Quick review of TA so far

cantgetin

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 8:10 PM, Cloud9 Bob said:

I heard the candied bacon in RD is peppery as blazes now....true?

It's too peppery for me, for sure!  But it has many fans.

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

It used to mild and addictive. I’m sensitive to pepper. Got to abstain. 🥲

I'm allergic to black pepper so I sure understand what you are saying. The first time I tried it back in December 2021 it wasn't peppery at all. At least it didn't effect me. I didn't know it was supposed to have black pepper. A friend had ordered it and gave me a some. 

Then on my trip this last December I was going to order it and the waitress told me I couldn't have it due to the black pepper. The folks at the table next to me chimed in and said it is horrible with black pepper. When we got to talking they said in the beginning they didn't notice the black pepper but it had gotten worse over time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Definitely way more pepper than before.  On previous cruise, it was peppery on Bimini day; we attributed that to the substitute crew in RD that day (the regular crew does the island).  On this sailing the question is only will it be too peppery or way excessively peppery.  IF we breakfast there again, I may try to order it without pepper and see if that is possible.

Also, we were told that the B menu in Test Kitchen had changed....that was not our experience.  It may be changing, but the one this week was the original B menu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

I may try to order it without pepper and see if that is possible.

If you are able to order it without pepper let us know because I will be all over that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wildcatllamas said:

If you are able to order it without pepper

As someone who cures and smokes his own bacon, I believe the pepper is added in the curing process, and not just added before cooking. I only tried their bacon once in 2022 and found it to be too sugary, almost candy-coated.

46 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I only tried their bacon once in 2022 and found it to be too sugary, almost candy-coated.

Thats exactly what I loved about it...and its thickness. It wasn't peppery at all. Meat Candy. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

As someone who cures and smokes his own bacon, I believe the pepper is added in the curing process, and not just added before cooking. I only tried their bacon once in 2022 and found it to be too sugary, almost candy-coated.

Maybe, but this bacon has pepper you can see on the slices....and you can tell before you bite whether that bite is going to have a ton of pepper or not. Today was a time change night and we didn't make it to breakfast....sorry so no bacon report yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Today was a time change night and we didn't make it to breakfast....sorry so no bacon report yet.

I didn’t realize until now how I have become reliant on the bacon reports 🤔

• Haha 3

Captain just announced a course deviation toward the Azores in order to meet a helicopter for a medical evacuation which will occur early in the morning.  He will advise later as to how or if this will alter our itinerary for the rest of the cruise.

My guess is the captain will try to get as close as possible to Ponta Delgada. The hospital there has a helipad. Scarlet is a "winch only' ship so the evacuee is going up in a basket. I wish the sick person good luck. Must be so scary to need to be evacuated on your vacation.

The transfer was uneventful.  We will hit all the ports scheduled. but times will change.  Funchal arrival about noon (rather than 8am), departure 8pm rather than 6.  We will make up some time in transit and the next port arrival will be about 2 hours late.

• Like 1

The word is that we are making better time than previously informed and will be arriving at Malaga earlier than anticipated.

The final work on the bacon in RD--ate there this morning.  I asked if it was possible to have the bacon without pepper.  She asked if I wanted crispy or "plain."  I said I liked the sweet stuff crispy, but with little or no pepper.....and that was exactly what I got.  And the waffles were back to normal, not the super crispy/crumbly of last time, leading me to believe that last time they were just over-cooked.  Overall, MUCH better experience this morning.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

I asked if it was possible to have the bacon without pepper.  She asked if I wanted crispy or "plain."  I said I liked the sweet stuff crispy, but with little or no pepper.....and that was exactly what I got.

Now this is the definitive bacon report…Thank You 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, cantgetin said:

And the waffles were back to normal, not the super crispy/crumbly of last time, leading me to believe that last time they were just over-cooked.

I actually like waffles that are crispy. To me, waffles should have a bit of crunch on the outside.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tralfaz1138 said:

I'd agree.  I prefer waffles that are crispy outside and airy inside, not soft and cakey.  But, it's all personal preference.

The ones last week were so "crispy" that they were crumbly.  When touched with a fork, they crumbled to little pieces.  The ones yesterday were moist inside, a little crispy outside..  But we each have our own likes and dislikes.....

• Like 2

@cantgetin before I became gluten intolerant I liked waffles just like you described. Thick, puffy, crispy on the outside with a nice moist interior. Now I have gluten free frozen waffles that will barely get by and then gluten free mix that doesn't come close and sticks to the waffle iron. So I just watch and drool when others are eating them.

• Like 1