LIVE from Oasis of the Seas Transatlantic (with bonus Disney World) April 2024

20 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

Glad to hear!! Enjoy the rest of your Disney trip!! We are DVC members but haven’t been to a park since 2015.  I miss it!

Are you renting your points? We own at the Boardwalk- we skipped several years, and went back last year. We were considering selling, but had such a good time that we’re not going to! Besides, our adult kids like us having it.

Anyhow, back to laurieal’s review!

34 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Never.  Wife and I are die hard fans.  We had planned for a big Disney trip in 2020, but, Covid derailed it and we never rescheduled.  Rise of the Resistance IS the plan, among others.  The problem is my wife does not really do rides, so most of Disney is kind of lost to her.  Me on the other hand, I have no problem with most rides.  The ONLY thing that gives me pause to get on a ride is whether or not I will get wet.  I can get on the tallest, fastest roller coaster with no hesitation or fear, but "hey, wanna go on splash mountain?"  I'm like 8myb84.jpg

I’m so excited to see it through your eyes! I thought they did a really good job creating an immersive world. 

I’m also not a fan of getting wet, but I have a policy that if a theme park made a ride accessible for wheelchair users to transfer more easily, then I have to do it. That’s how the Freezing Cold and Wet Incident happened in Universal the last time I was there. So many  (three) accessible water rides 😔 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, laurieal said:

I’m so excited to see it through your eyes! I thought they did a really good job creating an immersive world. 

I’m also not a fan of getting wet, but I have a policy that if a theme park made a ride accessible for wheelchair users to transfer more easily, then I have to do it. That’s how the Freezing Cold and Wet Incident happened in Universal the last time I was there. So many  (three) accessible water rides 😔 

Its very likely you'll just see a couple of threads of "Squeeee!!!!!!!!!"

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

Glad to hear!! Enjoy the rest of your Disney trip!! We are DVC members but haven’t been to a park since 2015.  I miss it!

31 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

Are you renting your points? We own at the Boardwalk- we skipped several years, and went back last year. We were considering selling, but had such a good time that we’re not going to! Besides, our adult kids like us having it.

I was actually going to ask about the renting of points. 

Do either of you have a site to recommend for renting? My friends and I made a quick stop in Animal Kingdom Lodge yesterday and it sparked a conversation about DVC resorts and which ones we’d like to stay in one day as part of a split stay. 

Hello from Magic Kingdom!

I’m flying solo today. My friends are having brunch at Topolino’s and then a very well deserved rest day. We will meet up later for a fun dinner. Since I’m alone, I’ll aim for a few short updates during the day. We’ll see how it goes. 

Before I get started, since there are a few Disney World fans reading this thread, what is your favourite thing to do/eat/see in that park?

IMG_9616.thumb.jpeg.1d7c51f8449516f3a21326785fc9d980.jpeg

IMG_9620.thumb.jpeg.b1ab37897b33da1807330fc21c549b22.jpeg

I’m starting my day with a breakfast of champions in Tomorrowland: some cinnamon and caramel sticky bread and a cold brew float. They were both delicious. If I may say something brave and controversial, I preferred the sticky bread to the cinnamon roll at Gaston’s Tavern. 

IMG_9618.thumb.jpeg.e0ab43cdba09186ce8653f17c0356f1c.jpeg

IMG_9619.thumb.jpeg.18c006ac69005cae52e9290013561e8d.jpeg

Fuelled by caffeine and sugar, I will now head to Fantasyland. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2024 at 12:23 PM, laurieal said:

There may or may not have been some screaming involved. 

Are you referring to the ride .... or when you saw the price of admission to the parks? 😂

Yeah, I know I'm late to the party.  I'm reading fast to try to catch up.

Edited by ramja96
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

Are you referring to the ride .... or when you saw the price of admission to the parks? 😂

Yeah, I know I'm late to the party.  I'm reading fast to try to catch up.

2 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

OH!! Jokes!! So many jokes!!

jokes.gif

All the screaming related to the price of admission was done previously while at home. Same for the screaming related to the conversion rate between CAD and USD. 

I’m ashamed to say I didn’t even realize what I was writing regarding the Virgin Lady. I’ll blame it on the lack of sleep 😂 

Thank you for joining me and also for giving me a good laugh. 

• Haha 5

52 minutes ago, laurieal said:

Do either of you have a site to recommend for renting? My friends and I made a quick stop in Animal Kingdom Lodge yesterday and it sparked a conversation about DVC resorts and which ones we’d like to stay in one day as part of a split stay. 

I rented out points once through David’s Vacation Club Rental (I think that’s the name). They take rental requests and people that want to rent, and much them up.

From the owner perspective, it was fast and easy. If you have specific requests, make sure you ask at the point of booking your stay- near the elevators, specific floor etc. 

• Like 1

One of my favourites is adult beverages on the terrace at the Nomad Lounge. Favourite rides- Tower of Terror, Rock and Rollercoaster, Flights of Passage, Expedition Everest, Guardians of the Galaxy, anything Star Wars related…

The only thing that I am not allowed to ride is It’s a Small World. Well, I could, but no one will come with me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

The only thing that I am not allowed to ride is It’s a Small World. Well, I could, but no one will come with me.

You're not missing much, imo.  And then that damn song sticks in your head for the rest of the day! 😖

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

Yes I have been renting them out.  My son is 22 so once he starts having kids I am hoping I will start using them again:). We did stay at AKV one night last year when we had a night between a S2S

2 hours ago, laurieal said:

Most people use FB groups now to rent their points.  There are several groups out there.  That is what I always use to rent mine. If you choose to do that instead of David’s it would normally be cheaper, just be sure to vet the owner (ask for references, search the Orange County comptroller site for proof of deed, make sure they use a contract, etc).  Most people on the sites are honest 🙂

sorry Laurie 🙂

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quick mid-day update. The Little Mermaid ride only had a 5 minutes posted wait, so it would have been rude not to ride. 

IMG_9621.thumb.jpeg.ec0110d54f34267e318d63980e066ca9.jpeg

IMG_9623.thumb.jpeg.4c21d5a09bfe3b06e4466096d8111dc0.jpeg

Then, I saw Mickey’s Philharmagic. They added a Coco scene since the last time I saw the show, so it was good to see it again. It’s always such a delight. 

IMG_9630.thumb.jpeg.bb525586f81a17f3e4e11174ac480851.jpeg

Seems like I was connecting with some people on this thread, because my next stop was It’s a Small World. What? I’m going on a cruise soon. I need my sea wheels. 

IMG_9641.thumb.jpeg.b2e275769ccdd654c8b93b907a5a657e.jpeg

IMG_9633.thumb.jpeg.2278b191afca154a95311d16990b140d.jpeg

IMG_9640.thumb.jpeg.1b15e983c5e12077842d671c62d1c16b.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

I tell ya - I hardly recognize WDW anymore.  It's been 28+ years since I was last there.  A lot has changed.  I used to live in Orlando back in the early 90's, so I went there so much I started breaking out in hives at the thought of Mickey Mouse.  Don't have any desire to return, but I enjoy seeing the stuff that's "new".

• Like 3

Looks like you are having a great time at MK today. I used to work at WDW (12 years) so I've had my fill of it and my free passes are long gone. My favorite things to do at MK are anything with air conditioning. Dark and cool is even better (Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain). Have fun whatever you do today!

• Like 3

Really enjoying your review.  Your vacation to me is the ideal vacation as it covers my two favorite holidays:  Disney park and a cruise!  What could be better?

We were last at Disney in Aug 2022 so aside from Tron, the rides were there.  Magic Kingdom is my favorite park...and favorite ride is Haunted Mansion.  You can ride it many times and notice something new each time.  We originally had plans to go to Disney World in Aug 2020 but obviously didn't make it but also had Pop Century booked because of the Skyliner.  Star Wars land is pretty impressive at Hollywood Studios (and I'm not even a Star Wars fan).

Enjoy the days at Disney before your cruise (and hopefully you can get your chair fixed quickly).  

• Like 1

After I was done with Fantasyland (for now), I headed to Frontierland. On the way, I ran into the Disney Adventure Friends Cavalcade. It’s only a few minutes and it’s super cute so I had to pause and check it out. 

IMG_9645.thumb.jpeg.73edfc5d2faa5880cce40dd362ad4cb5.jpeg

IMG_9647.thumb.jpeg.be2329d904b7b10b871f06ded0a53349.jpeg

After that, I got a return time for Big Thunder Mountain. Since it was only 15 minutes away, I decided to stay close and have a water, sunscreen and Cruise Critic break. 

I was offered to ride Big Thunder twice, again. This time, I realized that if I do that the cast members don’t have to roll my wheelchair all the way to the other platform. It’s fine. It makes their job earlier and I get more enjoyment out of my transfer. Win-win!

IMG_9649.thumb.jpeg.163644d65ff66882653ec308eabd0a48.jpeg

IMG_9651.thumb.jpeg.afdc54114a9b29d348952f9f356e1834.jpeg

I wanted to try Peco’s Bill for a quick lunch snack, but I was in the mood for nachos and they don’t have those in a kids portion. I decided to skip it, but I’m so looking forwards to El Loco Fresh on Oasis!

Instead, I had an order of hush puppies from Columbia Harbour House. 

IMG_9653.thumb.jpeg.35b2367869049d5a1340ec5e25757fc3.jpeg

If you’re planning a Disney World trip and it’s been a while since you’ve been: mobile orders. This is the way. You’ll save so much time versus waiting in line, especially during peak meal hours. 

Also, you can ask for free glasses of cold water in all the quick service restaurants. This is also the way. 

• Like 10

Loving all the Disney pics! We haven't been since covid and our son has kinda grown out of it (he prefers Universal parks instead). Looks like the weather is great and crowds seem minimal.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramja96 said:

You're not missing much, imo.  And then that damn song sticks in your head for the rest of the day! 😖

For those of us that went to the 1964 World’s Fair, it’s the nostalgia. 

• Like 5

I’m back to my room, but I am exhausted and I just set an alarm for a ridiculous time considering I’m on vacation. 

Also, I’m never eating again. 

I will finish the review of my Magic Kingdom day tomorrow. We did something really fun for dinner and I’m excited to share. But because you are all being so patient with me, here are some pictures of my very first Disney back in 1997. 

IMG_9106.thumb.jpeg.eb859bd20bc23e7d428e1006e0ce1244.jpeg

IMG_9103.thumb.jpeg.a1e71b62179560c084647425be5ff05f.jpeg

IMG_9104.thumb.jpeg.239d78364f638a321b4a58a7b552e58b.jpeg

IMG_9105.thumb.jpeg.aaaed2b9ff7349aac97004bf58d14bf6.jpeg

• Like 20

1 hour ago, laurieal said:

But because you are all being so patient with me, here are some pictures of my very first Disney back in 1997. 

My first Disney World visit was in 1971.  Last visit was 1998, just before Animal Kingdom opened.

• Like 1