Do any of you have a preference for size or age of ship?

sjde

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Generally quality of food on smaller ships is distinctly better - on Oceania, for example, while there are “speciality” restaurants (at no extra charge), MDR and (uncrowded) Lido’s provide really enjoyable food well prepared and well served - as opposed to NCL (for example) if you want anything but the cheapest cuts of meat and narrow selections of everything else, you have to go to the extra-cost alternatives.    

Itineraries on the smaller ship lines are generally more interesting - not hitting the phony line-owned ports often offered on mass market line itineraries; and even hitting superior ports, like St. Barth’s, which do not accept large ships at all. Also coming into any port with a few hundred others, rather than several thousand, gives a much better chance to experience what is there.

The hotel crew are generally better trained so the service is smoother.  But entertainment on small ships does lack the big production  flavor offered on larger ships, and there are no skating rinks, go karts, water rides, etc. so that aspect is generally missing — perhaps made up for by more accessible live music, and much uncrowded common space available.

That "no extra charge" of course should recognize the 2x or 3x higher fare for those included dining options.  So, comparing to an extra charge specialty restaurant isn't really inappropriate.  I have little doubt the dining is superior to the mass market MDR & Lido.  However, I think it has more to do with one paying dearly for that higher quality as opposed to a count of cabins.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

That "no extra charge" of course should recognize the 2x or 3x higher fare for those included dining options.  So, comparing to an extra charge specialty restaurant isn't really inappropriate.  I have little doubt the dining is superior to the mass market MDR & Lido.  However, I think it has more to do with one paying dearly for that higher quality as opposed to a count of cabins.     

There is no such thing as your “2x or 3x higher fare for those included dining options”.

The total fare, in my comparison shopping experience, is well below 2x -  and superior dining is hardly the only incentive.  Consider included Wi-Fi, free laundry, no limit on liquor or wine you can bring in board for in cabin consumption, less crowded, more attractive facilities, better itineraries, etc., etc.   By the time you spend your way up to a reasonably enjoyable experience on a mass market, 4,000 passenger floating mob scene, the price difference is a whole lot less.

Yes, Oceania’s list prices are higher than Carnival’s, NCL’s, Royal Caribbean’s, etc. - but, as with any other purchase, in cruising you will only get what you are willing to pay for — and, because cruising is a non-essential luxury purchase, why always try to minimize spending?   If that were my objective I would stay at home.  And if you are interested in cruising you might consider seeing what is available rather only that which comes at the (apparent) lowest price.

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

There is no such thing as your “2x or 3x higher fare for those included dining options”.

That was my point. The comparison should be with the extra cost speciality dining on the lines you disfavor.  

The total fare, in my comparison shopping experience, is well below 2x -  and superior dining is hardly the only incentive.  Consider included Wi-Fi, free laundry, no limit on liquor or wine you can bring in board for in cabin consumption, less crowded, more attractive facilities, better itineraries, etc., etc.   By the time you spend your way up to a reasonably enjoyable experience on a mass market, 4,000 passenger floating mob scene, the price difference is a whole lot less.

I sure agree with you about the other included amenities and agree about the difference being less with an apples-to-apples comparison.  I don't agree with the comment about reasonably enjoyable experiences or mob scenes.   While the mega ships are not my cup of tea, I've enjoyed many cruises on larger ships and find the more lively atmosphere to my liking.  

Yes, Oceania’s list prices are higher than Carnival’s, NCL’s, Royal Caribbean’s, etc. - but, as with any other purchase, in cruising you will only get what you are willing to pay for — and, because cruising is a non-essential luxury purchase, why always try to minimize spending?   If that were my objective I would stay at home.  And if you are interested in cruising you might consider seeing what is available rather only that which comes at the (apparent) lowest price.

Do you get the most luxurious penthouse suites?  Fly private charters to your ports of call?   If not, I should then conclude you go for the lowest price and are minimizing spending and should just skip the vacation.    Of course that would be silly.       

• Like 2

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I don’t think I would like the higher end lines because of from what I heard entertainment is limited . We cruise nothing but suites if on rccl we always add the UDP so dinner is in specialty other meals in suite restaurant. On celebrity we do lots of music charters where we can hear artists that are in the rock and roll hall of fame , we book a suite there that includes all specialty restaurants other meals in suite restaurant. 

• Like 1