Medallions what are they?

dawcruiser

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, dawcruiser said:

Sailed Princess before but never had Medallions.  What are they and what is the benefit of them if any?

The medallions have replaced the keycards you used to get. They unlock the door and use to buy things on board. You can also find shipmates by locating them and have drinks and food delivered to you because they can locate you.

Edited by Moondogy
  • Thanks 1

A nifty little coin-sized device which replaces the cruise card. The system is able to locate people (medallions) around the ship, crew use it to see who's who. 

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/princess-medallionclass

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/princess-medallionclass/medallion-accessories-customization

Some will tell you it's a curse upon humanity. They think Princess is tracking them all over the place and the Medallions are the gateway to a privacy violating dystopia. Psst, you're already a customer, you're already on the ship having spent hundreds or thousands of dollars to get there, and they were collecting data long before the Medallions.

• Like 2

They are about the size of an Apple Airtag so anything designed to hold Airtags will fit the medallions.

You do get a free lanyard with them but some people prefer to get something they can clip on a belt loop or bag, or something they can wear on their wrist. 

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

They are about the size of an Apple Airtag so anything designed to hold Airtags will fit the medallions.

You do get a free lanyard with them but some people prefer to get something they can clip on a belt loop or bag, or something they can wear on their wrist. 

Then there are people like me who just stick them in my pocket 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Unfortunately not all ladies clothing has pockets. 🙁

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:
3 hours ago, memoak said:

That’s one of the things I like most about the medallion. Wearing it on a wristband is so much easier than having to leave a key card somewhere when exercising or swimming. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes!  I purchased the bracelet for mine.  I didn’t like the watch or lanyard.  I bought the leather key tag for my DH, although he could care less and would be happy to just put the Medallion in his pocket.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dawcruiser said:

Sailed Princess before but never had Medallions.  What are they and what is the benefit of them if any?

This has replaced the hotel-like card.

One of the benefits is that it unlocks your cabin door as you approach. No more fishing around for it in your pocket or purse. 

1713832649421272851960371689396.jpg

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Some will tell you it's a curse upon humanity. They think Princess is tracking them all over the place and the Medallions are the gateway to a privacy violating dystopia. Psst, you're already a customer, you're already on the ship having spent hundreds or thousands of dollars to get there, and they were collecting data long before the Medallions.

Psst, wait until they find out the tracking capabilities of their cell phone and how that is used by corporate America.

Edited by Aggie83
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Aggie83 said:

Psst, wait until they find out the tracking capabilities of their cell phone and how that is used by corporate America.

And cameras everywhere that can see everything you do in public

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Aggie83 said:

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

And data being collected while you drive your new generation cars.   Personally, I kind of like it if it means bad drivers can't lie their way out of responsibility.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

And data being collected while you drive your new generation cars.   Personally, I kind of like it if it means bad drivers can't lie their way out of responsibility.  

In addition, we've had an dash cam for years now to show our driving every second. Never had to use it but it's nice to know it's available should I need it. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2024 at 8:51 PM, dawcruiser said:

They are basically tracking devices for Princess to track your movements and spending for marketing purposes.  They also allow you to enter your door without need of a separate key or card. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, memoak said:

I really hope you mean in public areas and not in the privacy of your room!😱

Edited by upwarduk
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

I really hope you mean in public areas and not in the privacy of your room!😱

@memoaksaid “in public”.  You have nothing to worry about, your cabin is completely private.

• Like 2

Anyone who thinks that their every move wasn't being tracked on Princess before the Medalions or isn't being tracked on every other cruise ship/line is fooling themselves. They have had cameras everywhere with facial recognition as long as I have been cruising (granted, that is just since 2018). Your keycard gets scanned at bars, shops, restaurants, MDRs, theaters, etc. on other cruise lines, it's not just used to access your room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2024 at 6:27 PM, Outerdog said:

A nifty little coin-sized device which replaces the cruise card. The system is able to locate people (medallions) around the ship, crew use it to see who's who. 

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/princess-medallionclass

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/princess-medallionclass/medallion-accessories-customization

But do they really need to know when or if we go to the bathroom?  lol. It is literally Big Brother at its best.  Found it annoying that if I went to a bar two days in a row the greeting was, oh would you like another martini,

On 4/21/2024 at 5:51 PM, dawcruiser said:

Another thing is that after approx. 12 days onboard the battery seems to be dying.  You have to walk up to the cabin door and put medallion up to screen to unlock.  Learnt the hard way.

27 minutes ago, Knickearth said:

Another thing is that after approx. 12 days onboard the battery seems to be dying.  You have to walk up to the cabin door and put medallion up to screen to unlock.  Learnt the hard way.

I'd go to GS and get a replacement medallion. No different if the Seapass card or whatever it was called with Princess stopped working.