OBC Usage / Accounting

How is OBC deducted when a charge is made? By this I mean, does PCL automatically deduct the charge by taking from the "Refundable Military Credit" first before the "Non-Refundable pile?

I figure the "We have got make more profit" team has this set to do just that to save the costs of refunding the credit (refund check processing, overhead, etc) and the actual "refundable" OBC amount.

3 minutes ago, KillerSnake said:

How is OBC deducted when a charge is made? By this I mean, does PCL automatically deduct the charge by taking from the "Refundable Military Credit" first before the "Non-Refundable pile?

I figure the "We have got make more profit" team has this set to do just that to save the costs of refunding the credit (refund check processing, overhead, etc) and the actual "refundable" OBC amount.

All non refundable OBC is used first.

• Like 2

Your account begins with a credit balance of non refundable and refundable. As on board purchases are made they are posted as they occur and net against the balance. Non refundable credits are used first followed by refundable credits. It's automatic. Any refundable OBC remaining when you disembark will be refunded by check. Amount balances of $25 or less can be received, if you want, as cash from passenger services on the last day. 

That's not my experience recently on Sky. We had a mixture of both and at the end of the cruise we had $2 credit remaining (nothing that cheap to buy anywhere on board!!). The folio showed zero to return to us, as they used all the refundable first. Not in the slightest bothered for that small an amount, but it was interesting that they did it that way.

1 hour ago, KillerSnake said:

You might want to check your Military Credit to see if it still shows as refundable.

For my just completed cruise booked 20 months in advance which included MOBC it was now non-refundable. Within the past year Princess changed MOBC to non-refundable even though it originally showed as refundable. That policy change didn’t bother me because I am very thankful to Princess for providing this way of thanks to military & veterans that is combinable with other types of complimentary OBCs…the best industrywide way to say thanks that I am aware about.

image.png.4f92206775bbecd059eff48922383819.png

17 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

You might want to check your Military Credit to see if it still shows as refundable.

Right now, my On-Line Web account shows Military as Refundable. It stays the same when I print out the Cruise documents.

If they changed the rules - OK. It is free money after all. Just wondering with all the nickel and diming going on across all businesses lately.

58 minutes ago, KillerSnake said:

Right now, my On-Line Web account shows Military as Refundable. It stays the same when I print out the Cruise documents.

If they changed the rules - OK. It is free money after all. Just wondering with all the nickel and diming going on across all businesses lately.

It shows as refundable on your account on the Princess website?  My husband also gets military obc and his is clearly marked nonrefundable for both of our upcoming cruises.  IIRC, it changed from refundable to nonrefundable last fall.    It also states this in the FAQ about the military benefit.  But to answer your original question, in our experience, nonrefundable is used first. image.thumb.png.307d88b90a5e3b65bb1de63c8c729509.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crystaltipps67 said:

That's not my experience recently on Sky. We had a mixture of both and at the end of the cruise we had $2 credit remaining (nothing that cheap to buy anywhere on board!!). The folio showed zero to return to us, as they used all the refundable first. Not in the slightest bothered for that small an amount, but it was interesting that they did it that way.

Anything under 20 you can get in cash from customer service.

Are you sure that the invoice did not have a debit line saying referred to finance. That is the entry when refundable obc is there to be refunded.

all final statements thst are sent out are zero.  Any charges are zerod by a CC charge, any refundable credits are offset by a debit line saying referred to finance.

16 hours ago, TRLD said:

Anything under 20 you can get in cash from customer service.

Are you sure that the invoice did not have a debit line saying referred to finance. That is the entry when refundable obc is there to be refunded.

all final statements thst are sent out are zero.  Any charges are zerod by a CC charge, any refundable credits are offset by a debit line saying referred to finance.

We've not received a final invoice yet. We had $200 each non-refundable and then an additional $80 each that didn't show as non-refundable (some credited on board for a trip that missed off half the itinerary, and some for a missed port). But my folio on the final day said 'Total refundable $0, total non-refundable $2.30. so I didn't go to GS. We had bought trips, speciality dining and booze in the shop to spend as close as we could to the full amount, so $2.30 remaining of $560 total was pretty good in my book.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Crystaltipps67 said:

We've not received a final invoice yet. We had $200 each non-refundable and then an additional $80 each that didn't show as non-refundable (some credited on board for a trip that missed off half the itinerary, and some for a missed port). But my folio on the final day said 'Total refundable $0, total non-refundable $2.30. so I didn't go to GS. We had bought trips, speciality dining and booze in the shop to spend as close as we could to the full amount, so $2.30 remaining of $560 total was pretty good in my book.

If you got 80 each for an excursion taken, but was not up to par then that would normally be considered to be a non refundable goodwill obc. If it had been a refund for an excursion that was canceled it would have been refundable.

So it appears all would have been nonrefundable. Not sure how they zero nonrefundable. Never had any left on Princess.

Edited by TRLD