Timing to experience Verrazzano Bridge

It's been two years since we did it last, but IIRC from Red Hook it will happen pretty soon after sailaway. I'd want to be up on the top decks NLT a half hour after the ship pulls away, probably sooner. Given the proximity of the Statue Of Liberty and all the other NY scenery, you might as well just go upstairs for the sailaway and stay for the bridge passage. It's an impressive sight, this is a shot from our last Princess trip out of the BCT as we approached the bridge

IMG_1659 small.JPG

I think the original poster was interested in arrival timing, not departure timing.

The NY Cruise web site does not list scheduled time of arrival pier side, and the ship's earliest disembarkation time is likely some time [an hour? half hour?] after the ship is secured to the dock.

With those limitations, I would set an alarm for no later than 90 minutes before the scheduled arrival pier side [2 hours before earliest disembarkation ].

[I wonder if the purser's desk could share when the Pilot is expected on board - that would be a good time to set an alarm]

If you have a view to starboard, you may see the Coney Island 'Parachute Drop' tower. The ship's tv channels may offer a bridge camera view or a ship's track to gauge your approach.

13 hours ago, Canuker said:

If my ship docks at the Brooklyn cruise terminal, about how long before that docking time will we pass under the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge, please?

It can be incredibly early. Back when we took the QE2 transatlantic a bunch it was something like 4:30ish in the morning under the bridge. The ship was docking in Manhattan though. I did it once and once was enough-- the extra few hours of sleep were more worth it and I have sailed under the bridge headed outbound plenty of times. 

I agree with the previous poster about arrival times but would say to be on deck at least around 2 hours prior to that to avoid disappointment. Checking the day or so before will also be important because with NYC you can have a lineup of ships if it's a busy day and they will all have staggered arrival times that aren't necessarily published. 

Living by the VZ Bridge, I remember when sailing back into NYC on the QE2, we use to come in heading to Manhattan, going under the bridge around 5AM for a 730 arrival along the Hudson.

Lately we once a year and half ago in the Fall heading to Red Hook Brooklyn on the QM2 we came under the bridge around 330 - 4AM and docked at 6AM.

So you also have remember you have to deal with the tides of the locations and time of the year.

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

Ask when you get on the cruise. They’ll know. 

They will, but sometimes not until a day or two out. NY can be like an airport with ships-- they are given a timing pattern if there is a bunch of traffic scheduled for that morning. 

• Like 1