NYC $15 Congestion Pricing

@Host Hattie may find this more relevant on another CC site but I’ll start here. 
Starting in June, New York City is adding a $15 surcharge for driving into Manhattan below 60th. So if you planning a pre/post cruise hotel stay in Manhattan, please factor the extra charges into your travel. This charge includes taxis, Ubers, etc and will be added to the passenger’s bill. 
This surcharge not be big deal but another reason to stay in downtown Brooklyn and save money and time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NE John said:

@Host Hattie may find this more relevant on another CC site but I’ll start here. 
Starting in June, New York City is adding a $15 surcharge for driving into Manhattan below 60th.

A little misleading. Yes if you drive your own passenger vehicle it is $15 below 60th Street. If you are in a Ride-Share then $2.50 will be added to the total you pay and if you are in a Yellow Taxi the meter will get $1.25 added to it. 

No charge for those traveling FDR Drive, or West Side Highway but be careful if you exit any of those major roadways to enter a street within the newly designated area, you will be charged (if you take the West Side Highway up to 50th Street, for example, you will not be exempt from the payment).

So you could reach the Manhattan Cruise Terminal via Hugh Carey Tunnel and Westside Highway without paying the extra fee. Note that with Rider-Share/Car Service in NYC you cannot instruct on the route but with a Taxi you can, but will the driver listen 😉 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

A little misleading. Yes if you drive your own passenger vehicle it is $15 below 60th Street. If you are in a Ride-Share then $2.50 will be added to the total you pay and if you are in a Yellow Taxi the meter will get $1.25 added to it. 

No charge for those traveling FDR Drive, or West Side Highway but be careful if you exit any of those major roadways to enter a street within the newly designated area, you will be charged (if you take the West Side Highway up to 50th Street, for example, you will not be exempt from the payment).

So you could reach the Manhattan Cruise Terminal via Hugh Carey Tunnel and Westside Highway without paying the extra fee. Note that with Rider-Share/Car Service in NYC you cannot instruct on the route but with a Taxi you can, but will the driver listen 😉 

Excellent summary and clarification, thanks very much. Even when sailing from Brooklyn, we prefer to stay in northern NJ, then morning of the cruise cross the GW bridge, run down the Hudson and through the Carey Tunnel to Brooklyn and Red Hook. From your description, would that mean no fee IF we stay exactly on that specific route, both to and from Brooklyn to the GW Bridge?  If we do decide to veer off into Manhattan into the "affected" area, would our EZPass transponder be the way the fee would be collected?

24 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

If we do decide to veer off into Manhattan into the "affected" area, would our EZPass transponder be the way the fee would be collected?

@lx200gpsDrivers will be charged a toll on their E-ZPass to enter the Manhattan CBD. This includes streets in Manhattan below 60 Street. Drivers without E-ZPass will be mailed a toll bill to the address of the registered vehicle. 

Since the program is not in effect, and this is NYC I'm sure there will be updates issued right before the toll starts. Right now this is the same setup as the MTA Bridges and Tunnels but we don't know if there is any EZ-Pass discount like with the B&T's and what agency issues your EZ-Pass and if other tags like SunPass will work, you can assume probably.  Not to mention the various lawsuits still pending against the toll. 

• Like 1

I appreciate the clarification on the ride share/Uber/Taxi surcharge. There are already so many other charges associated with an Uber ride in NYC that $15 extra seems cruel. 

Going to New York City isn’t cheap 15 extra is not going to break me . I was born and raised in Brooklyn but when I visit the city we will be staying in midtown Manhattan. I want to be walking distance to Broadway and all my favorite restaurants , nightclubs and bars . 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Phil Murphy is not a happy governor.

I find it hard to understand why NJ folks think they have a right to clog NY streets and pollute NY air - without paying the same fees anyone from anywhere else is charged.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I find it hard to understand why NJ folks think they have a right to clog NY streets and pollute NY air - without paying the same fees anyone from anywhere else is charged.

New Jersey's lawsuit is not the only one filed against the congestion pricing plan. Some New Yorkers are also opposed to the plan. Per The New York Times lawsuits have also been filed by Rockland County In New York State, the United federation of teachers and the Staten Island borough president, and two other groups of city residents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/03/nyregion/nj-congestion-pricing-federal-court.html

Edited by njhorseman

On 4/4/2024 at 9:36 AM, njhorseman said:

New Jersey's lawsuit is not the only one filed against the congestion pricing plan. Some New Yorkers are also opposed to the plan. Per The New York Times lawsuits have also been filed by Rockland County In New York State, the United federation of teachers and the Staten Island borough president, and two other groups of city residents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/03/nyregion/nj-congestion-pricing-federal-court.html

I am sure there are folks living in uptown Manhattan who also would like to be able to contribute to the air pollution and heavy traffic which now comes close to strangling midtown and down town - while ignoring the abundance of public transportation.  If people were more adept at arithmetic they would also be less likely to insist upon being able to drive into the area.

On 4/5/2024 at 5:17 PM, navybankerteacher said:

I am sure there are folks living in uptown Manhattan who also would like to be able to contribute to the air pollution and heavy traffic which now comes close to strangling midtown and down town - while ignoring the abundance of public transportation.  If people were more adept at arithmetic they would also be less likely to insist upon being able to drive into the area.

I think if the politicians would ride the train without any security it would convince the public that they should also - 

This issue is far more complex than pollution which this will not solve and wont make a dent in the global carbon imprint. Its a TAX TAX TAX that they can call something else and make some money to pay for all the stuff they say they do for the average joe -

When I see veterans (maybe you are one with your handle name having NAVY in it, or you just Ike the color) sleeping on the streets I know the system is broken. I hate the city and if I go to a cruise their I will pay to pollute!

• Like 1