Live from the Jewel April 29-May 13, 2024: will definitely contain sarcasm and grumpiness

Cake!

We had cake today! I didn’t get a photo of the pineapple upside down cake (dad) but here is my red velvet cake. It’s soooooo good! Please note that I added butterscotch sauce and vanilla soft serve to dad’s afternoon dessert.

IMG_5251.thumb.jpeg.735c37fc271fd3e202a1f1a84f665f47.jpeg

• Like 8

Happy Birthday Yvonne! Wishing you days filled with love and laughter surrounded by family and friends (and a few thousand CC travelers). Thanks for sharing your cruises and your father with us. 

• Like 5

I agree regarding the Jewel crew. We loved everything about the Jewel on our first cruise on her in April 2022, that on the 3rd day we were already deciding on the 2nd that we took in April 2023.  It was the first time DH and I duplicated a ship.  A small part of like to do different ships “just to see”, but the jewel is special.

• Like 2

Wishing you a very happy birthday and a continued wonderful cruise with your dad.

I still think you should definitely write a book detailing all of your adventures with your dad.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Neither of us enjoyed the family sitting behind us with their kids coming and taking food off our plates. I had to whisk my dad away before he started swearing at them. He did utter “twerps” under his breath when the mom picked up the middle child and hit my dad in the head with her feet.  

We then headed to the thermal suite to get warm from the outside in. I had to tell the loud talkers to please respect the quiet area. The noise in the spa has been ridiculous on this cruise and I wish they would post “quiet please” signs.

You are so patient!!  I'm with your dad - Let him swear at the kids and maybe the parents will keep them away from you guys.  Some people are fit to have kids.

And maybe the ship needs to explain what Spa Voices are and to use them.  Or kick them out.  Grrrrrrr....

• Like 1

Juneau 

Written at 6:00am

My cold is much better when I’m standing up. Laying down I get all congested and sinus clogged. I should have asked Lola if I could sleep on one of those ceramic loungers.

Back in November I bid in an online auction for a whale watching tour with Jayleen’s Alaska. I won the bid and the funds support NAMI Juneau (National Alliance on Mental Illness.) Through the years Jayleen and I have become friends so I messaged her right way and told her. She was so happy for me and asked which date. I knew we would be in Juneau May 2 and May 9 and I told her there was nothing I wanted more than to be out on the ocean with her for my birthday.  Since she donated the whale watching tour and the money from the auction went to charity I brought a big box of Purdy’s chocolates for Jayleen and her husband to enjoy. 

She is picking us up at AJ dock at 1:30pm today.

I’m hoping all those whales, eagles, sea lions and otters we saw in Icy Strait Point follow us to Juneau. Yesterday was epic for whale sightings! iPhones aren’t the best for whale captures so I just enjoyed the moments without the phone photo attempts. This is hard for me but it feels so good.

Remember last year when I got to smell whale breath? Hoping for a repeat this year!  If the whale is lucky they can smell my breath too: it’s a combination of Duck Fart and breakfast sandwich with a hint of peanut M&Ms for good measure. There may be notes of Chambord and traces of chocolate covered strawberries.

Speaking of Duck Fart, let me tell you what the woman next to me in the thermal suite did yesterday. You can probably infer from the segue. It was loud and bubbly and her whole right cheek lifted off the lounger. My teacher look did not faze her one bit. She just kept gurgling and spewing air until she was done. I once had to talk to a parent about her son who was farting on command in other students’ faces. The mom was like “you can’t get mad at him for this” and I was like “I’m not mad but he is farting on people on purpose and that is not how you make friends in grade 5.” His name is Dustin and I wonder what he does today. Perhaps the exhaust business. He was a good kid and I remember his cheeky smile and sticking up hair.

Update at 10:38am

We are in a blustery southeast Alaska storm with wind that zips bubbles away before you can enjoy them (believe me I tried and I almost lost my wand.)

Jayleen emailed this morning to say there are 5’ waves today so would we prefer to postpone the tour. I replied yes.    The Mt. Roberts tram is not running and many other tours have been cancelled due to the severe weather.

I’m not sure what we’ll do today. So far this:

Drink #1

Pineapple mimosa and an Irish Coffee for dad which he loves

IMG_5325.thumb.jpeg.02369429669fc49c923d705f569f7b84.jpeg

Drink #2

hot toddy made with whiskey

IMG_5326.thumb.jpeg.593842d634911cfb38e63a2ceea0fc65.jpeg

• Like 7

Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes and kindness! I appreciate your words so very much!

We have limited internet today and the Cruise Critic “like” buttons aren’t showing up for me. Please know I ❤️ your messages!

We are heading to the thermal spa and I am getting a hot stone massage. 

• Like 9