Do any of you have a preference for size or age of ship?

sjde

We used to prefer the smaller ships, especially when there were better experiences.  And of course less cruisers.  In order to find space, we now choose to cruise on the larger ships.  Kids can be in their own areas, us very matured can find other spaces.  Specialty dining has improved in more choices but not necessarily in food quality and service.  The sound proofing in the newer, larger ships seems better as do the bathroom facilities.  Just our choice.

I think that Holland America's Pinnacle class is the absolute best mix of ship size and age. At 99,000 tons, they're not too small, yet not too big. They're modern, tasteful ships with advanced technology, but with thoughtful, traditional maritime touches. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Me? I love the newer supersized ships. So many great options and things to do. I also love smaller ships 🙂 just not quite as much 

Edited by wcook

I'm not particular as to age, but much prefer ships with fewer than 3,000 pax. Refuse to sail on the mega ships. If I wanted an amusement park I'd go to Disney World.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

We like the Queen Mary 2 and all it offers since 2006.

She is 20 year old but still has the atmosphere and class we are attracted to.

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 2

QM2 and the older HAL ships (2,000 or so passengers are the largest we go for) - but really prefer the 650 or so passenger Oceania ships.  Have no use for the usually hideous, crowded mega ships which are coming off the ways now - where if you want a decent meal you have to go for the alternative restaurants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My last cruises have been, not in order, were 100 pax, 400 pax, 1200 and an 800 one coming up. I can't imagine any big ships.

• Like 2

Sweet spot for us is 2,500 to 3,500.  Age not a big consideration as long as the ship has been maintained.  Though I have to admit I have not been on any size cruise that I didn't enjoy.  

• Like 1

600/700  or less ..... nothing bigger than 12000

Age immaterial.

Adopted the same policy when at sea. Always accepted the smallest 'deep sea,  non UK / European coast' ship I was offered.

I've only been on 2 and they were older and smaller ships, so no standout bells & whistles, but also fewer passengers. For the group I'm traveling with and our purpose for the cruise (aside from the obvious vacation, my youngest is dancing on the ship), it just works out to be better. 

Wife and I are looking at a cruise for February and not telling the kids about it until later this year. That will likely be on a slightly bigger ship.

Posted (edited)

Size and age are not the primary drivers for us. Cruise line target demographics, on board cruising style and atmosphere, along with itineraries are the more important considerations. For us, at least with the mass market cruise lines, that typically lands currently on Celebrity, in particular with the adult, not family, focus and the more pure cruising atmosphere on board as a result.  From a ship standpoint, more of a sedate, less crowded cruising design versus overcrowded floating amusement parks.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Sweet spot for us is 2,500 to 3,500.  Age not a big consideration as long as the ship has been maintained.  Though I have to admit I have not been on any size cruise that I didn't enjoy.  

We also preferred a 2500 to 3500 passenger limit.However,our last cruise was on the Anthem with many more passengers and we enjoyed being on it

• Like 2

Small ships for me. Itinerary is about equally important but I would never choose a great itinerary on a huge ship, whereas I might choose a less-than-stellar itinerary on a small ship.

When I say small, I mean small. The smaller Oceania and the Azamara ships (all same size) are ideal for me. Around 700 passengers. I will cruise on ships up to about 2,000 (give or take) but have decided anything larger is not for me.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I do have ships that I think are too large for me to enjoy that I'm trying to avoid. So far they're easy enough to dodge, but the day is coming where I'll get on a big ship because everything else is what I want.

I'm less concerned about age than the actual ship's general maintenance and updates. Like they say, age is just a number. 😃

Edited by Honolulu Blue

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Small ships for me. Itinerary is about equally important but I would never choose a great itinerary on a huge ship, whereas I might choose a less-than-stellar itinerary on a small ship.

When I say small, I mean small. The smaller Oceania and the Azamara ships (all same size) are ideal for me. Around 700 passengers. I will cruise on ships up to about 2,000 (give or take) but have decided anything larger is not for me.

When we did the Norwegian coastal cruise on Hurtigruten, our ship was 100-125 and it was great. There were only two other Americans on board. A well traveled but not 'snooty' group.

On 4/12/2024 at 9:52 AM, lenquixote66 said:

We also preferred a 2500 to 3500 passenger limit.However,our last cruise was on the Anthem with many more passengers and we enjoyed being on it

That's our favorite class of ship, too. But we have to settle for the next size up or so, because we always sail out of Galveston these days. We'll be on Voyager in less than two weeks. Our favorite ship was Splendour, but they sold that sometime back, to some guy named Popeye. I thought about booking a cruise with him, but I looked at the menu and every dish has spinach involved somehow.

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, wcook said:

Not a worry today. But give it a few years. 

Wife says they'll eventually build ships so big they won't go anywhere. They'll have giant TV sets showing the ocean going by, and on port days they'll let you off to visit the beach, and on the next port days, they'll change the decorations and tell you it's a different island.
Could save money, so don't laugh.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Are you aware that there will be at least seven new cruise ships coming on line in 2024 - which carry fewer than 1,000 passengers? 

I'm guessing most are in either the luxury or the exploration categories. Not an option for some of us.

I know Viking keeps churning out ships that are just under 1,000 passengers, but very few of their itineraries appeal to me.

Even Oceania's new ships are more than 1,000 passengers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm guessing most are in either the luxury or the exploration categories. Not an option for some of us.

I know Viking keeps churning out ships that are just under 1,000 passengers, but very few of their itineraries appeal to me.

Even Oceania's new ships are more than 1,000 passengers.

True - they are in the higher price range — but then just a quarter century ago cruising itself was a high price vacation option.

Only in this century did cruising become a mass market activity - so today’s new mega-ships  serve that purpose;  while refitted and new build smaller ships will continue to serve the upscale market they always did.

• Like 1