at dinner .

That was covered here on cruise critic HAL board.  Some of the people on the affected excursion weighed in.  The reason given was to be able to make their Panama Canal transit reservation. That seemed to me to be a good reason. HAL did pay for every expense.  It was a miserable affair all around but HAL did live up to the guarantee which is they will pay to get you back to the ship. This differs if you had been on a private excursion where you would have had to figure out how to get back to the ship or home on your own.  There are other reasons a ship must leave a port - high winds, tsunamis, etc…

Here is the HAL guarantee

• Guaranteed best price — find a better price on any tour we offer and we'll refund you 100 percent of the price difference in the form of an onboard credit. More information available when you log in to purchase your shore excursions.
  • Earlier departure off the ship
  • Guaranteed return to the ship
  • Licensed, insured and professional local operators & Guides
  • Full refund if the port is missed
  • Flexibility to cancel up to 24 hours prior
  • Expert advice offered pre-cruise by our dedicated call center and onboard by our shore excursion staff

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That was covered here on cruise critic HAL board.  Some of the people on the affected excursion weighed in.  The reason given was to be able to make their Panama Canal transit reservation. That seemed to me to be a good reason. HAL did pay for every expense.  It was a miserable affair all around but HAL did live up to the guarantee which is they will pay to get you back to the ship. This differs if you had been on a private excursion where you would have had to figure out how to get back to the ship or home on your own.  There are other reasons a ship must leave a port - high winds, tsunamis, etc…

The fact remains that the ship sailed without them on a ship's cruise and they missed the Canal transit .

Guaranteed best price — find a better price on any tour we offer and we'll refund you 100 percent of the price difference in the form of an onboard credit.

This isn't exactly true . We booked a helicopter flight in Greenland for half of HAL's price and paid for it . HAL came in later and bought out all of the helicopter's flights including ours .  The company cancelled our flight and refunded the money because of HAL 's actions . When we spoke to HAL about it they claimed that " it is a different flight " . The difference ? A person will walk you about 100 feet to the helicopter pad - At twice the price , thus no onboard credit . The result ? We cancelled that cruise and the ship missed both ports in Greenland , the main reason that we booked .

3 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

The fact remains that the ship sailed without them on a ship's cruise and they missed the Canal transit .

It did but it got them to the ship.  It was a difficult affair for everyone but it happens.  A few times in South America we have been warned that the ship may have to sail quickly to escape a natural hazard but that they would find a way to recover the stranded passengers.  Things happen, as I recall from this unfortunate situation was the weather made roads impassable.   I am sorry you missed your cruise but having sailed Greenland I know that ice can move in and potentially trap the ship. Same in Antartica.  

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 9:33 AM, RedIguana said:

I think they were skirting the ban for a while by using Chinese processors. I believe the US closed that loophole back in December. So there may be excess stock still around, or another way they are skirting it. I have no clue what the EU or the Mediterranean area have in place, so Russian products may be available there. But my understanding was that a lot of the east coast crab was a product of Norway. I picked up six pounds last month on a grocery store promo at $14.99 lb. Not the giant legs I am used to, but still king.

in our Costco "Product of Russia" was right on the pack and boxes with crabs. All declaration of sanctions are nothing but politics and has very little with business. Even plane soarer parts and semiconductors are being imported with a single middle man. Cash talks