LIVE from Oasis of the Seas Transatlantic (with bonus Disney World) April 2024

10 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

I am a fellow Canadian that will be joining you onboard the TA! I am looking forward to reading your live and meeting you onboard!  I love your writing style so far.

I live in New Brunswick and I am travelling with my husband and my sister,  Hubby and I are also staying onboard for the May 5th sailing. We are flying down to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday on AirTransat out of Halifax and flying home on the 12th from Barcelona on Westjet. Flight travel to Atlantic Canada is so bizarre -  we have to fly from Barcelona to Calgary before we fly back to the East Coast 🤣

Hello, fellow Canadian! My mother’s side of the family is from New Brunswick, but I have yet to visit. If you have an internet package, don’t hesitate to chime in with thoughts and opinions along the way! 

That is quite the detour! I would have thought there would be some options via Toronto. How long will it take you to get home?

On 4/11/2024 at 10:08 AM, laurieal said:

Juliette, as usual, is helping and providing great moral support. And also probably having an existential crisis based on her expression. 

Seeing that she’s an orange cat, I can only wonder what awaits you upon your return. Safe travels and I’m missing Disney as you post from there. 

• Like 2

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

Seeing that she’s an orange cat, I can only wonder what awaits you upon your return. Safe travels and I’m missing Disney as you post from there. 

According to the experts (and by experts I mean strangers on the internet), all orange cats share one single brain cell. I don’t think Juliette has had a turn yet, so I don’t expect any mischief, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find her stuck under a couch cushion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Wifi wanted nothing to do with me last night, so I skipped posting pictures and went straight to sleep. I can’t say I was too mad; those Disney days can be pretty tiring. 

Our plan was to book Rise of the Resistance right at seven, but what we later learned was that the ride was having issues and would be down at park opening. They decided to block most, if not all, of the lightning lane purchases for the day so we just figured we wouldn’t be able to ride it and planned our day accordingly. 

I was at the park early to be one of the firsts to ride Tower of Terror. It’s one of my favourites and my I figured I would get it done early while my friends were still at the resort.

IMG_9397.thumb.jpeg.721cc71641bbcd5e384f4ab053cdfb79.jpeg

Then, because it was still early and the wait was so low, I rode Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway. 

IMG_9401.thumb.jpeg.a297d8571a4767470df56a13514fa99f.jpeg

When my friends joined me, we shared a couple of blueberry Mickey waffles for breakfast. 

IMG_9409.thumb.jpeg.9d8fb4a27aae26973d74e51edfdb3dc6.jpeg

We were just across the street from the Beauty and the Beast show, so we made our way over there after breakfast. Beauty and the Beast is my favourite movie, because a love story without some kidnapping and Stockholm Syndrome just doesn’t do it for me. Also, Gaston is my favourite (but also the worst). 

IMG_9410.thumb.jpeg.8fc8bbe5b8d14fc6dead54dc1d24ef8d.jpeg

IMG_9414.thumb.jpeg.76afd58681de983b24adbb5e40c7edf0.jpeg

Olaf had a posted short wait, so we went to say hello. 

IMG_9479.thumb.jpeg.345d7f55e53e0ad59908eccad5595ec3.jpeg

• Like 8

Since our next plan was in Toy Story Land, we stoned my the Walt Disney Presents exhibit and enjoyed some AC for a bit while we had a look. 

Then, since our next plan was in Toy Story Land, we each got a kid’s meal from Woody’s Lunch Box. 

IMG_9428.thumb.jpeg.87d586c24a79b7aca4c710b649c054f9.jpeg

I rode Slinky Dog Dash with one of my friends and then we rode Toy Story Mania all together. I don’t have any pictures with just me from that part of the day, so you’ll have to believe me.

While we were taking a hydration and sunscreen pause, we saw that Rise of the Resistance had some Individual Lightening Lanes available, so we grabbed that. Then, we saw that we could book Millenium Falcon for not too long after so we also grabbed that. Suddenly, we were in our Star Wars era. 

IMG_9432.thumb.jpeg.32f12383a36a272b9a70c27c55f6e64b.jpeg

IMG_9433.thumb.jpeg.d504890a1a20624a8e185d076dc671c8.jpeg

IMG_9480.thumb.jpeg.a97661b2298af9fa0d9027401228863b.jpeg

IMG_9441.thumb.jpeg.4190170e69d7a29dbdae6a3737b9b48a.jpeg

• Like 12

Rise of the Resistance was fantastic, as usual. I’m so glad we got to ride it in the end.

IMG_9453.thumb.jpeg.ed26f3490fcda7f90560423004aefe23.jpeg

IMG_9454.thumb.jpeg.857c281c0e32505065abe3f78f6150d5.jpeg

IMG_9455.thumb.jpeg.02998a3a73cd00abd404a0c2e4eb0542.jpeg

Millenium Falcon ended up being a super fun experience, because it was just me and my two friends in the cockpit. 

IMG_9474.thumb.jpeg.470ec4af912dc01534ce9eef3ff38a6d.jpeg

After that, it was time for a feeding. We went to Docking Bay 7 in Galaxy’s Edge for some space delicacies. One that tray is one chicken kid’s meal, one beef entrée, and a dessert that was some kind of mousse. I had the yucca fries with a space coffee and some space popcorn. 

Heck yeah, space food!

That popcorn ended up being surprisingly delicious. It’s a mix of fruity and spicy. Very unusual and definitely not for everyone, but I would get it again. 

IMG_9467.thumb.jpeg.6e0155c88a27f51726bfa9bc8e134c4c.jpeg

IMG_9466.thumb.jpeg.87debd4a0c505cdb6267637eb87d1ae0.jpeg

IMG_9450.thumb.jpeg.66bbbc8bdd24c012696aa70edfd63279.jpeg

We hung out in space for a bit making plans for the next day, but we still had one last ride booked. But before we went there, we made a stop for some passion fruit, orange and guava gelato and the Muppet 3D show. 

IMG_9476.thumb.jpeg.76185a019be2fd25b80dd1fbe75d1121.jpeg

IMG_9477.thumb.jpeg.668adfbaddc81707050d213b064f8e5a.jpeg

We rode Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, and then slowly made our way out of the park. 

• Like 9

On 4/12/2024 at 12:53 PM, laurieal said:

We’ve made it to Disney’s Pop Century!

IMG_9124.thumb.jpeg.1fd1667adfc49e6835e42536f565ca41.jpeg

The flight was good, we even got there a bit earlier than planned. We ordered a Lyft XL to our hotel and the driver was super helpful and nice. 

We were hoping for joining rooms, but we got side by side which is completely fine. We are in our preferred section, the 50s. 

The room actually sleeps four people. The table turns into a bed. 

I’m currently unpacking because I know what will happen if I put future Laurie in charge of that. Then, I’m going to Epcot to become a Guardian of the Galaxy. 

Nice timing on this photo for me, just coming into the thread and will watch with enjoyment, we are coming down in a few weeks for Wonder, but my wife and I, just starting retirement are going to come early and do one day in the Magic Kingdom, we were there first in 1974 and then many times, but haven't been back since 2003. Can't wait to see it again.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Nice timing on this photo for me, just coming into the thread and will watch with enjoyment, we are coming down in a few weeks for Wonder, but my wife and I, just starting retirement are going to come early and do one day in the Magic Kingdom, we were there first in 1974 and then many times, but haven't been back since 2003. Can't wait to see it again.  

How fun! I was on Wonder for her TA back in 2022 and had a wonderful time. 

If you have any questions about Disney or Magic Kingdom, don’t hesitate to ask!

Hey Hey Hey!!!  Stop stealing my idea!!!  Dang, you're already there, that means I'm stealing your idea.

I'm kind of doing the same thing as you are.  No, I'm not on Oasis...I'm on Scarlet Lady!!!! 

I'm actually flying out on Friday and just doing Disney/Galaxy's Edge on Saturday before I board on Sunday.  I thought about taking the brightliner, but i decided on renting a one way car rental, which ended up being cheaper than the brightliner plus, the rentals have a cruise shuttle from the airport.  The idea of trusting a train i've never been on was a little anxiety ridden to me.

I too am doing a live thread over there, but I'll keep my eye here just to say hi and wave.  We might even be within visual range as we're going the same way.  We're in Malaga and Valencia together, I think.  

@little britain can vouch for me as we were in Greenland together.  She really added to my live thread on that cruise catching things that I missed.  So we're kind of racing to Barcelona, huh.  See you in Malaga maybe, or Valencia? 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, laurieal said:

How fun! I was on Wonder for her TA back in 2022 and had a wonderful time. 

If you have any questions about Disney or Magic Kingdom, don’t hesitate to ask!

Thanks!  I think we are just going to visit the Magic Kingdom the Friday before we head to the port, we will be happy to just walk in Main St and then spend the day looking around.   Taking one day out of the several visiting family in the area before headed to the port.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, laurieal said:

Embarkation day isn’t until April 21st. I’m not entirely sure what day or date it is, but I still have a few days left at Disney before I get on the ship 😊 

Ooops,

Sorry about that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

I am a fellow Canadian that will be joining you onboard the TA! I am looking forward to reading your live and meeting you onboard!  I love your writing style so far.

I live in New Brunswick and I am travelling with my husband and my sister,  Hubby and I are also staying onboard for the May 5th sailing. We are flying down to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday on AirTransat out of Halifax and flying home on the 12th from Barcelona on Westjet. Flight travel to Atlantic Canada is so bizarre -  we have to fly from Barcelona to Calgary before we fly back to the East Coast 🤣

Hello fellow Canadian!  That is bizarre.. flying all the way west and then backtracking to fly back east.  We are from the west coast, BC. We are flying to Miami via Westjet and have to fly NORTH to Calgary on leg 1, then back SOUTH to ATL then MIA. Since Westjet changed  to make Calgary its major hub, I find most flights have to go thru Calgary 1st for a layover and change of planes.  WJ used to fly direct YVR-LGW, now stopover in Calgary. 😥

Anyway safe travels and see you on board!

• Like 2

Hi Laurie!

Just found your live thread.  I love your writing style and enjoying your live. We are fellow Canadians from the west coast, BC joining you on this TA. I love the bonus Disneyworld. The last time we were there were when our kids were teenagers... so many new sights. We will definitely have to visit DW soon. Enjoy the rest of the week at Disney and we will see you aboard!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, laurieal said:

Hello, fellow Canadian! My mother’s side of the family is from New Brunswick, but I have yet to visit. If you have an internet package, don’t hesitate to chime in with thoughts and opinions along the way! 

That is quite the detour! I would have thought there would be some options via Toronto. How long will it take you to get home?

Our home airport sucks and basically only has Air Canada (we live in Saint John). We had some WestJet credits left from some Covid cancellations.  Apparently there are no WestJet flights that connect through Toronto or Montreal to Atlantic Canada anymore so Calgary it is!  At the time we booked, I think this was the cheapest flight anyway.  Originally our flight was Barcelona-Calgary-Halifax but of course they changed the flights so to avoid an overnight in Calgary we are now Barcelona-Calgary-Edmonton-Halifax.  We leave Barcelona at 2:25pm local and get to Halifax at 6:01AM the next day so I think it’s about 21 hours with about 16 of those in the air.

We will have wifi.  I am actually going to be working remotely full time for the crossing.  All those time changes should be a fun.  We are frequent cruisers but this is actually our first TA. I am excited!!

• Like 4

Good evening, everyone! 

I find myself in a bit of a…situation. One of the brakes on my wheelchair broke. Wheelchair usually function better with two of those. 

I know it’s a long shot, but is anyone aware of any repair service in the Orlando area that does “at-home” repairs for mobility devices?

Laurie-That is discouraging news.

Two thoughts- Could you ask someone at the front desk if they know of any wheelchair repair service ? Is there a Conceierge or guest services at the Disney resort where you are staying that could assist with this issue ? I am thinking that Disney makes wheelchairs available to guests who are in need of one. Certainly,those wheelchairs may need repairs,so their needs to be a repair shop / center to take care of them.

Also- Have you tried to Google /nternet search a repair service in the area ?

Hoping you can locate someone to fix the wheelchair soon!

MJ🙎🏻‍♀️

• Like 6

Alright, people. A plan has been formed. 

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions. I went to the front desk last night when I came back to the resort and they gave me the number of the company they deal with for scooter and wheelchair rentals. They don’t do repairs, but they gave me the number of a company who does. The conversation with the guy went like this:

Me: one of my brakes is broken

Him: you probably have a screw loose

Me: the screw fell off

Him: well it’s definitely loose, then

That company doesn’t do “at home” repairs, but I booked an accessible taxi with Mears to take me there on Thursday. I can manage fine until then, I just want to get it fixed before the cruise where the waves could make transferring more…interesting. 

But now I’m late on my review again! I’ll just skip yesterday’s day in Animal Kingdom for now since I’ll be going again later this week. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, laurieal said:

Alright, people. A plan has been formed. 

Glad to hear!! Enjoy the rest of your Disney trip!! We are DVC members but haven’t been to a park since 2015.  I miss it!

20 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

Hey Hey Hey!!!  Stop stealing my idea!!!  Dang, you're already there, that means I'm stealing your idea.

I'm kind of doing the same thing as you are.  No, I'm not on Oasis...I'm on Scarlet Lady!!!! 

I'm actually flying out on Friday and just doing Disney/Galaxy's Edge on Saturday before I board on Sunday.  I thought about taking the brightliner, but i decided on renting a one way car rental, which ended up being cheaper than the brightliner plus, the rentals have a cruise shuttle from the airport.  The idea of trusting a train i've never been on was a little anxiety ridden to me.

I too am doing a live thread over there, but I'll keep my eye here just to say hi and wave.  We might even be within visual range as we're going the same way.  We're in Malaga and Valencia together, I think.  

@little britain can vouch for me as we were in Greenland together.  She really added to my live thread on that cruise catching things that I missed.  So we're kind of racing to Barcelona, huh.  See you in Malaga maybe, or Valencia? 😄

First one in Barcelona pays for the drinks! 😉 

I’ve never seen a Virgin lady up close, so I’m hyped for that! I will definitely be checking out your review once I’m out of the Disney bubble/whirlwind. Have you done Galaxy’s Edge before? Is Rise of the Resistance in the plans?

16 hours ago, TeamCan said:

Hi Laurie!

Just found your live thread.  I love your writing style and enjoying your live. We are fellow Canadians from the west coast, BC joining you on this TA. I love the bonus Disneyworld. The last time we were there were when our kids were teenagers... so many new sights. We will definitely have to visit DW soon. Enjoy the rest of the week at Disney and we will see you aboard!

Hello and thank you 😊 

Don’t hesitate to chime in with thoughts and opinions about the cruise if you have an internet package and want to. I’m sure people would like to hear about things that are not cocktails and trivia. 

Safe travels and see you soon!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

Our home airport sucks and basically only has Air Canada (we live in Saint John). We had some WestJet credits left from some Covid cancellations.  Apparently there are no WestJet flights that connect through Toronto or Montreal to Atlantic Canada anymore so Calgary it is!  At the time we booked, I think this was the cheapest flight anyway.  Originally our flight was Barcelona-Calgary-Halifax but of course they changed the flights so to avoid an overnight in Calgary we are now Barcelona-Calgary-Edmonton-Halifax.  We leave Barcelona at 2:25pm local and get to Halifax at 6:01AM the next day so I think it’s about 21 hours with about 16 of those in the air.

We will have wifi.  I am actually going to be working remotely full time for the crossing.  All those time changes should be a fun.  We are frequent cruisers but this is actually our first TA. I am excited!!

So you are basically doing the Amazing Race Canada to get back home, except the prize is doing laundry 🤪 

I hope you enjoy the TA. I sure do love them and all of their sea days. Safe travels to Miami and see you soon!

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, laurieal said:

First one in Barcelona pays for the drinks! 😉 

I’ve never seen a Virgin lady up close, so I’m hyped for that! I will definitely be checking out your review once I’m out of the Disney bubble/whirlwind. Have you done Galaxy’s Edge before? Is Rise of the Resistance in the plans?

Never.  Wife and I are die hard fans.  We had planned for a big Disney trip in 2020, but, Covid derailed it and we never rescheduled.  Rise of the Resistance IS the plan, among others.  The problem is my wife does not really do rides, so most of Disney is kind of lost to her.  Me on the other hand, I have no problem with most rides.  The ONLY thing that gives me pause to get on a ride is whether or not I will get wet.  I can get on the tallest, fastest roller coaster with no hesitation or fear, but "hey, wanna go on splash mountain?"  I'm like 8myb84.jpg

• Haha 7