Need coffee geek opinion - how good is the coffee on Apex?

12 hours ago, snohorules said:

Just got off Celebrity Edge, thought I'd report on the coffee situation.

I never saw pre-pulled shots at Al Bacio. I also never got coffee there since I'm a single origin snob.

I didn't bother to ask my room attendant for a kettle. I ground beans I brought with me every morning and used hot water from the dispensers in the cafe to make a pour over. Worked great.

For the times I was too lazy to do that I just got the Lavazza from the cafe and added enough cream and sugar to make it drinkable.

Will they give you a kettle on all of the ships?

3 hours ago, Tigermad said:

Will they give you a kettle on all of the ships?

I've seen mixed comments on it. Some people say if it's a European cruise they have them but if it's a US cruise they don't/won't/can't find one sometimes. I never bothered to ask since it was easier to deal with the spent grounds in the cafe than in my room.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

I traveled with a pound of coffee and an aeropress around Russia and China 30 years ago,  What place do you get your beans from?

I have a scale from Bottomless and rotate through whatever sounds good when my bag is running low.

I typically order from west coast roasters to avoid USPS delays (Olympia Coffee Roasting my usual, but I also like Victrola, Bird Rock, Blossom, Kuma, Stamp Act, and Methodical). In the last year I've also had beans from Penstock, Revel, and Camber.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, zitsky said:

I traveled with a pound of coffee and an aeropress around Russia and China 30 years ago,

A pound of coffee would not last me six months when traveling much less 30 years. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

A pound of coffee would not last me six months when traveling much less 30 years. 

Hmm?  You just keep reusing the same coffee grounds……

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I’m surprisingly proud of the comments on here, by now there’s usually a few that will say something like: “if you don’t like X’s coffee, go sail on another cruise line!”

Very true!!! haha.  "I guess X just isn't for you" 😛 

The drip coffee isn't bad on Celebrity - I came up with quite the recipe for making a poor mans Iced Honey Latte with the drip coffee. It was a bit of a process but hey... I'm on a boat, I got time!

Pour small amount of coffee into mug.... add honey, swirl it around to make sure honey disolves.  Now Get cold cup and fill it to the top with ice, pour coffee over ice.  Add more coffee / cream to desired taste.  Enjoy! 

• Thanks 2