NYC on January 1

Hi all

Sailing out of NYC Manhattan on January 2, 2025 on the NCL Prima and we have tentatively booked two hotels for the night of January 1 - one in Times Square (Marriott Moxy) and one at LGA (Marriott Aloft). We arrive at LGA around lunch time on January 1.

Will it be reasonable to try and get from LGA to Times Square on the afternoon of Jan 1? Or should we just decide to stay at LGA and go to the port from there on the next day?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, willise said:

Hi all

Sailing out of NYC Manhattan on January 2, 2025 on the NCL Prima and we have tentatively booked two hotels for the night of January 1 - one in Times Square (Marriott Moxy) and one at LGA (Marriott Aloft). We arrive at LGA around lunch time on January 1.

Will it be reasonable to try and get from LGA to Times Square on the afternoon of Jan 1? Or should we just decide to stay at LGA and go to the port from there on the next day?

Thanks!

By the afternoon of January 1 there should be little or no evidence remaining of the New Years Eve festivities so that shouldn't be an issue.

In any event despite its name your hotel isn't located in Times Square. It's on 7th Ave and 36th St (the entrance is on 36th), several blocks south of where the NYE celebration takes place, so there should be even less likelihood of a lingering problem there.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

By the afternoon of January 1 there should be little or no evidence remaining of the New Years Eve festivities so that shouldn't be an issue.

In any event despite its name your hotel isn't located in Times Square. It's on 7th Ave and 36th St (the entrance is on 36th), several blocks south of where the NYE celebration takes place, so there should be even less likelihood of a lingering problem there.

Perfect! I knew the Moxy wasn’t directly in Times Square but wasn’t sure about traffic in the general area. I would prefer to stay there rather than the airport. My wife has never been to NYC and wanted to walk around the area and see a couple of sights - Rockefeller Christmas tree as well 🙂

Thanks!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, willise said:

Perfect! I knew the Moxy wasn’t directly in Times Square but wasn’t sure about traffic in the general area. I would prefer to stay there rather than the airport. My wife has never been to NYC and wanted to walk around the area and see a couple of sights - Rockefeller Christmas tree as well 🙂

Thanks!!

You may want to see the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show near the Tree..Windows on 5th Avenue and St. Patricks Cathedral to name a few.... 

• Thanks 1

The Times Square NYE craziness will be completely wrapped up by mid-morning Jan. 1.

Location of Moxy is convenient - while staying near LGA strikes me as a dismal waste of an opportunity to see whatever part of the city attracts you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The Times Square NYE craziness will be completely wrapped up by mid-morning Jan. 1.

Location of Moxy is convenient - while staying near LGA strikes me as a dismal waste of an opportunity to see whatever part of the city attracts you.

Agree - I would prefer not to stay at LGA (I don't even like flying into LGA 😀). It was just an option to avoid the chaos of Manhattan after NYE. But based on the comments here, I think I'll be good with the Moxy!

Thanks!!

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

You may want to see the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show near the Tree..Windows on 5th Avenue and St. Patricks Cathedral to name a few.... 

Great suggestions! I'll add to my list. 

All within walking distance of the Moxy, I assume?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, willise said:

Great suggestions! I'll add to my list. 

All within walking distance of the Moxy, I assume?

Hi

Your Hotel is located at 36 and 7th Avenue

St Pat's, Store Windows, Radio City and Tree is located

Around 49 - 57 Street on 5th Avenue

and 49 - 50 on 6th Avenue - Avenue of the Americans

Bit of a Stroll

If you are interested in the Radio City Show - Tickets should be obtained early on when they go on sale

• Like 2