Need coffee geek opinion - how good is the coffee on Apex?

42 minutes ago, snohorules said:

I'm planning on asking for a kettle as well, but past CC searches give mixed signals on whether kettles are available on North America cruises. I found some people having success, and others being told there aren't any.

I love hearing "there are no kettles." You KNOW there are coffee makers/kettles/Keurigs in the suites. These beasts do exist. And I know a guy who once liberally tipped his cabin steward to find and capture such a beast out in the wilds and guess what? A KETTLE APPEARED IN HIS ROOM!🤣

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I just hit Al Bacio for an iced cappuccino with Baileys…or two.  Hits the spot. 

Too bad they taken Liquor 43 out of the classic package and put in the Premium package

2 hours ago, snohorules said:

I'm planning on asking for a kettle as well, but past CC searches give mixed signals on whether kettles are available on North America cruises. I found some people having success, and others being told there aren't any.

We cruised on the Equinox out of Fort Lauderdale in September 2023 and our cabin attendant found a kettle for us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

However, if you say anything about kettles here on CC you end up in a roaring debate about them because many are sure that they are a conflagration just waiting to happen.

We have asked for and received a kettle on every Celebrity cruise we have taken.  We enjoy Japanese and Chinese Green Tea and bring our own tea, even though Tea Forte that we like a lot is available, with us on every cruise so we can have the tea we enjoy in our room. 

3 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

They're dangerous. They burn ships down (apparently every day). Asking for one shows you don't know anything about ship's wiring and the danger you are inflicting upon everyone.

If this was a dangerous as you say I am surprised ship's still provide them and that I am not seeing coverage in the press of all these ships burning down. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We have asked for and received a kettle on every Celebrity cruise we have taken.  We enjoy Japanese and Chinese Green Tea and bring our own tea, even though Tea Forte that we like a lot is available, with us on every cruise so we can have the tea we enjoy in our room. 

If this was a dangerous as you say I am surprised ship's still provide them and that I am not seeing coverage in the press of all these ships burning down. 

Little known fact: the Titanic did NOT hit an iceberg.  It was a kettle that started a fire that did her in! 😂

• Haha 2

On 4/3/2024 at 10:32 AM, BuckeyeMark said:

Kinda worried this thread could get sideways ... not meaning to offend anyone who loves drinking day-old diner coffee that is reheated in a rusty microwave with a dash of stagnant pond water added for flavor (hey, if you like it, enjoy it! no judgment!) but I'm looking for folks who enjoy a pour-over, a V60, an Americano, an AeroPress and especially people who grind beans fresh before they make a coffee (Coffee Nerds Unite!) ... how's the coffee on the Apex? 
If they can make good coffee then I don't have to schlep a lot of gear on my cruise. Who's had good coffee on the Apex and how do you normally make coffee at home? Please: no comments or judgment on us coffee geeks. Let's keep it centered, folks: coffee nerds, how's the coffee on the Apex?

What the?  You're asking where the good coffee is and you drink an americano?  This thread is already off the rails.  😁

You could at least ask about red eyes or macchiatos.  Just go to Cafe Al Bacio.  It's pretty good.

No judgment?  Too late.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Too bad they taken Liquor 43 out of the classic package and put in the Premium package

I’ve never had the 43, I may pick up a bit to try this weekend..

12 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

You are correct.  However, if you say anything about kettles here on CC you end up in a roaring debate about them because many are sure that they are a conflagration just waiting to happen. They're dangerous. They burn ships down (apparently every day). Asking for one shows you don't know anything about ship's wiring and the danger you are inflicting upon everyone.

They also have them on every UK departure and a lot of Far East trips ... (rolls eyes).

I can get hot water and my handy travel grinder will make short work of what I need for my AeroPress. There will be good coffee on this cruise! 🙂

If I remember correctly Cunard puts kettles in all the rooms.

Hey Mark, I think I can relate to your coffee tastes...

Started drinking coffee with my Mom around age 8...Well, there you have it!  Fast forward, 1 tour in Vietnam with USMC, coffee-making involved a gas burner, a 30-gallon pot, and when the water boiled a 5lb bag of ground military grade coffee was dumped in....After a few minutes you dipped your metal coffee cup in (not too deep to avoid grounds) and Viola!.  Needless to say all of us coffee afficionados loved it!  Still like it strong to this day, usually stock up on French Roast, grind my own beans and love, love, love it El Strongo!! (As I grew older and away from home for years, when I did visit my Mom - (the root of coffee evil in my life) I had so evolved in my strong coffee tastes that she would not allow me to contaminate her Bunn coffee machine, I always had to bring my own pot and brew my own whenever I visited. LOL!

We're taking our first cruise on Celebrity later this month, on the Apex.  Looking forward to sippin' what I call "ship's coffee," i.,e. whatever they brew in the big urn in the buffet area.  On past cruises I've always enjoyed "ship's coffee" more than the jazzed up overhyped stuff at the pseudo-Starbucks places.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SemperFi_Cruiser said:

1 tour in Vietnam with USMC, coffee-making involved a gas burner, a 30-gallon pot, and when the water boiled a 5lb bag of ground military grade coffee was dumped in...

Nothing beats "midwatch coffee" on a Navy ship around 0400.  Large 25-cup pot put on at about 2300 the innards with the grounds removed and by 0400 it had re-boiled a few times.  You could almost stand a spoon up in a cup of it.  Talk about an eye opener.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SemperFi_Cruiser said:

Hey Mark, I think I can relate to your coffee tastes...

Started drinking coffee with my Mom around age 8...Well, there you have it!  Fast forward, 1 tour in Vietnam with USMC, coffee-making involved a gas burner, a 30-gallon pot, and when the water boiled a 5lb bag of ground military grade coffee was dumped in....After a few minutes you dipped your metal coffee cup in (not too deep to avoid grounds) and Viola!.  Needless to say all of us coffee afficionados loved it!  Still like it strong to this day, usually stock up on French Roast, grind my own beans and love, love, love it El Strongo!! (As I grew older and away from home for years, when I did visit my Mom - (the root of coffee evil in my life) I had so evolved in my strong coffee tastes that she would not allow me to contaminate her Bunn coffee machine, I always had to bring my own pot and brew my own whenever I visited. LOL!

We're taking our first cruise on Celebrity later this month, on the Apex.  Looking forward to sippin' what I call "ship's coffee," i.,e. whatever they brew in the big urn in the buffet area.  On past cruises I've always enjoyed "ship's coffee" more than the jazzed up overhyped stuff at the pseudo-Starbucks places.

GREAT STORY! Thank you for your service!!!

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Nothing beats "midwatch coffee" on a Navy ship around 0400.  Large 25-cup pot put on at about 2300 the innards with the grounds removed and by 0400 it had re-boiled a few times.  You could almost stand a spoon up in a cup of it.  Talk about an eye opener.  

And thank you for your story. That sounds like some powerful coffee!  Thank you for your service too!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I haven't been on the Apex...but I have been on Celebrity and had Cafe al Bacio.  

Anywhos...as a Seattleite that has my own Breville Barista Express Espresso machine at home...that uses fresh roasted beans 99% of the time for Americanos...I would say you should bring what you need to be happy.

Imo...al Bacio is fine for what it is but I found early on I needed to order flavored lattes there vs Americanos or similar.  They're just churning through stuff in such quantity that I don't see how they could get the quality to what I imagine you'd want.

Edited by ®Magic

On 4/4/2024 at 1:32 AM, BuckeyeMark said:

Kinda worried this thread could get sideways ... not meaning to offend anyone who loves drinking day-old diner coffee that is reheated in a rusty microwave with a dash of stagnant pond water added for flavor (hey, if you like it, enjoy it! no judgment!) but I'm looking for folks who enjoy a pour-over, a V60, an Americano, an AeroPress and especially people who grind beans fresh before they make a coffee (Coffee Nerds Unite!) ... how's the coffee on the Apex? 
If they can make good coffee then I don't have to schlep a lot of gear on my cruise. Who's had good coffee on the Apex and how do you normally make coffee at home? Please: no comments or judgment on us coffee geeks. Let's keep it centered, folks: coffee nerds, how's the coffee on the Apex?

On the Ascent, the bistro had a spring piston machine. Very high end machine but some of the other variables for a great shot were lacking. The coffee was Ok but not what I was hoping for. Best to bring along what you desire or just go with the flow.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 10:46 AM, LB_NJ said:

I have not been on Apex so my views are about Summit and Constellation but first a question.

Have you sailed Celebrity in the recent past? Wondering if you generally like the coffee on Celebrity and just want to know how Apex compares?

Also, you will not get a good answer to your question.  I say this because food is subjective and coffee even more so.  For example I buy good whole bean coffee and use a burr grinder at home.

However, I really don’t like Starbucks coffee which some people really enjoy.

Personally, I detest Celebrity coffee with the exception of the espresso based drinks at Baccio Cafe.  

Until you have tried the coffee onboard yourself it will be impossible to predict if you will be happy.

Pour-over RULES!!!!!!!  

We have sailed on all Edge class ships with the exception of Ascent (next year).  Have additionally sailed on Summit, Equinox and Connie.  

I am personally a coffee geek.  I grind my own blends (Opus grinder) from top quality beans sourced from numerous countries.  I am VERY picky and detest commercial coffees from Starb**** and the like.

I am also 56 points from CC Celebrity Elite Plus with numerous sailings under my belt.

In general, Celebrity Coffee offerings are weak and flavorless, as are most cruise ships (heads up Seabourn, NOT gourmet as you claim). 

The room service, Oceanview and overall standard coffee offerings on Celebrity STINK!  Weak, lacking flavor, watered down and otherwise; disgusting for us geeks.

My favorite is the Al Bacio coffees (+Al Bacio 2 (next to oceanview cafe) made to order and to our preferred espresso additions.  Apex has much better barristas than any of the other Edge class ships I've sailed. Smoother taste (read: lack of bitterness) and stronger. 

I cannot say where Celebrity sources their coffees. They advertise "local" sources in ports, which gave me hope.  I DID notice on my last Celebrity Apex sailing, in March of this year, that the Al Bacio coffees were smoother overall after visiting Roatan and Belize. I do know all Al Bacio beans are ground daily (from the barrista's mouth to my ear) but not necessarily, roasted onboard.

If you are in any Retreat Class cabin, your butler will have Al Bacio make your specialty coffee and bring to you any time of the day desired at no charge; even if you add a shot of alcohol to it.  In Royal and above suites, there will be a Levazza expresso maker with an in-suite stocked selection of premium coffees so that you are able to make your own at any time of day.  They are delicious and you can select a double.  The butler will stock cabin with the creamers, milks and sugars.  Once again, the Retreat Lounge has that nasty standard coffee.  In Luminae, they will make you any type of coffee you desire with the same offerings as Al Bacio.

If not in a Retreat Suite, room service will deliver an Al Bacio coffee made to your liking.  With a premium beverage option, there is no charge for the addition of Al Bacio coffee added to any continental room service breakfast.  The balance of the day, they will charge the $9.50+ 20% service charge.  With the classic beverage package, there will be the usual upcharge +20% gratuity to order plus room service charge.  

In the main dining rooms and Blu, the service staff will serve Al Bacio quality specialty coffees according to your beverage package restrictions.

Overall, Al Bacio coffees are THE best offering on all Celebrity ships. Luminae, Blu, Main Dining room and the ACTUAL Al Bacio cafe (including room service request for such) are THE best bet on Celebrity.  The specialty dining rooms also incorporate the Al Bacio coffees; again, depending on your beverage package level, may or may not be included.

Edited by katenmax2
Adding information
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 10:53 AM, Jim_Iain said:

I find the coffee is really good at Al Bacio.   The stuff they have for free in OVC is like drinking battery acid.    I often bring a travel french press and my own coffee.

Hi again from your fellow cruiser on Beyond (EV guys!)  Agree, OVC is battery acid.  I never thought about bringing a french press or other coffeemaking apparatus. I'm a pour over person.  My sister doesn't even drink coffee and couldn't care less when we cruise.  Didn't know Celebrity allows us to bring onboard.  Good to know if the Butler brings an electric kettle, I can make pour over with a simple setup and bring aboard my own fresh grounds.  Thank you for this suggestion! C U all soon on a future cruise.

On 4/7/2024 at 10:48 PM, DaKahuna said:

Wowza.....Vets onboard here.  Salute!  Air Force veteran here.  Best coffees ever were offbase when I was stationed in Turkey and Italy.  Nothing compares.  On Summit back in 2022 (right after the covid lockdown), Zafer Colak, a Turkish native and hotel director on Summit, had the staff in the Tuscan restaurant make me his specialty Turkish Coffee. Was sooooo yummy!  The extraction method is important and the Summit barrista made it to perfection. 

It IS possible to garner specialty coffees on Celebrity, regardless of beans IF you make friends with those in the know. Zafer and I connected based upon our Turkish experience.

Note:  Do not be aftraid to talk with and engage in conversations with your cruise staff, directors, etc....  they will provide a much better overall experience overall once you do.  Has never failed me and I have some personal home phone numbers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

Hi again from your fellow cruiser on Beyond (EV guys!)  Agree, OVC is battery acid.  I never thought about bringing a french press or other coffeemaking apparatus. I'm a pour over person.  My sister doesn't even drink coffee and couldn't care less when we cruise.  Didn't know Celebrity allows us to bring onboard.  Good to know if the Butler brings an electric kettle, I can make pour over with a simple setup and bring aboard my own fresh grounds.  Thank you for this suggestion! C U all soon on a future cruise.

You lost me at pour over.  You realize that’s just the same as a drip coffee pot?  Tell me why not.  And Cafe Al Bacio has the best coffee?  How is that possible when they buy coffees picked under a crescent moon when everyone knows the best coffee is picked under a full moon?  Plus they don’t even serve Ethiopian coffee.  🙄

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You lost me at pour over.  You realize that’s just the same as a drip coffee pot?  Tell me why not.  And Cafe Al Bacio has the best coffee?  How is that possible when they buy coffees picked under a crescent moon when everyone knows the best coffee is picked under a full moon?  Plus they don’t even serve Ethiopian coffee.  🙄

Well, there are apples and oranges here.  Drip coffee makers often are so basic, they fail to bloom the coffee grounds - essential to producing a quality coffee without bitterness.  Even IF the drip coffeemakers - Read, I have one of the better ones - A Behmor Brazen 3 (for large pots, and it blooms coffee at my desired timing settings), they do not allow for the disposal of the initial first bloomed bean coffee disposal. These intital drippings are bitter.  A pour over method allows for the blooming as well as disposal of the intitial bitter coffee dripping.  More work, yes.  The result is a full flavored coffee without the bitterness.  Of course, ground size is an additional element in play. Pour over or espresso pour over, require a smaller grind than drip coffee makers.  It's a play to your taste like for both methods.

That all said, Al Bacio, onboard Celebrity has the best offerings for THEIR coffee vs bringing along one's own equipment and beans.  

If I booked a long cruise (say 28 days or better), you'd bet your life and hands down, I would bring along my own grinds and drip equipment. Yes, I AM a coffee snob but actually find Celebrity Al Bacio coffee tolerable - especially with an added shot or 2 of espresso.

I haven't heard about the full moon vs crescent moon but, think you are pulling my leg on that one.  And yes, I enjoy Ethiopian coffees as well. Kona, Jamaican Blue Mountain and select small grower Columbian are my favorites.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

Well, there are apples and oranges here.  Drip coffee makers often are so basic, they fail to bloom the coffee grounds - essential to producing a quality coffee without bitterness.  Even IF the drip coffeemakers - Read, I have one of the better ones - A Behmor Brazen 3 (for large pots, and it blooms coffee at my desired timing settings), they do not allow for the disposal of the initial first bloomed bean coffee disposal. These intital drippings are bitter.  A pour over method allows for the blooming as well as disposal of the intitial bitter coffee dripping.  More work, yes.  The result is a full flavored coffee without the bitterness.  Of course, ground size is an additional element in play. Pour over or espresso pour over, require a smaller grind than drip coffee makers.  It's a play to your taste like for both methods.

That all said, Al Bacio, onboard Celebrity has the best offerings for THEIR coffee vs bringing along one's own equipment and beans.  

If I booked a long cruise (say 28 days or better), you'd bet your life and hands down, I would bring along my own grinds and drip equipment. Yes, I AM a coffee snob but actually find Celebrity Al Bacio coffee tolerable - especially with an added shot or 2 of espresso.

I haven't heard about the full moon vs crescent moon but, think you are pulling my leg on that one.  And yes, I enjoy Ethiopian coffees as well. Kona, Jamaican Blue Mountain and select small grower Columbian are my favorites.

You mean to tell me that you bring your own espresso machine onboard, and they let you?

This is like the folks who tell me to put the $10 Lodi Cabernet in a decanter.  After I’ve aerated it, of course.

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

Air Force veteran here. 

Thank you for your service and your comments. 

Making friends with crewmembers is 100% the way to go.  I made friends with the Beverage Manager on my last Millennium cruise and as a result there was a bottle of a beverage, that was no longer carried onboard at the time,  given to the Retreat Bartender with instructions to hide it and only serve it to me.  

I am trying to talk my DW into letting me carry my hand mill and some beans with us on our upcoming cruise.  Need to research how Japanese customs would feel about my bringing a container of roasted beans into the country.

• Like 1