Nautica will get the new pizza oven in June!

clo

I'm on a FB Nautica group since we're traveling on them the beginning of July '24. Someone recently commented that the ship is getting something done at this 'dry dock' in June. I asked if there were any rumors as to a pizza oven being installed. He said they ate with the CD and the upcoming CD and that it's definitely happening then and that they're very excited about it. Us also 🙂 We've started making killer pizza at home using a STEEL not STONE so will be interested in it. Just an fyi.

• Thanks 1

Having had the pizza in Waves on Vista the other week, this isnt something I'd be holding my breath over. We found the pizza OK but no better than OK - think good quality supermarket pizza, rather than your favourite pizza place at home. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harters said:

Having had the pizza in Waves on Vista the other week, this isnt something I'd be holding my breath over. We found the pizza OK but no better than OK - think good quality supermarket pizza, rather than your favourite pizza place at home. 

Thanks. I'm curious. Did you have slices or a whole pizza? I understand the latter was quite better. Regardless we'd only have it once. As said what we make at home is so, so good.

20240318_202851.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ate one of the whole pizzas from Riviera's pizza oven place at Waves in Nov 2023, on the last night before we came into Barcelona. Went and got it while wife was packing, so she'd have the room to herself. Created the exact toppings and style I wanted. Ate half and took rest to wife in our cabin. It was fine. But not something I consider special. We eat pizza dozens of times a year. It is far better than the truly mediocre pizza served at lunch in the TC. Was it up to a good Pizza Hut pizza? That's as high a rating I'd give it. Adds little to culinary excellence or the dining experience.

A huge downside for me is that the pizza oven on Riviera displaced the ice cream/smoothie area, forcing it past Waves, midship, exposed to the elements. So every morning when I'd get my Sun Salutation smoothie and it was colder or raining the smoothie maker would be dressed in winter gear or a rain coat, while people were hit with rain or blowing cold wind. I felt so sorry some mornings for the Indonesian man making the smoothies. He knew my order so if he see me he'd wave and call out that he'd make it. I'd come back to get it in a couple minutes.

• Like 1

A great pizza is built by :

1. The crust;

2. Quality of the sauce;

3. Quality of the ingredients.

While O does fine with the crust normally, they fall miserably with the sauce. Made to satisfy the NoNos , it’s bland and uninspiring. Totally omitting many of the herbs and spices normally found with quality pizzas leaves that grocery store effect mentioned above. Clo, as the name of a tv series implies “ Curb your enthusiasm “. The pizzas are OK, but nothing to get excited about. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Indonesian

Would he have like it better if he were of a different nationality?

BTW I could be wrong about this but I thought I read here that the new pizza oven is used at dinner not lunch. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, clo said:

BTW I could be wrong about this but I thought I read here that the new pizza oven is used at dinner not lunch. ?

On the Riviera, in Waves, they offer pizza from the oven by the slice at lunch. These are made with a couple of selections. At dinner, one can order whole pizza from a different menu or place a specialty order. All of this different from the horrid things served in the Terrace.

• Thanks 2

Last month, we were on a Riviera cruise (Japan and South Korea).  We enjoyed the pizza for dinner - placed our order in Waves and they served us in the Terrace. They made our pizza customized to our requested ingredients and it was delicious. A big improvement over what is served in the Terrace at lunch time.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

A great pizza is built by :

1. The crust;

2. Quality of the sauce;

3. Quality of the ingredients.

While O does fine with the crust normally, they fall miserably with the sauce. Made to satisfy the NoNos , it’s bland and uninspiring. Totally omitting many of the herbs and spices normally found with quality pizzas leaves that grocery store effect mentioned above. Clo, as the name of a tv series implies “ Curb your enthusiasm “. The pizzas are OK, but nothing to get excited about. 

I watched that show once and was very unimpressed.

I used to be on a food site and we talked about how 'feeding the masses' was not going to make US 🙂 happy. I call it LCD - lowest common denominator food. Thanks P-L

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Did you have slices or a whole pizza?

We each had a whole pizza - the mushroom one and the vegetarian one.

I also had the starter of burrata, tomato and Palma ham which, in Waves defence, was excellent

I really wouldn’t put any stock in what you read on the book of misinformation. It’s enough to make your head explode. 

Well, this might be good news for my pizza loving friend.  We will be on the Nautica in the fall.  I can take or leave pizza generally, so not a big deal for me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clo said:

BTW I could be wrong about this but I thought I read here that the new pizza oven is used at dinner not lunch?

In your haste to be negative you chose to overlook my words. But I was clear: NIGHT. That means dinner:

"Ate one of the whole pizzas from Riviera's pizza oven place at Waves in Nov 2023, on the last night before we came into Barcelona." [NIGHT]

And having lived in the Philippines (1990-91), just north of Indonesia, most S. Asians in these tropical areas do not enjoy winter or cold weather. Completely foreign to their native lands.

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

In your haste to be negative

This is a subject I want to be positive.

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

And having lived in the Philippines (1990-91), just north of Indonesia, most S. Asians in these tropical areas do not enjoy winter or cold weather. Completely foreign to their native lands.

That was my being sarcastic. Why would one's nationality be mentioned?

1 hour ago, clo said:

This is a subject I want to be positive.

That was my being sarcastic. Why would one's nationality be mentioned?

The employee HATED working in the cold and wetness on bad days. We talked about it. He was miserable. Who wants to have cold wind whipping across you at your workstation, wearing a raincoat and rain hat? AND I, the passenger, HATED having to wait in the elements for a smoothie. All because they added a mediocre pizza operation that forced the move of the smoothie station forward.

25 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

The employee HATED working in the cold and wetness on bad days. We talked about it. He was miserable. Who wants to have cold wind whipping across you at your workstation, wearing a raincoat and rain hat?

I don't believe that SE Asians, or Indonesians or really anyone in the world would want that. And they should put in for a new job at the appropriate time.

I did a very little reading and it appears that the major markets for smoothies are the under 45 people and those who drink them for health reasons. Not exactly the poster children for cruisers. 

Did a little more reading and saw that pizza is the #1 food in the world and the US.  Ya know, I think I'll hold these two hands.