Amazon cruise

oceanpark

I booked Buenos Airs to Bridgetown in February and am having second thoughts about this cruise.  I would love to hear from anyone who has cruised on the Amazon and their experiences with regard to the ports, shore excursions and the amount of bugs as it will be the rainy season.  I have been on safari in the rainy season and experienced lots of bugs and want to be prepared.  It’s interesting that Azamara isn’t offering the Amazon in 2026.

Can’t speak about the bugs because I have not cruised that IT.  However, the onboard experience of AZ is quite good.  The excursions are, IMHO, overpriced and you can do much better by reading the roll call for your cruise and booking independent excursions with other passengers when possible.  Overall, we would not hesitate to book another Azamara cruise, if the right IT, timeframe and prices align for us.  Hope that helps!

Posted (edited)

The Amazon is on my cruise ToDo list. I'd go with you on this cruise if I didn't already have another cruise booked.

It's disappointing that Azamara does not have the Amazon on their cruise calendar again. I want to try Oceania some day. They have four Amazon cruises on their calendar (if I counted correctly). Maybe it's time I make a booking on Oceania.

You might need to ask this question on the South America forum. 

Edited by Mercruiser

I have done Rio to Miami stopping in Barbados.. up and down the Amazon. Rough seas in the Atlantic. And the Amazon was very disappointing.. not a lot to see. Would not recommend to anyone. (We were on regent.. gorgeous suite. The boat part on Azamara will be fine. But not a fan of that itinerary. 

We sailed Bridgetown, Barbados to Buenos Aires, with the focus of the sailing being the Amazon and Brazil, with Azamara. It was a 22 night sailing in Nov and Dec, 2023.

Several of the ports are very rustic, and not developed for tourism. In saying this, I don’t mean they have been left in idyllic and scenic states, I mean that several ports lean more to the grungy or sketch side of things, and are more focused on commercial river life or basic river life. Much of the area is not scenic, much of the water is muddy. 
Bugs were not too much of an issue, though we saw some huge ones. We did have a lot of smoke from forest fires, and the river was very low due to drought. 

We had a great time, and found the area interesting and worth seeing, but much of that has to do with personal attitude. Several guests onboard the ship were disappointed with the sailing. 

• Like 1

Looking at the answers already given to your initial question, it is obvious that the Amazon divides opinion quite dramatically. We sailed from Manaus to Miami on the Royal Princess (now Azamara Quest) in January 2010 and absolutely loved the experience because it was so different to anything we had done and seen before.

We were fascinated with the rural life along the river and loved the chance to swim with the pink dolphins and catch and eat piranha.

IMG_6025.thumb.JPG.1b6c92f94893bd2fb74f26d7c8a48720.JPG

P1050014.thumb.JPG.f2b90a1629be1bd8b139b5b9fceb5523.JPG

P1050125.thumb.JPG.25829131613038ff5e004c2bc7c4dfcc.JPG

We did experience a lot of rain but not many bugs in the daytime. We were advised to avoid the open decks after dark because lots of bugs land on the ship having been attracted by the lights. Crew members cleared the decks once it got light in the morning.

These are a few pictures from our trip.....

Manaus

IMG_5974.thumb.JPG.8180862ea18520efeb5263a4aa93d7f1.JPG

IMG_5995.thumb.JPG.80dc4a1bffd64f2f2666841c579f5b91.JPG

IMG_5964.thumb.JPG.7f6e5df2e714f06eb879510d1866c8f8.JPG

Parintins

IMG_6068.thumb.JPG.4065b75dc700e298c7906bf8be56e396.JPG

IMG_6071.thumb.JPG.e0817b25094d703abb2cffb2297cc045.JPG

IMG_6079.thumb.JPG.c2487909c1aa6462368f663b93c36ac4.JPG

Boca da Valeria

P1050079.thumb.JPG.8f30550b2332d442d0c419adaa48a822.JPG

IMG_6113.thumb.JPG.9e6cfdf077caa105f8336efdc0e4639a.JPG

IMG_6119.thumb.JPG.841d08d26259670e8650a9b9ae68ddde.JPG

P1050093.thumb.JPG.7011bd47e25feb68becf0244101fb8bd.JPG

Santarem

IMG_6176.thumb.JPG.020892f2ef7e72b74bab0cbef60e83d4.JPG

P1050103.thumb.JPG.5db54d75f3ef2d71acff350650495c03.JPG

• Like 2

We have avoided the Amazon because of Yellow Fever. We were told that if you cruised there, a Yellow Fever shot was very highly recommended. All cruise lines required proof of that shot before you were allowed to board. At our ages, this shot was problematical because of dire side reactions, so we never got it, and never sailed the Amazon.

• Like 1

We did the Amazon on the Quest in Nov 2023 (Bridgetown to Buenos Aires--we actually started in Lisbon).  We had had the cruise scheduled at least twice before and had it cancelled by Covid ( on both Azamara and Oceania).  So, finally made it last fall! 

As some above have noted, it is a bucket list cruise for many (for us!).   It is also not a cruise on the Mediterranean Rivera in the sense that the ports you visit have not been tourist traps for hundreds of years -- so, as expected, there was not the level of tourist infrastructure that one might be used to on other cruises.   But, in some ways, that's the point! 

One port (Boca Da Valeria) was a simple village of about 100 people, with a single dock for the tender and a dirt path.   To be sure, the villagers had become used to cruise ship stops and "hammed it up" a bit, but again, a once in a lifetime visit.   Manaus on the other hand, is a city of more than 2 million, in the middle of nowhere, with a magnificent opera house (see below) where the Azamazing evening was held.

Sure the water was muddy-- but it ALWAYS is in the river.  We had no bug problem (and DW attracts them when they are around...), but we did have low water problems that caused one port to be skipped in the river.   We also had engine problems that limited our speed to about 3/4 normal that compounded the issues.   BUT, such adversity showed off some of Azamara's best features.   Captain Johannes kept us up-to-date with constant communications on the engine issues, the effect of the low water ( again requiring slower speeds), etc. every single day ( and sometimes more often if new info was available).  The line was also very generous with compensation on the missed port in the river and two more outside.

So, we are very glad to have done it.   Its not something we'll probably do again and again, but as a place that very few of us ever get to experience, it was worth it to us!

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

We have avoided the Amazon because of Yellow Fever. We were told that if you cruised there, a Yellow Fever shot was very highly recommended. All cruise lines required proof of that shot before you were allowed to board. At our ages, this shot was problematical because of dire side reactions, so we never got it, and never sailed the Amazon.

We did an Amazon cruise with Viking in Dec 2019/Jan2020. We were never asked for proof of yellow fever shots. We had our YF shots in 2013 and have done several trips from NZ to various parts of South America since then, but have never been asked for our proof of vaccinations anywhere. I often had them at the ready, expecting to be asked, but nobody was interested.

Of course if you don't have it, that is when you get asked for it!

Posted (edited)

We did the Amazon in 2019 with Oceania.

I think we expected more of the Amazon that really doesn't exist.  We knew that Manaus would be a big bustling city, and Boca de Valeria would be remote (but felt a little staged to us with all the kids running to greet you), but I guess we expected more of the Amazon portrayed in movies and travelogues, and that probably doesn't really exist any longer (especially with the destruction of the rain forests during the last decade or so).

It was interesting, certainly, but definitely a one and done experience.

As was our sailing with Oceania, which was I think a "seven and done."  No longer even have them on the radar.

And no, do not remember any requirement for a YF vax.

Edited by ECCruise

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

We did the Amazon in 2019 with Oceania.

I think we expected more of the Amazon that really doesn't exist.  We knew that Manaus would be a big bustling city, and Boca de Valeria would be remote (but felt a little staged to us with all the kids running to greet you), but I guess we expected more of the Amazon portrayed in movies and travelogues, and that probably doesn't really exist any longer (especially with the destruction of the rain forests during the last decade or so).

It was interesting, certainly, but definitely a one and done experience.

As was our sailing with Oceania, which was I think a "seven and done."  No longer even have them on the radar.

And no, do not remember any requirement for a YF vax.

ECCruise, curious why Oceania didn't work out.  What removed them from future consideration?

17 hours ago, mdeegooden said:

ECCruise, curious why Oceania didn't work out.  What removed them from future consideration?

Our first 5 times on Oceania we found them spectacular.  The food (of course), the service, the whole experience.  Cruise #6, in Alaska, started showing "stress cracks" for lack of better words.  Service not as crisp, food still good but not outstanding.

Cruise #7 was the Amazon one.  Service cold and frankly, almost surly in some cases. Nothing even remotely like Azamara.  No contact with senior officers at all.  And the snob factor, with many pax, was at Force 10.  It was all about how many "O" sailings you had been on, what cabin level, where you lived, etc.  Left us cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had to provide evidence of having had the YF vaccination before we left Miami for the flight to Manaus and at least one couple were denied boarding because they had not had the vaccination and didn’t have a doctor’s waiver certificate. They were boasting, as we waited to check in, that the requirement to have the YF was all a big con by the cruise company and nobody would check. Their faces were a picture when they were asked for the certificates and they then had to do ‘the walk of shame’ away from the check in. They would have had to fund their own flights back to the UK so an expensive lesson for them!

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Our first 5 times on Oceania we found them spectacular.  The food (of course), the service, the whole experience.  Cruise #6, in Alaska, started showing "stress cracks" for lack of better words.  Service not as crisp, food still good but not outstanding.

Cruise #7 was the Amazon one.  Service cold and frankly, almost surly in some cases. Nothing even remotely like Azamara.  No contact with senior officers at all.  And the snob factor, with many pax, was at Force 10.  It was all about how many "O" sailings you had been on, what cabin level, where you lived, etc.  Left us cold.

Sounds like our Regent experiences.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Sounds like our Regent experiences.

Whenever somebody asks how many cruises i have been on, I run in the other direction.  What I like about Azamara is that it is a well-travelled crowd that isn't a bunch of competitive snobs.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Toronto Guy said:

Whenever somebody asks how many cruises i have been on, I run in the other direction.  What I like about Azamara is that it is a well-travelled crowd that isn't a bunch of competitive snobs.

Same here.  And the funniest thing is that if they voice how many they have been on and it is like 20, they expect to top you.

And running is the only choice other than lying and undercounting (which is silly) or telling the truth, (which blows their 20 away and completely alienates them.)  So we say "oh, a few."  

And hit the bricks. 

• Haha 1

We were on that November cruise as well.

The low water level was unfortunate as it caused some difficulties including pulling off the Azamazing Evening in Manaus, but they did it.  All in all it was a very good experience and we enjoyed it very much.  Had no problems with bugs and no need for a YF vaccination.

I would not be surprised if they stopped going there as Captain Johannes was not impressed with the level of corruption there.  It seems that they were constantly being shaken down for things like loading fresh water, unloading grey water, provision of tenders etc.  The terms would suddenly change from what was agreed on.  When inspectors came aboard they made up violations to collect fines. The captain said he was writing a letter to the local officials warning them that they would stop coming unless they cleaned things up. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 6:28 PM, oceanpark said:

I booked Buenos Airs to Bridgetown in February and am having second thoughts about this cruise.  I would love to hear from anyone who has cruised on the Amazon and their experiences with regard to the ports, shore excursions and the amount of bugs as it will be the rainy season.  I have been on safari in the rainy season and experienced lots of bugs and want to be prepared.  It’s interesting that Azamara isn’t offering the Amazon in 2026.

We’ve done two trips on the Amazon. The first in January 2020 aboard the Delphin II with Nat Geo/Lindblad. The second February/March 2024 on Silversea Nova. 

Neither trip required proof of yellow fever vaccines. We got that vaccine a couple of years ago for Africa and had the information with us just in case. We didn't use bug repellent on either trip, but we wear long sleeved shirts and long pants to help avoid the sun. The Amazon is very near the equator so the sun is fierce. That said, this spring there has been a major outbreak of Dengue fever in Brazil. From what I've read it was around the capital of Brazilia.

The deep rain forest, monkeys in the trees, cobras in the water, and macaws flying overhead still exist. You need to find an excursion/adventure that uses a vessel such as one of the Delphin ships or something similar. Nat Geo, Smithsonian, and others have these. The boats leave out of Iquitos and hang out in the Pacayama Reserve. They don’t go into the really wide part of the Amazon with cities or towns. The boats dock at night somewhere along the rivers edge. There is alcohol onboard, but the entertainment is an evening lecture about what to expect the next day. Once in a while the staff gets out guitars for a concert. The ship is very comfortable, but does have marine toilets (toilets don't flush, paper goes in a wastebasket, which is probably where the description wastebasket comes from). You spend your days going down small rivers on/off the Amazon on small boats with a guide and driver, both equipped with machetes because sometimes the rivers get blocked with debris. You may or may not see pink dolphin on one of the excursions. When you visit a small village, the only touristy thing is that the adults have crafts on tables that they’ve made that were available for sale. The kids loved taking selfies with us but weren’t involved in selling anything. We had a someone from the village tell us about the village and what goes on there. You see an incredible amount of wildlife - birds, monkeys, snakes, iguanas, toads. Depending on how much water there is, you may be able to do some hikes. It’s very interesting and we have the best pictures from this trip.

The Silversea Nova was completely different, but we still had a good time. We boarded in Rio and took it all the way to Fort Lauderdale. This was two segments of the Grand Voyage that circumnavigated South America. We went 1,000 miles down the Amazon. We stopped at the larger towns and cities like Manaus and Santarem. You can take an excursion that guarantees that you will swim with pink dolphins. We didn’t take this one; we won’t support inappropriate treatment of wild animals. The Nova had flush toilets, more restaurants and bars than I can remember, pools, and excellent entertainment. It also had a fabulous lecturers, one of whom  spends her time on research boats on the Amazon that looked like the Delphin boats but were in worse shape. There was one stop at a small village. Just the opposite of the Nat Geo visit. This time there were children who held sloths or birds or some other animal and they were showing them to the cruise passengers and asking for money. There were locals with small boats that were charging to take the cruise passengers further upstream from the village. That was the worst excursion of the trip to me as I felt the children were being exploited.

If you have the time and inclination, I’d suggest taking both types of cruises in the Amazon since they are so different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suggest that you call Azamara directly and ask whether a YF vaccination or a doctor’ s letter exempting you from this shot is necessary before booking this cruise. Better safe than sorry.

On April 5th we returned from a combination land excursion in Rio and cruise from Rio to Miami including the trip up the Amazon. 

The cruise was on Oceania, and unlike our first cruise with them, Oceania snobs weren't a factor.  The majority of the passengers were a fun bunch!  We didn't chose to book on Oceania, the booking was part of the total package.

NO Yellow Fever vaccine was required.  In fact, the requirements for getting that vaccine have also changed.  It is now considered a one and done vaccine.

Water levels were not not an issue.

We thought this was a fun and interesting cruise.  For the most part we avoided ship sponsored excursions and booked small group excursions.  I think that mad a big difference in how we ended up viewing the cruise.

For us cruising that section is a one and done experience.  We will consider cruising the upper reaches of the Amazon.

We cruised the Amazon in Dec-Jan, no issue at all with bugs, but might be a different story in Feb.  Overall, it was an enjoyable cruise, but not at the top of my list of memorable ones. The shore excursions were mediocre. The Amazon is not the rustic, untamed, wild rainforest that I had imagined. It wasn't what I would classify as an "adventure" vacation. If there are other items higher up on your bucket list, I'd recommend you focus on those instead. 

• Like 3

On 4/24/2024 at 10:09 PM, LewiLewi said:

I suggest that you call Azamara directly and ask whether a YF vaccination or a doctor’ s letter exempting you from this shot is necessary before booking this cruise. Better safe than sorry.

We did the Amazon on the Quest November December and it was immigration check point in Sydney Australia that asked if we had had the yellow fever vaccination. Luckily we had and had our certificates with to provide confirmation. At no time did azamara ask for evidence. 

• Like 1