Dogs

8 hours ago, cccole said:

The above photo is of a comfort dog not a service dog?   Is there no official paperwork that is required?  The woman has a brace on her knee but the dog does not seem to be helping with that.  I would love to bring our dog on a cruise but I just don't think I can put a fake "service dog" halter on him.  The other problem is taking your dog in an area where there may be someone who is allergic to dogs.  Post #11 does make me think twice about judging.  Maybe the woman in Post #14 has problems that we are not aware of.  So sad if someone is abusing a program meant to help those with special needs.  Cherie

We have this harness - it's from True Harness - and when you order it you can customize the velcro "sign" that attaches to the side. We have our pups names and my cell number. 

We saw someone do this on our flight home last month - little dog like this (ours are Silky Terriers that look much like this as well) in a red vest, then we deplaned and as we headed to pick up our luggage, the owner took off the sign, put a leash on the dog and then RAN up the escalators. SO frustrating, we were just looking at a long cruise (35 days) and realized we could never do it because we would never be away from Banjo and Kazooie that long. I hate seeing this.  😞  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am aware that horses are often used to help people with mental health challenges.  Will this be next?  The walk around the promenade deck will never be the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

When I was on the Prinsendam, one of the entertainers (Melissa Manchester) had a small dog with her. It did not have a vest on. I didn’t see it in the dining room, but did see it in other parts of the ship. I wonder if entertainers have a different rule set? 🤔

• Like 2

I have a service dog a Labadoodle because I am vision impaired.  He gives  me confidence to go out on my own.  However, as my next cruise involves  a 14 hours flight  and I don’t know how dog friendly Japan is.  He is staying at home and I will be using my white cane and husband.  The whole idea of the crowds of people being around is frightening, but I’m sure it will be OK

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jay888 said:

I have a service dog a Labadoodle because I am vision impaired.  He gives  me confidence to go out on my own.  However, as my next cruise involves  a 14 hours flight  and I don’t know how dog friendly Japan is.  He is staying at home and I will be using my white cane and husband.  The whole idea of the crowds of people being around is frightening, but I’m sure it will be OK

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

I’m sure I will, thank you 

• Like 2

HAL must clarify what is or is not a service dog  on any of their ships .Additionally , HAL needs to limit where the service dogs are allowed on their ships.JMVHO

• Like 1

It's not the dog; it's the owner.  My niece puts her dogs up on the counter and lets them eat from her plate with her.  I look for hotels that do not allow pets because I know how nuts people are putting them up on the beds.  This is just my preference and may not be what others think.  When I see someone with their non service dog, I give them a wide berth.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, jay888 said:

Japan is extreme strict.  They only allow X number in.  It's a lot more than rabies shots; it's microchips, quarantine, etc.  I doubt most people would bring their dogs in and then you would really have to ask if it is worth it to travel to such a place.  

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 9:37 PM, pilot said:

Had a first last night in the dining room on Nieuw Statendam. Saw a couple leaving the dining room with a dog in a stroller. Have been on previous cruises and have seen working service dogs, but never have seen one pushed around in stroller through the dining room. 

That is one for the books 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

In the first picture, the dog is not in compliance with the rules of the ADA, but at least in the second picture it is.  The ADA states, unequivocally that a service dog has to be in one of two allowable locations: on the floor, or in the owner's arms, or a chest carry harness.  Small dogs, typically for diabetics, are allowed to be kept in the owner's arms or a chest carry harness, if they need to be close to the owner's face to detect keto acidosis.

I cannot think of a "service" that a small dog would provide for a person with a knee brace, sine the person would still have to bend down to the dog.

Those with allergies to a dog do not have the right to challenge the person with the dog as to whether it is a service dog or not, but do have the right to challenge the cruise line about it. 

I have a brace on my knee doesn’t require a dog to assist me. The staff on board do that. No dogs in food areas period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Niagarawine said:

I have a brace on my knee doesn’t require a dog to assist me. The staff on board do that. No dogs in food areas period.

Sorry, but the ADA allows service dogs to be in food service areas like restaurants.  Typically, they will lie under the table.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I also have type two diabetes and high blood pressure. I cruise to lower and this is making it higher. I know that service animals are wonderful. We have parishioners who attend mass with their pets but these are not areas with food and pose no health and safety issues. Also my lovely neighbor has a gorgeous dog who is trained well and rarely barks.  It’s justo,ain selfishness to allow this.otgers including my husband who is in remission from cancer  and needs peace and quiet which is why we cruise.I will have to rethink my travel plans .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Sorry, but the ADA allows service dogs to be in food service areas like restaurants.  Typically, they will lie under the table.

These are not service dogs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

But, the ADA specifically states there are only two places a service dog should be, and a stroller is not one of them.

That is correct.  The handler/owner may harness them close to the chest for those who have a glucose alert dog.  Otherwise, the dog is tethered on the floor.  

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, AryMay said:

From the Koningsdam in February...

IMG_6576.JPG

IMG_6580.JPG

Hmmmm.  Looks an awful lot like this Temu $10 harness.  Could be wrong but I doubt legitimate service dog harnesses are coming from Temu.  

image_2024-04-09_065552527.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

These are not service dogs.

I agree, but your statement was "no dogs in food areas period".  That statement precludes service dogs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toad said:

I am aware that horses are often used to help people with mental health challenges.  Will this be next?  The walk around the promenade deck will never be the same.

I wouldn't wanna be the 1 to clean that up

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

That is one for the books 

I am wondering if the cruise line is insisting that the dog be put in the stroller. Instead of walking all over the floor or the chance that it may run away. Someone may trip over it. Any number of things.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Could be wrong but I doubt legitimate service dog harnesses are coming from Temu. 

Most likely correct, but since there is no requirement for a service dog to have a harness, sign, or any other distinctive marking, there isn't really a distinction between a "legitimate" one and a non-legitimate one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, shadow 123 said:

I am wondering if the cruise line is insisting that the dog be put in the stroller. Instead of walking all over the floor or the chance that it may run away. Someone may trip over it. Any number of things.

The cruise line may also not want the dog pooping on the floor in the dining room. Just thinking out loud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, shadow 123 said:

The cruise lines are well aware of the ADA requirements.  They are also well aware of the bad PR they can get from disallowing someone who claims to have a service animal that really isn't.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, shadow 123 said:

The cruise line may also not want the dog pooping on the floor in the dining room. Just thinking out loud.

A true service animal meets the "code of conduct" that the DOJ has for service animals covered by the ADA.  That includes being trained to only relieve themselves in designated areas, or on command.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The cruise lines are well aware of the ADA requirements.  They are also well aware of the bad PR they can get from disallowing someone who claims to have a service animal that really isn't.

This whole issue is crazy . The real question is why is a service dog required by a passenger ?  First is the why & then 2nd is  it really necessary for the animal to ne with that person  .Perhaps a medical doctor must approve  that the person must have the animal with them before it is allowed on a cruise ship aside from the ADA guidelines

• Like 3