Medallions what are they?

dawcruiser

Just now, Lady Arwen said:

@memoaksaid “in public”.  You have nothing to worry about, your cabin is completely private.

Except on your balcony there are cameras that will pick up things there. We have all seen tapes of people climbing over railings

• Like 1

Just now, Knickearth said:

But do they really need to know when or if we go to the bathroom?  lol. It is literally Big Brother at its best.  Found it annoying that if I went to a bar two days in a row the greeting was, oh would you like another martini,

I personally like it when they know my regular drinks. They have always done this by memory well before the medallion

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Knickearth said:

But do they really need to know when or if we go to the bathroom?  lol. It is literally Big Brother at its best.  Found it annoying that if I went to a bar two days in a row the greeting was, oh would you like another martini,

Cruise staff are sitting in a dark room monitoring our potty habits.   Yep, that is happening for sure.  

Most people find it a positive if the barkeep recognizes them and their drink preferences.   

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, memoak said:

I personally like it when they know my regular drinks. They have always done this by memory well before the medallion

Agree. We do too. Walk in a bar during a busy time, they see us, we sit down and no waiting to order our drinks. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 2

They are fobs very much like the ones we use in our condo building where we live,  they unlock gates and elevators. Our picture comes up on security computer so no intruders can enter our building,

on the ship they identify us and open our cabin door, And carry our passportnfo and account. It’s amazing

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

@memoaksaid “in public”.  You have nothing to worry about, your cabin is completely private.

I think folks have nothing to worry about whether in their cabin or public spaces.  Collection of marketing or sales data on a cruise ship is pretty far down the list of things to be worried about.   

• Like 2

Our first exposure to the medallions was on our recent Enchanted cruise. Was skeptical about them pre cruise. During the cruise, great. And we didn't even use the medallions to their fullest capability. Post cruise, wish Celebrity and RC would go with this technology.  

7 hours ago, memoak said:

Interesting because our friends on cruise we finished last Sat. Had the drink package and decided to never order same drink twice.  

7 hours ago, Elevatorman said:

And carry our passportnfo and account. It’s amazing

They do not "carry" anything other than a unique ID number. All of your information is stored on the servers, not the medallion.

1 hour ago, Knickearth said:

Interesting because our friends on cruise we finished last Sat. Had the drink package and decided to never order same drink twice.  

I think you are failing to recognize the customer service component of this.  Why it would be an issue is beyond me, unless one needs to have an issue that is.   

14 hours ago, Knickearth said:

I'm guessing that the staff would figure that out soon enough. At least I hope so because my goal on our upcoming cruise is to try every vodka martini they have. 🤣

On 4/23/2024 at 10:58 AM, Knickearth said:

That happened well before the medallion's.  The staff on cruise ships are taught how to remember names, faces and what people drink.  This is nothing new.  

2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I'm guessing that the staff would figure that out soon enough. At least I hope so because my goal on our upcoming cruise is to try every vodka martini they have. 🤣

I take it you are familiar with the Vesper, Ian Fleming's contribution to modern bartending and James Bond's go-to martini ;o) Three parts Gin (technically has to be Gordon's per Fleming's recipe), one part Vodka, one third part of Kina Lillet (or the modern equivalent Lillet Blanc) and a twist of lemon. All Princess bartenders either offer it on their menus or can make it upon request. It's right up there with the Chairman Of The Board as one of my favorite Princess Martinis

On 4/23/2024 at 6:41 PM, Elevatorman said:

They are fobs very much like the ones we use in our condo building where we live,  they unlock gates and elevators. Our picture comes up on security computer so no intruders can enter our building,

on the ship they identify us and open our cabin door, And carry our passportnfo and account. It’s amazing

Thay don't have any information on the Medallion.

In simple terms they are an active RFID with an unique ID that has longer range than a passive RFID like in a cruise card

That ID is used to do the things that happen.