Visa or eTA: What's Required for Mexican Citizens Traveling from Vancouver to Alaska Cruise?

deer_ink

Posted (edited)

Hi! I have a question about my upcoming trip. I'm from Mexico, and I'm planning to take an Alaskan cruise in May that will start in Vancouver, Canada, and will end in Anchorage, USA. I will be arriving in Vancouver by plane and I am aware that I only need to obtain an eTA to enter Canada through this mode of transportation. However, I am unsure if I need a Canadian visa to board the ship. I won't be returning to Canada, and there are no other Canadian ports visited during the cruise. I guess that I'll only need U.S. documentation when boarding the ship, which is covered.

My Cruise company, Norwegian Cruise Line, hasn't provided any clarity if I need a Canadian Visa or not. Also, the examples provided by the Canadian embassy website are somewhat unclear.

I would greatly appreciate your help, as my trip is currently on hold and I'm feeling quite desperate due to the lack of clarity.

PS: Attached is my itinerary. Please note that I will not be entering Canada by sea and will instead be leaving by ship to enter the U.S.

IMG_8888.jpeg

IMG_8889.jpeg

Edited by deer_ink

While an eTA is required for entry into Canada, there is no similar requirement for exiting. As you will not be re-entering Canada during your cruise, that initial eTA when flying into Vancouver is all that you need.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

While an eTA is required for entry into Canada, there is no similar requirement for exiting. As you will not be re-entering Canada during your cruise, that initial eTA when flying into Vancouver is all that you need.

It's also my logical opinion, but I'm not sure if sailing in Canadian waters (even without any other stops) would be problematic. What do you think?

46 minutes ago, deer_ink said:

It's also my logical opinion, but I'm not sure if sailing in Canadian waters (even without any other stops) would be problematic. What do you think?

As long as the vessel is leaving the country it shouldn't be a problem. It's similar to the situation if one flew into YVR and caught a connecting flight to Anchorage. The connecting flight flys over Canadian territory without issue.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

As you have never exited Canada, sailing on Canadian waters is simply an continuation of your visit here. Once you arrive here, there is no further requirement for an eTA or visa unless you fully exit Canadian soil and territorial waters, then return. As you aren't returning, that initial eTA is all that you require.

If you were to fly into Montreal and took a cruise ending in Boston, you'd need an eTA to fly in initially. But after that, as you visit numerous Canadian ports along the way, you remain in Canada until such time as you depart our territorial waters and enter US waters. There'd be no further eTA requirement as you entered each of these ports.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As you have never exited Canada, sailing on Canadian waters is simply an continuation of your visit here. Once you arrive here, there is no further requirement for an eTA or visa unless you fully exit Canadian soil and territorial waters, then return. As you aren't returning, that initial eTA is all that you require.

I just wanted to say thanks for all your help with the info on boarding the ship. I'm really anxious about making sure everything is sorted so we don't miss out on the trip of a lifetime! But I totally understand your point of view and I'll do my best to relax and not stress about it too much. Thanks again for your assistance!

35 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I think you should consult this website to determine what, exactly, you need and/or are eligible for.,

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/campaigns/eta-work-visa-mexico.html

I have 🙏When I clicked on "visiting as a tourist" and "entering Canada by plane", it showed that I only need an ETA. However, I am not sure if sailing out of Canada to enter the U.S. is considered the same as "transiting through Canada". If it is, then the result shows that I need a visitor visa. Can you please advise me on this matter?

IMG_8901.jpeg

IMG_8902.jpeg

9 minutes ago, deer_ink said:

I have 🙏When I clicked on "visiting as a tourist" and "entering Canada by plane", it showed that I only need an ETA. However, I am not sure if sailing out of Canada to enter the U.S. is considered the same as "transiting through Canada". If it is, then the result shows that I need a visitor visa. Can you please advise me on this matter?

IMG_8901.jpeg

IMG_8902.jpeg

What you need is dependant on data only you have. Complete the questionnaire as accurately as you can and it should tell you if you need a visitor visa. 

Personally, if I had any doubts I'd consider obtaining a visa.

• Thanks 2