Should I wait?

mrecc

I am preparing to book my first Celebrity cruise. I just realized that in three short weeks, final payment will be due. Should I wait and hope for some price drops? I realize I am playing with fire and may lose out as prices may just increase. I also know there is no way to know for sure what will happen. Right now there is a lot of availability. Should I gamble and wait or bite the bullet and book now? Looking for your experiences in this dilemma

I have found that just after the final payment date, prices may tend to go lower and additional rooms open up.  So if you were looking for a particular location like a sunset veranda or one on the hump, then I would probably wait.  It is a dilemma...

It's truly a dice roll. There are many factors that affect prices - you didn't mention ship or itinerary so ??? In my not so humble opinion, if you find an itinerary that interests you for dates that fit your schedule, book and don't look back. Life is too short for coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posted (edited)

Book now at the lowest cabin category you’d be happy with. Watch for price drops until final payment. After that, if prices drop, ask for an upgrade. We’ve done that several times, where we book an ocean view cabin, but upgrade to a balcony if prices drop inside final payment, either for a modest up charge or sometimes at no extra charge. 

As others have said, it’s a gamble no matter what you decide to do. When we did Celebrity Solstice for Thanksgiving, we booked over a year in advance and locked in an amazing rate. Prices just kept going up and up after that and more than doubled. But then, a few weeks before sailing, there was still a lot of inventory left. We had friends who decided to join us and booked two weeks before sailing. They got a killer, last minute rate that was better than what we had locked in over a year prior. Free upgrade from inside to balcony and onboard credit.

Still happy with the rate I got, but it just shows how prices can wildly fluctuate from one moment to the next. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

While you might save a little- you might have to choose from the leftovers, not necessarily best cabins/locations.  If you don't care- it is a gamble- I personally am not a gambler- however, I have  placed move up bids to large suites.  I have won a couple of times.  But the chance of getting a bad location for a celebrity suite and above really isn't an issue.

Good luck to you.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

12 hours ago, mrecc said:

I am preparing to book my first Celebrity cruise. I just realized that in three short weeks, final payment will be due. Should I wait and hope for some price drops? I realize I am playing with fire and may lose out as prices may just increase. I also know there is no way to know for sure what will happen. Right now there is a lot of availability. Should I gamble and wait or bite the bullet and book now? Looking for your experiences in this dilemma

What is the availability for the specific cabin type and deck location that you want?  You need to decide how important that factor is vs a  "possible" decrease in prices.  

Thank you so much for all your thoughtful replies. So many details and considerations were brought up that I hadn’t even considered. You made me realize how important the cruise dates were to me and how picky I was about cabin location. I’m booking two rooms, so having them close or even connected made my needs even more important. It turns out, I checked pricing today (again … lol) and the prices had dropped enough to make a difference. This was truly a sign that I needed to act. Armed with all the considerations you all provided me, it made my decision even easier!!! SO I BOOKED TWO ROOMS!!! 🎉 I feel content with my decision thanks to the insights you provided me. I guess I’m not much of a gambling person after all. 🤣

• Like 4