Which ships still have self-service laundry?

Posted (edited)

I know some ships have been converting former self-service "laundrettes" to cabins, so I thought it was time to survey-update this situation.  While many ships offer a laundry service, at varying price points, many of us simply prefer to DIY.  And machine washing sometimes beats the bathroom sink! 

Edited by kaymoz
clarity

5 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

No HAL ships have it anymore.

Thanks! I was thinking of the Prinsendam and Maasdam and now realize they are no longer in the fleet.

Thank you all for this feedback -- but so disappointed to hear about HAL has eliminated them all.   I would have liked to make HAL 'my' brand, but the laundry situation is a turn-off. 

Our last voyage with HAL was on the Prinsendam, which totally spoiled me forever!

44 minutes ago, kaymoz said:

Thank you all for this feedback -- but so disappointed to hear about HAL has eliminated them all.   I would have liked to make HAL 'my' brand, but the laundry situation is a turn-off. 

HAL has (apparently) the best ships' laundry on the seas. They obey special care instructions including AIR DRY. It is very reasonable if you accumulate a bag-full to send in, which is no different than dirtying a washer-load full. As far as packing that is.

If you do the math, depending on the length of your voyage and if you are flying and paying to check bags, the daily unlimited laundry at $7 or $9 per day PER CABIN (not per person) could lessen your luggage needs enough to pay for itself.

The reluctance to use a laundry service vs DIY is not just about cost, but the challenge of clothes being “away” for some time while the ship batch laundry and delivery process unfolds.   When travelling carry-on only and not packing that many clothes to begin with, this can really matter!  I like that I can come back to the ship and change into my ‘dinner dress,’ while putting my day clothes into the wash to have ready to go the next morning if needed.  This is especially reassuring if I’ve only packed one fleece zip top or one pair of jeans, for example.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...