T-Mobile

garyjnowak

We are on the May 18-June 1 sailing, Barcelona - Rome. We currently have T-Mobile Essentials. Imagine we will make some local and will be receiving and making calls from/ to the US. I see where T-Mobile has an international add on pass for $50 for 15mb. Do we really need to add this on for very limited calls and texts? Are there other advantages we may not be factoring in? TIA

Set your phone up for wifi calling (look in settings)   

Alternately you could buy an esim like Airlo who sell local and regional data sim cards. They are easy to install if your phone is set up for esim's and the Europe regional card is $13.00 US for 3 GB good for 30 days and covers all your countries.  You have to use wifi/computer calling as its strictly data.  If you have Whats App on your phone that is VOIP and you would be good to go. 

The advantage of the data plan is you can use google maps/Waze etc in real time to navigate while walking cities

Do NOT turn your cellular (regular voice calling ) connection on at sea as it might connect to the Satellite systems and there are posts about huge cellular bills if that happens.

Posted (edited)

On the ship you will have access to text/phone/data using WiFi calling (as thebsinmiss said) with no add-ons to your plan. Off the ship, T-Mobile Essentials has international texting included (I'm sure all of your countries are covered, but always good to double check on their site). You can also just pay $5 per day for the International Pass if you will only use it a few times when off ship. $50 seems reasonable though, just to avoid the hassle, if you'll be using phone/data on most days off ship.

Edited by AMHuntFerry

1 hour ago, garyjnowak said:

We are on the May 18-June 1 sailing, Barcelona - Rome. We currently have T-Mobile Essentials. Imagine we will make some local and will be receiving and making calls from/ to the US. I see where T-Mobile has an international add on pass for $50 for 15mb. Do we really need to add this on for very limited calls and texts? Are there other advantages we may not be factoring in? TIA

Not if you have very limited texts and downloads.  But if you want to make calls, should sign up for one of the data plans since they include calls. I always buy the data plan because I upload a lot of photos and the basic T-Mobile Wi-Fi in Europe is pretty slow.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been of 3 cruises in Europe since switching to T-Mobile in 2022. 

We have had no issues using the 5GB of 5g speed data anywhere we could pick up a signal. (Obviously we were careful never to get on the "Cruise at Sea" or whatever it is called because unlimited free roaming is not covered with that). Once our 5gb of data ran out, we were throttled down to a much slower speed. It was tolerable on one cruise but on the next two cruises, we added the $50 option just because it was so simple and nice to be able to use your phone to call or receive without regard for cost. 

Many of you will suggest WiFi but we were sailing Azamara and the WiFi was terrible. 

WiFI on previous Oceania cruises has been "decent" or at least usable. Sailing them in June and September this year and hope that is still the case. Otherwise, T-Mobile has been great. 

• Thanks 1

One of the best things we’ve done for travel is to change to the T-Mobile Magenta max 55+  

Text and data in something like 215 countries, call if you need to make one at .25 a- minute, usually don’t need to, text is fine. Free internet on Delta & AA and I’m sure others. I get a bunch of other perks that’s not relevant to travel but nice to have. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ORV said:

One of the best things we’ve done for travel is to change to the T-Mobile Magenta max 55+  

Text and data in something like 215 countries, call if you need to make one at .25 a- minute, usually don’t need to, text is fine. Free internet on Delta & AA and I’m sure others. I get a bunch of other perks that’s not relevant to travel but nice to have. 

Same here!  Great plan.

• Like 1

I have also used TMobile for many years and used the free international roaming many time.

To the OP -- I would give T-Mobile a call to see if your essential plan covers the free international roaming ...if not what would be the cost of upgrading.   Their Customer Service is really great and are never pushy...       I know some plans cover the roaming and others don't.  

• Like 1