Back from Japan

48 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Japan can be overwhelming but with a little research and knowledge pre trip, it isn't too bad to navigate around.

I find it easier to get around than some places in the US, like New York where the subway is horrible, and the food in Japan is better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I find it easier to get around than some places in the US, like New York where the subway is horrible, and the food in Japan is better.

It is only better for Japanese food, Japan's NYC pizza or Calzone is crap if you can even find it.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

It is only better for Japanese food, Japan's NYC pizza or Calzone is crap if you can even find it.

Who wants to eat pizza or Calzone in Japan? 

And NYC "Neopolitan" pizza isn't a patch on the real thing from Naples, or anywhere else where the pizziolo was trained in Naples. But NYC pizza is pretty good for American pizza.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I rarely eat pizza or calzone so thankfully I won't be looking for them when I visit Japan.😂

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Who wants to eat pizza or Calzone in Japan? 

And NYC "Neopolitan" pizza isn't a patch on the real thing from Naples, or anywhere else where the pizziolo was trained in Naples. But NYC pizza is pretty good for American pizza.

Not me, but my point was that food is subjective and some places do some foods better than elsewhere. Like the Chinese food in Australia is better than in China.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I am looking forward to Kobe beef though.😋

Better talk to your Bank Manager first though! 🙂  BTW - lots of it at the Outer Market in Tsukiji, Tokyo. 

Edited by bazzaw
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not me, but my point was that food is subjective and some places do some foods better than elsewhere. Like the Chinese food in Australia is better than in China.

Only if you don't know the good places to eat in China - it helps to have local contacts there.

A lot of Chinese food in Australia is westernised versions of Cantonese dishes. Many years ago we had a favourite restaurant in Sydney's Chinatown. They would offer the tourist menu but we always asked for the "real" menu which had much more interesting dishes, although some of them were a bit too weird for us. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

@bazzaw Thanks for the video as I watched it all and enjoyed it. Our hotel is within walking distance of Tsukiji market and will be going there our second day with a guide so this helps with what is available.

I'm addicted now and will watch some of the other videos 😁.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, frantic36 said:

@bazzaw  Our hotel is within walking distance of Tsukiji market

Our was also - what hotel are you in. I hope you have checked the room size ( which we didn't do but WILL in the future) - our was 11 square metres!!!!!! --smaller than an in side cabin on most ships  🙂 BTW - Tsukiji is pronounced Squidgee

Edited by bazzaw
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

Our was also - what hotel are you in. I hope you have checked the room size ( which we didn't do but WILL in the future) - our was 11 square metres!!!!!! --smaller than an in side cabin on most ships  🙂 BTW - Tsukiji is pronounced Squidgee

I'm not a fan of small rooms and my husband is even fussier about that so I always check prior to booking. We are staying in the Conrad Hilton and room is 48sqm. We are doing a Regent post cruise tour and staying at another Hilton and I am just hoping the room isn't tiny as I don't have control of that.

I did note the "Squidgee" pronunciation in the video and when I was in our local fish shop yesterday I was served by a Japanese lady who confirmed it. A funny coincidence I thought as I haven't been served by her before.😄

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Japanese hotel rooms are tiny, hardly room for a bed.

Not all - even the cheap APA brand have two sizes of rooms - around 11sqM and a DELUXE 22 sq m at twice the price :(

We've stayed in the Park Hotel Shiodome a couple of times. The rooms are a reasonable size for Tokyo.

We had a huge room (by Japanese standards) at the Yokohama Royal Park Hotel. Even the bathroom was very big.

If my memory is correct the Westin in Kyoto also had very decent sized rooms but it was a long time ago when we stayed there.