Mislead for Jr Suite on Grandure

I booked my cruise last fall and was very excited to be doing my first 9 day cruise. Since we didn't have to worry about air fare since we were only 15 min. from Baltimore, we decided to get the bigger Jr. Suite. I've been on Carnival and Disney and both rooms had a sleeper sofa and a pull down for the kids. Booked through a TA and told them we had a 15 yr. old daughter and a 11 yr. old son. Booked the room no problem. Fast forward to March, getting excited, checking prices on line and realize #1 - RC has changed the itenarary and we are stopping in Miami vs Grand Bahama. I'm ticked, because now 3 out of 5 ports are in Florida, and I have no burning desire to go to Miami - too expensive. I call RC to complain and while I'm on the line, I ask about the location of the pull down (I had seen some pics of other cabins where the pull down was over the 2 twins pushed together). Low and behold - there ISN'T a pull down! My son and daughter will need to share the queen size sleeper sofa! NOT GOOD!

So now what? I've called my TA every day for the past three days, and all I've gotten was a voice message saying, nope - no pull down. What should I expect of them? PLUS - RC says they changed the itinerary "some time ago" - should I have gotten a call to let me know?

I'm really disappointed, but I don't know what I should do. The agent that left me a message said if I want to cancel there will be a $50 pp charge. That's just adding insult to injury.

What do you think?:(

It's ironic that inexpensive staterooms such as insides and ocean views usually have pullmans, but the balcony cabin we had recently had the dreaded fold out couch/bed for two. Takes up waaaaaay too much room and is uncomfortable, besides. And then there's having two teens of the opposite sex having to bunk together, and what a hassle!

You have one person to blame on this and that is your TA. A good TA would know the cabin configuration on a ship that has been in service this long. Itineraries change all the time. Just part of cruising. At this point you have the option to go on the cruise with the cabin that you're currently booked in, change the cabin so that you have a true quad or cancel. I would find a new TA.

We have family with kids the same ages as yours and they give them the two twin beds, kept separate, and share the sofa sleeper. Your cabin steward can place an egg crate pad on top of the mattress and it is quite comfy.

Nothing you can do regarding the itinerary change unfortunately, but you should reconsider your choice in TA's. We've cancelled in the past and never had to pay a fee.

Smooth Sailings.

I booked my cruise last fall and was very excited to be doing my first 9 day cruise. Since we didn't have to worry about air fare since we were only 15 min. from Baltimore, we decided to get the bigger Jr. Suite. I've been on Carnival and Disney and both rooms had a sleeper sofa and a pull down for the kids. Booked through a TA and told them we had a 15 yr. old daughter and a 11 yr. old son. Booked the room no problem. Fast forward to March, getting excited, checking prices on line and realize #1 - RC has changed the itenarary and we are stopping in Miami vs Grand Bahama. I'm ticked, because now 3 out of 5 ports are in Florida, and I have no burning desire to go to Miami - too expensive. I call RC to complain and while I'm on the line, I ask about the location of the pull down (I had seen some pics of other cabins where the pull down was over the 2 twins pushed together). Low and behold - there ISN'T a pull down! My son and daughter will need to share the queen size sleeper sofa! NOT GOOD!

So now what? I've called my TA every day for the past three days, and all I've gotten was a voice message saying, nope - no pull down. What should I expect of them? PLUS - RC says they changed the itinerary "some time ago" - should I have gotten a call to let me know?

I'm really disappointed, but I don't know what I should do. The agent that left me a message said if I want to cancel there will be a $50 pp charge. That's just adding insult to injury.

Did you tell your TA that your kids would have to have there own beds? Maybe thats where things went wrong. Communication is so important. Vision class ships, (which is what the Grandeur is) have sofa sleepers in all balcony cabins. I have pictures of both Jr suites and regular balcony with sofa sleepers out. My kids shared one with no problem, son and daughter. But then they are also used to sleeping in the aft cabin in our boat and camping in tight situations. ;)

You could have the main beds put into twins and you and your spouse use the sofa sleeper.. that would work:D You really will enjoy the Jr. Suite.

My first two cruises I used a local travel agency here in town to book with. First cruise went great.....no air involved - just booked the cruise. Then halfway thru my second booking (Serenade out of San Juan) my TA had a baby and left the agency thus putting me with a new agent. Well, things got all botched up.... custom air all wrong etc etc.... HERE IS LESSON LEARNED =

When you book with a travel agent you must deal with the travel agent - not Royal Caribbean. We ended up paying $200.00 of "fees" on top of $720.00 per person for airfare to get it right.

My first TA was great - detail oriented - helped us pick out cabin....showed it to me in the catalog etc etc.... your TA should have seen that this cabin did not have a pullman (they are marked on the deck plans in the catalog and on the deck plans online - as well as adjoining cabins and wheelchair accessible.) ANOTHER LESSON LEARNED =

Always check yourself.... there are good TA's and bad TA's

anyway, just today I booked my third cruise ONLINE - BY MYSELF - NO TA. If anything is wrong - it is my fault and I will take the blame. However - I will check everything again and again before I make final payment !!!!!

Unfortunately on your ticket/cruise agreement it states they can change the itinerary. Period. And when you book through a travel agent THEY get notified and THEY should have called you.

We never cruised before but on my parents recommendation have booked 2 inside rooms that adjoin. We will have almost twice as much space, 2 bathrooms and 2 TV's and the kids can each have their own bed. Plus on our cruise (Grandeur June 9) the prices just came down on our cabins and we saved $150 a person. Originally we debated getting a JS and sharing with the kids or getting the 2 rooms (the prices were pretty close - but now I think our 2 rooms are definitely less expensive with the recent price reduction). Now, I admit that I may really regret not having a balcony, but I know that we won't hear my daughter complain that my son kicked her all night, and we will not all have to go to sleep at 8pm and be up at 6am with my 9 year old son. Perhaps you know you definitely want the balcony, but if you're flexible this may be an option.

Good Luck

When you give the TA the names of the passengers he or she should tell you the configuration of the beds etc. That is their job - they are being paid for either knowing or getting the information for you. They should have a working relationship with the cruiseline so that they can get all the information you need.

It's not your fault.

We cruised in a JS on Vision with our kids the same age as your children. We took the sofa bed and our son and daughter had the twin beds. The sofa bed was fine. We slept fine, no problem. I usually sleep well on cruises do to the movement of the ship, regardless of the bed.

We have taken our kids when about that age and we chose two outside rooms side by side. Worked great and I didnt have to worry about the kids and us wating to watch different things. Steward was great in letting us know things about where our kids had gone and letting them know when they woke that we were having breakfast not to take off we should be back at this time _______.... I would say make a change or ask for a role-away bed if it will fit.

Well as you ask I will tell you what I think, but first of all the decision can´t be made by anyone of us. The question you have to ask yourself is how uncomfortable with the situation you are. If you are that uncomfortable that it will ruin your vacation I would bite the bullet and pay the $200. If it´s an inconvenience but could still enjoy the vacation I would just calm down and go with a good mood and enjoy my vacation.

Only you can answer this.

Now here are my thoughts on your situation.

I don´t think that RCCL is to blame for this. They clearly mark that itineraries are subject to change and yes it has happened to me too. I know about it, I recognize it but it never ruined my vacation.

Regarding the bed situation I don´t know who is to blame for it but it´s definitely not the cruise line. They have their deck plans clearly marked and you can see which cabins have pull downs and which have sofa beds. You can also see which cabins sleep two, three or four people.

As I don´t know what communications went on between you and your TA I don´t know who´s fault it is that you are in this situation now.

If you have just asked for a quad cabin I don´t see the TA is at fault even if you told him the age and gender of your kids. As others posted they have been able to stay with this configuratioin without problems with different gender teens. So your TA can´t know about your situation. On the other hands if you exactly asked for two bunks or one bunk and one sofa bed and your TA promised this to you I would say he/she is at fault.

But from your post I have a feeling (and this is only an assumption on my part!) that you didn´t even think about it until you realized that there is only the sofa bed as you experienced the sofa and bunk configuration on other ships. So it might be that this was not communicated between you and your TA explicitly. If it was like this I say it´s a lesson you´ve learned now to clearly communicate your wishes and to read the deck plans, brochures and the fine print. The cancellation fee sounds like one from your TA and you should have known this at the time of booking too and I´m sure it´s in your documents somewhere.

I´m sorry for your situation but I have a feeling it´s not really a situation someone is to blame for. JMHO.

soccermomkat,

Since DCL has no "JS" , which category designation are you referring to? We have sailed DCL twice in a category 3, which is the lowest suite category. Both times, we had the double pull-out sofa bed and no pullman. If you sailed in a category 4 "deluxe family" room which hold 5 people, these or more applicable to the rarer "family cabins" or superior ocean views with 2 pullmans on RCI.

We learned this when we tried to book a penthouse suite on NCL - you can't assume that as you move to a suite among all the cruise lines that the cabins are made to accommodate more people. On NCL - we could only put 2 persons in a penthouse suite - you have to book the connecting cabin if you have 4 persons.

Other than the bigger balcony and amenities, sometimes a "suite" isn't the best solution for families.

JMHO - either way - you'd think the TA could have shown this to you. The deck plans clearly state what the sleeping accommodations are in each cabin level. For the JS level, I didn't see anything other than there is a pull-out sofa bed.

Interesting about the itinerary change from Grand Bahama to Miami.........it's still listed as Grand Bahama on the website............

Carol, from what I've seen, Grand Bahamas has been replaced with Miami for cruises after June. We're on 9/01 cruise that has now become a cruise to Florida/Mexico. But what the hay, it's a vacation:D

They can also bring in a roll away if there is room for it.

Hypo

Will a roll away fit in the JS? ... 14 yr old girl and 2 teen boys.

I'm buyin', I get a bed :p So now they're fighting over the remaining "availability"

Interesting about the itinerary change from Grand Bahama to Miami.........it's still listed as Grand Bahama on the website............

We booked the Grandeur of the Sea's back in August while onboard the SOS while cruising Alaska. If I'm correct they changed the itinerary about 3 weeks ago. Maybe that explains the price drop. I check at least one a week to see if there is aprice change and 2 weeks ago there was one for 1st & 2nd passangers. This past week I check again and the 3rd person rate droped from 899 to 179. I called RCI and they did an adjustment. We did book our cruise to Alaska thur a TA and while onboard they asked if we want to transfer it to the TA I told them I would rather have RCI hld the cruise this way I deal with them and cut out the middle man. For our Explore of the Sea's cruise in October I booked that one online through RCI.

Well, I'm going to defininetly change TA's for my next trip. I had to call the TA 3 times (since they only called me back 1 time and left voice mail) . Just got off the phone again and they did not know that the jr suite didn't have a pull down - but they do now! And, the TA called RC, and RC will NOT put a roll away in the jr. suite! The TA offered to cancel for no fee this time, but I guess we will just go and make the best of it. I'm lucky - my kids are great and they will sleep together (with a little grumbling from the 15yr. old).

And I guess I'll save some money by not doing an excursion in Miami that I would have done in the Bahamas. We have friends that live 1hr. from Miami, so hopefully they can come by and pick us up for a "private" tour of the area.

I would like to know where you can see what rooms have pull down beds though - every room on every cruise I've ever looked at say 2 twins that convert to a queen and a sleeper sofa. No mention of pull downs at all.

If you want to see deck plans go to http://www.travelocity.com/cruises then under featured cruise ships find your ship under the select a ship drop down box, then click on deck plan, and then click on the deck you want. Check the symbols that are in the room. That will tell you what type of beds are in that particular cabin.

Hope this helps.

Archived