Itinerary change

Jinn

For my September 8 cruise Reykjavik to Dover we are no longer going to the Isle of Lewis but instead to Oban about which I know nothing.  Anyone been there?  There are no shore execs listed yet even though there are plenty for the next cruise, Dover to Dover.  Thanks, Julia

I was in Oban in September.  
i had arranged for a private excursion as Oban, I believe, is close to the highlands.

From memory, we drove to Glen Coe and explored the local area.  It is incredibly beautiful; wild, fierce, hilly.  The weather during our excursion was terrible, but we still had a wonderful time.  Glen Coe is historical and the site of a massacre and important Scottish battles.

i remember our driver/guide took us to a local restaurant and we had a fabulous meal.  Sorry I do not remember details.

Suffice to say, Oban has a lot to offer, especially traveling north and west.

It’s a charming place and has easy access to some very nice sights. You will not have time but it’s the starting point for ferry to the isles

Try and book a local tour provider who can take you on an all day round trip to some of Scotlands best sights 

• Like 1

You can sometimes pick up some delightful limited editions at the Oban distillery.  Right in the center of town.  And a couple of other excellent whiskey shops nearby.

As mentioned, be sure to have rain gear for this cruise -- odds are you will need it somewhere along the way.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 5:50 PM, Jinn said:

For my September 8 cruise Reykjavik to Dover we are no longer going to the Isle of Lewis but instead to Oban about which I know nothing.  Anyone been there?  There are no shore execs listed yet even though there are plenty for the next cruise, Dover to Dover.  Thanks, Julia

I'm a born Scot and can tell you that Oban is a small coastal town, where we spent three days once on our travels, and there were not too full of things to fill in a whole day, if you end up only in the middle of town.  You could  do what many do in many ports; walk round the harbour area, or up and down streets with the occasional souvenir shop, and ice cream, or distillery, (unless you have never been to one before and are really into whisky.    Whisky in Oban is special to them, but you can get whisky anywhere (sorry Oban distillery), you can't tour the highlands anywhere.  So, honestly if you have the chance to get out into the highlands then do so.  Of course, a lot depends on how much time you have ashore and if you can get someone to take you, but I recommend going from Oban to Glen Coe and through the glen and circle back.  We were in a car and went up from Oban to Ballachulish around the estuary, with the river on the left of us, to Glen Coe, through the village and walked down a little local road to find the McDonald Memorial (never tell anyone in the area if your name is Campbell) , then went back into the village and got the main road down to the Glencoe Visitor Centre (very interesting info about the massacre, etc) , and through the glen, past the Three Sisters, the Devil's Staircase, Rannoch Moor,  then south to Bridge of Orchy, Tyndrum where you turn back on the A25 to Oban, stopping at St. Conan's Kirk (very interesting old kirk with lovely history), and Cruchan Dam Visitor Centre, then back to Oban in time for Fish and Chips (battered haddock) from the chippie on George Street.    Even if it's raining, and it often is, you get a feel for the highlands and the land.  

We also had a day where we went north from Oban to Dunstaffnage Castle and grounds, then on to Connel, where we crossed the bridge, and went to the Lochnell Arms Hotel and had lunch overlooking the river.  Again, Battered Haddock and Chips, ordered from their tartan bar.  Bye the way in the UK, if it's a pub, don't wait to be served.  You go to the bar and place an order, and then it's brought to you.  

If you don't mind a good walk, from Oban, you can reach Dunollie Castle, walking along the esplanade north, till you reach the castle and grounds.  The Castle itself is a real ruin now, but it has grounds and gardens.  

Hope this helps you.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jinn said:

Thank you Joanzzzz and others.  We won't be there long.  I'll take a walk.  Julia

That's a shame, but I see you go to Greenock, so if you can't do the highlands from Oban, and have more time in Greenock, I'd take a tour out of Greenock, to either Loch Lomond, or Inveraray Castle, or a Loch Lomond+ Stirling Castle+Trossachs tour which is a good circle route.  

20 hours ago, Joanzzzz said:

That's a shame, but I see you go to Greenock, so if you can't do the highlands from Oban, and have more time in Greenock, I'd take a tour out of Greenock, to either Loch Lomond, or Inveraray Castle, or a Loch Lomond+ Stirling Castle+Trossachs tour which is a good circle route.  

This!

On 4/14/2024 at 2:50 PM, Jinn said:

Was there in September.  Cold and rainy, but a delightful place.

Yes, Glen Coe is a great place to visit.  Wonderful Natl Park and hike.

Another idea is taking the ferry to Mull and then Iona.

If those take too long, there's always the Distillery in town to visit and taste!  

Posted (edited)

I second taking the ferry to Mull and then Iona. Mull is pretty too. Get some food at the Oban seafood hut on the pier (green shack). The crab or prawn sandwich is delicious.

I used to work at TSB (trustee savings bank) in Greenock. I took the ferry there every day and back from Dunoon. 

Edited by juicyjuju
  • Like 1