Need coffee geek opinion - how good is the coffee on Apex?

21 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You mean to tell me that you bring your own espresso machine onboard, and they let you?

This is like the folks who tell me to put the $10 Lodi Cabernet in a decanter.  After I’ve aerated it, of course.

Yeah, that's the ticket.  I bring along my own espresso machine, grinder and coffee accroutrements.  Oh, and I also bring along a wine decanter and venturi for those delicious Kendall Jackson wines aboard 😉  

• Haha 2

On 4/4/2024 at 7:15 PM, Harrisonkid said:

Put me in the Espresso camp also...but like food coffee can be subjective..putting Baileys in it  helps my morning nap though..lol.

Yup, helps the swill go down while at the same time, is a short haircut on the dog that bit us the night before.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Thank you for your service and your comments... 

...Need to research how Japanese customs would feel about my bringing a container of roasted beans into the country.

Same to you my fellow Vet!

I'm not versed on how specific country restrictions are about carrying on coffee beans.  I think grounds might be a better way to go but again, not sure.  I've only sailed on Mediterranean and Caribbean cruises and Celebrity allows us to bring onboard.  Never had an issue with customs in any airport (only brought them into Mexico though). As long as you keep the grounds onboard the ship upon embarkment and not take into port, I do not see any issue.

PS:  I retired here to sunny Florida after living for 15 years working in DC and living in Northern Virginia (Arlington)🙂.  I miss the seasons but after visiting at Christmas this last year, glad I made the move!

Edited by katenmax2
Adding information
  • Like 1

katenmax2

🤣“I cannot say where Celebrity sources their coffees. They advertise "local" sources in ports, which gave me hope.  “🤣

you cruise so much that you never notice the Lavazza branding on the ships 

they used Lavazza Super Crema Whole Bean in Bacio 

Celebrity even has Lavazza on their website 🤣

IMG_7103.thumb.jpeg.43972a470ddfcf74cad8f2613e07276b.jpeg

Honestly, if you are a true coffee geek- no coffee will be as good as the one you make at home with your machine.  Cafe Al Bacio is the best choice.  I get a cup with an extra shot every morning.  But the machine doesn't make it the way I like- perhaps it is the beans or something else.  Not sure.  

However it surely isn't a deal breaker and I enjoy it-  On Royal, you can (for a fee) go to the starbucks kiosk and get better coffee- but no option for starbucks on celebrity.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, katenmax2 said:

Same to you my fellow Vet!

I'm not versed on how specific country restrictions are about carrying on coffee beans.  I think grounds might be a better way to go but again, not sure.  I've only sailed on Mediterranean and Caribbean cruises and Celebrity allows us to bring onboard.  Never had an issue with customs in any airport (only brought them into Mexico though). As long as you keep the grounds onboard the ship upon embarkment and not take into port, I do not see any issue.

PS:  I retired here to sunny Florida after living for 15 years working in DC and living in Northern Virginia (Arlington)🙂.  I miss the seasons but after visiting at Christmas this last year, glad I made the move!

If you are going to tell people to travel with ground coffee, I may have to stop listening.

I did travel with ground coffee and a French press that doubled as a coffee cup thirty years ago on my trip across Russia and China.  I later used an Aeropress given to me by the inventor.  But back then, I was young and stupid.  😂

• Haha 1

While Cafe Al Bacio is the best choice for a coffee, the atmosphere is much better than the coffee.   We used to love it there but last few cruises including on the Apex and Ascent, we thought that the "baristas" needed to learn the difference between a latte, a cappuccino and a flat white.  Especially in Cafe II near the buffet.   No matter what we ordered, all these looked and taste the same.  Plus, absolutely you need to ask for an extra shot just to taste the coffee.

@katenmax2 After thinking it over, I have decided just to pick up; a jar of AGF Maxim Instant Coffee at a Lawsons or similar store in Japan and bring that with me.  Can use the hot water kettle in the room to make hot water any time I want a cup.  This is the instant coffee I drink at home when I feel like a single cup of coffee in a hurry. 

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

you cruise so much that you never notice the Lavazza branding on the ships 

they used Lavazza Super Crema Whole Bean in Bacio 

Celebrity even has Lavazza on their website 🤣

They have Lavazza with the coffee machines we've seen in our Sky Suites.  The machines make too much noise for me, so I just ask our butler to bring us coffee from Cafe al Bacio, or at least I use to when we had butlers.  Going to be interest to see what we have next month on Millennium. 

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

On Royal, you can (for a fee) go to the starbucks kiosk and get better coffee- but no option for starbucks on celebrity.

OMG - $tarSuck$ and better coffee are oxymorons. They over roast their cheap beans.  The only thing I'll order from them is a Frappuccino or a nitro cold brew.  The best hot coffee they have, INHO, is their Christmas Blend and my instant coffee still taste better. 

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

@katenmax2 After thinking it over, I have decided just to pick up; a jar of AGF Maxim Instant Coffee at a Lawsons or similar store in Japan and bring that with me.  Can use the hot water kettle in the room to make hot water any time I want a cup.  This is the instant coffee I drink at home when I feel like a single cup of coffee in a hurry. 

They have Lavazza with the coffee machines we've seen in our Sky Suites.  The machines make too much noise for me, so I just ask our butler to bring us coffee from Cafe al Bacio, or at least I use to when we had butlers.  Going to be interest to see what we have next month on Millennium. 

OMG - $tarSuck$ and better coffee are oxymorons. They over roast their cheap beans.  The only thing I'll order from them is a Frappuccino or a nitro cold brew.  The best hot coffee they have, INHO, is their Christmas Blend and my instant coffee still taste better. 

That’s what makes the world go round!  I like Starbucks other members of my family enjoy dunkin.  Actually In New Orleans I liked the chickary coffees 

• Like 1

Not at all a coffee geek but we are on Beyond this week and are really enjoying Al Bacio. Wonderful atmosphere and excellent table service. Ask for a double shot. 

IMG_20240415_074844014.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Actually In New Orleans I liked the chickary coffees 

Oh how I miss the chicory of my youth.  We were not from New Orleans but throughout the south you could find it. 

P.S. I favor Dunkin over @tarrSuck$ as well. 

1) If you love coffee from big chains like Starbucks, order your CAB (Cafe Al Bacio) coffee with an extra shot

2) With coffee enjoyment, while overall taste is a huge factor, the caffeine content is also a huge factor right behind the taste; it can make even "battery acid" tasting coffee drinkable

3) Starbucks has the highest amount of caffeine of the major coffee chains which in part is why it's so addictive for many

4) Light-roast coffee usually has more caffeine than dark-roast coffee

5) The big difference between coffee and espresso is that espresso uses high pressure which creates a layer of fat called crema (many call it "froth") on the top

9 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

1) If you love coffee from big chains like Starbucks, order your CAB (Cafe Al Bacio) coffee with an extra shot

2) With coffee enjoyment, while overall taste is a huge factor, the caffeine content is also a huge factor right behind the taste; it can make even "battery acid" tasting coffee drinkable

3) Starbucks has the highest amount of caffeine of the major coffee chains which in part is why it's so addictive for many

4) Light-roast coffee usually has more caffeine than dark-roast coffee

5) The big difference between coffee and espresso is that espresso uses high pressure which creates a layer of fat called crema (many call it "froth") on the top

A couple of notes:

* Starbucks does not have the highest caffeine amount of major coffee chains (see https://www.timeout.com/uk/news/revealed-the-coffee-chains-with-the-most-and-least-caffeine-in-their-cups-020123 and https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/leticiamiranda/who-is-the-king-of-caffeine)

* Light roasts may or may not have more caffeine - https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/caffeine-myths-dark-vs-light

* Crema isn't a layer of fat but a layer of carbon dioxide bubbles, kinda like when you pour a can of soda over ice - https://www.nicolebattefeld.com/post/what-is-crema-and-why-is-it-important

5 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

The first link is dead, second link states that 7-Eleven has the most caffeine.  Very few who discuss coffee would be buying coffee from convenience stores or gas stations.  It's a cheap cup of Joe mostly for construction workers

16 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Light roasts may or may not have more caffeine - https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/caffeine-myths-dark-vs-light

I looked at Starbucks own nutrition info which lists the caffeine and the light does have the most, yet that link is interesting.  With Starbucks at least, they're most likely using different coffee beans for their lights and darks

24 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

* Crema isn't a layer of fat but a layer of carbon dioxide bubbles, kinda like when you pour a can of soda over ice - https://www.nicolebattefeld.com/post/what-is-crema-and-why-is-it-important

Looks like we're both right...The CO2 bubbles attach to the natural oils and fats present in coffee, then rise to the top of the beverage

https://urnex.com/blog/what-is-crema-and-what-does-it-say-about-your-espresso#:~:text=The espresso crema is comprised,the top of the beverage.

We are currently on the Reflection. I haven’t had a good cup of coffee yet (I usually make americanos at home) until last night when I asked for Baileys in my americano. Solved my problem immediately. 🤣

• Like 2

12 hours ago, buzz031 said:

I haven’t had a good cup of coffee yet (I usually make americanos at home) until last night when I asked for Baileys in my americano.

I always ask for Bailey's when I order coffee on an Celebrity ship (Royal Caribbean too), even at breakfast.  They usually bring it to me in a high ball glass and I can get two cups of coffee out of the amount they put in the glass.

10 hours ago, Harrisonkid said:

BAILEYS fixes just about everything!!!lol

Try a scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream with a shot of Bailey's poured over it.  Delicious.