Viking River excursions

Allieup

Several years ago we did a Viking River cruise on the Rhine River. They had separate included excursions for whose I would call slow walkers, those of us who are able to walk but with limitations on distance and stairs. Are they still offering those excursions?

4 hours ago, Allieup said:

Are they still offering those excursions?

Yes, they do. They might ask for a minimum of, say, 5 pax to run a "leisurely" group. You will be asked to book on board.

We saw this for the first time recently - December/January - on Treasures of the Rhine.  If it had been offered in the past we were not aware.  On this cruise I think that there was a significant group that took this tour daily. 

We thought it was a great idea as we have seen many struggle to keep up with some guides.  

We have had some guides that are in general too slow and some that are not self-aware as to how fast they are moving.  It is all over the place.

I think that you might want to also ask on boarding if this is going to be offered.  Kind of "remind" them that it is needed.

Viking has always offered the "Gentle Walkers" group on the past four cruises I have taken. You cover the same territory, just at a slower pace, and often avoiding inclines or stairs w/o handrails.  Only difference is that sometimes your free or shopping time was shortened 

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Viking River excursions

I hope the OP doesn't mind me piggy backing in a question.  I have searched and not had good results.  I'm trying to figure out what a Viking privileged access excursion is.  Of course, that's the only excursion that really interests me.  

How does one get to be privileged?

Thanks,

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JosieCat-MN said:

Viking privileged access excursion

I think what it means is that Viking have privileged access to the place to the place being visited. All guests on the boat can go on the excursion - it's not restricted to a few privileged guests.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, knoxclone said:

Viking has always offered the "Gentle Walkers" group

That's my recollection also

16 hours ago, knoxclone said:

You cover the same territory,

Not always. Sometimes there's no alternative way to access part of the excursion, so the gentle walkers don't go there.

• Like 1

That may be true..luckily,  I have not had that experience. My suggestion is if there is a "must do"  I would ask the guide prior to leaving on the excursion. 

20 hours ago, JosieCat-MN said:

I hope the OP doesn't mind me piggy backing in a question.  I have searched and not had good results.  I'm trying to figure out what a Viking privileged access excursion is.  Of course, that's the only excursion that really interests me.  

How does one get to be privileged?

Thanks,

Like @pontac said, YOU don't have to be privileged to access this.

My understanding is, and I could be wrong, that this is an excursion that Viking Cruise Lines is offering that other cruise lines do not offer.  I have been under the impression that this would be something that would set Viking apart and is usually delving deeper into a culture or historic site.

I also think that generally these are Optional excursions that you are going to pay for too.  

Privileged access is when it is not open to the general public. It doesn't mean that other cruise lines or groups cannot get the same access, sometimes at the same time as you.

I was on a cruise from Istanbul to Venice that had privileged after hours access to St. Mark's Cathedral. We were not the only group there at the time. This access is also offered by Uniworld on their Venice cruises, and probably by others.

• 2 weeks later...

On some cruises, there is no slow walkers.  Just off Viking Mississippi. The various excursions listed the activity level. There were very mild to extremely active. Most included excursions were slow.  There were lots of slow walkers using canes, walkers, and wheelchairs.  Viking did a good job of being accessible.