TuGo Travel Insurance (Canada)

CDNPolar

Posted (edited)

Hey fellow Canadians,

Some time back someone in the Canadian forum mentioned ToGo Insurance as a good option for Canadians.

I have done a search here on CC for "ToGo" and nothing has come up.

I find that their rates are reasonable and their stability period for pre-existing conditions is only 60 days.

Question is, has anyone actually made a claim with ToGo?  

Were they good to work with?  Did they pay out quickly and efficiently?

Rates are one thing, but the ease of working with the insurance company is more of my concern.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
Name of company corrected in title
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Hey fellow Canadians,

Some time back someone in the Canadian forum mentioned ToGo Insurance as a good option for Canadians.

I find that their rates are reasonable and their stability period for pre-existing conditions is only 60 days.

Rates are one thing, but the ease of working with the insurance company is more of my concern.

I have used them, with a 7 day stability rider. However, no claim so I can’t help there. 

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

It's actually spelled TuGo. 

As for your other questions, thankfully I've never had to make a claim so I can't help you there. 

33 minutes ago, [Big Z] said:

It's actually spelled TuGo. 

As for your other questions, thankfully I've never had to make a claim so I can't help you there. 

You are so right!  Thanks for the correction.

18 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Having got fed up with another company I'm also very interested in claims experience.  Most of us are buying travel medical insurance but hopefully very few are having to make a claim.  So almost all the discussion on the boards is about rates and terms.  I think you are quite right to research what is likely to happen when you do have a claim.

12 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There are lots of posts discussing/mentioning tugo, not all on this forum. Use "everywhere" for your search parameter and you should find 'em all.

Yeah - thanks.... I was, as the title of this thread suggested calling it "ToGo" not TuGo and I searched "ToGo" and found nothing.  I just remembered the name phonetically.

Now I do see that there are lots of posts about this company.

Actually from my research to date, I am quite interested in their annual plan for two reasons:

1) You can choose on the annual plan the trip cost where as with Blue Cross annual they limit you at $5K pp unless you add an additional top up contract.

2) TuGo only has a standard 60 day pre-existing condition requirement with an option to buy a shorter (7 day I think) period.  Blue Cross is 90 days.

41 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

Having got fed up with another company I'm also very interested in claims experience.  Most of us are buying travel medical insurance but hopefully very few are having to make a claim.  So almost all the discussion on the boards is about rates and terms.  I think you are quite right to research what is likely to happen when you do have a claim.

This is a discussion that my Husband and I have often because we read on the Insurance forum here on CC some nightmares of claims and collecting.  Now we don't know the circumstances and like most stories, there are three sides... The insurance company, the claimant, and then the actual story and events somewhere in the middle.

We did have a very clean and simple claim with Arch Insurance in the USA as Canadians when we cancelled a land based trip that was to take place this past January.  We followed Arch's process to the "T" and had all the doctor statements, reports, and forms as requested.  We actually never spoke to a person at Arch as it was all done online and the ONLY thing that delayed our claim was waiting on the completion of one physician statement where the doctor was delaying us...  (not intentional on the doctor's part). We completed the online submission and had a cheque in the full amount in less than 30 days.  It was quite simple, and we had been preparing for a long battle...

Yes, we want to know the history of claims to know if the insurance company is easy to work with.  We do attempt to know their policy language inside and out, and we are generally under no illusion of what they do and do not cover, so we just want to know that if it is an actual covered reason that they are going to pay out and hopefully quickly.

We can talk about tour companies on here right?  I know that we cannot name TA's...

We are looking at a land based tour with a long standing tour company in the USA that starts with the letter "C" and their Canadian travellers insurance is done through TuGo. 

We can talk about tour companies on here right?  I know that we cannot name TA's...

Definitely. The ports of call forums are full of posts discussing/mentioning specific tour companies. Ditto roll calls. Go for it!

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Definitely. The ports of call forums are full of posts discussing/mentioning specific tour companies. Ditto roll calls. Go for it!

I thought so but had a brief brain fart and decided not to give their name.

Formally, Collette Tours uses TuGo insurance for their Canadian customers.

• Like 1

We have used TuGo for many years for our TC/TI insurance. Last year, we had our first experience with filing a claim. It was very simple, called the Company, they sent by email the required forms.  Completed forms with all of the required back-up/proof for paid hotel costs were sent and we received 100% of the claim approximately two weeks later. They do have a 60 day stability period. We often take out our TC/TI policy for our airline bookings as we do this early to hopefully get good rates and then add on our cruise fare to the policy; in doing so, be mindful of when adding on, that the 60 day stability for medical reasons to cancel, starts over each time you add on to the policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WESTEAST said:

We have used TuGo for many years for our TC/TI insurance. Last year, we had our first experience with filing a claim. It was very simple, called the Company, they sent by email the required forms.  Completed forms with all of the required back-up/proof for paid hotel costs were sent and we received 100% of the claim approximately two weeks later. They do have a 60 day stability period. We often take out our TC/TI policy for our airline bookings as we do this early to hopefully get good rates and then add on our cruise fare to the policy; in doing so, be mindful of when adding on, that the 60 day stability for medical reasons to cancel, starts over each time you add on to the policy.

Thank you for your reply and the tips on the stability.

When stability period is ony 7 days , do you get full coverage for whatever issue you require the 7 day stabilty period  for.?

One company we checked out did advertise 7 day stability available - however they would only offer $50,000.00 coverage for that particular problem .  Did not feel comfortable would that amount .

1 hour ago, jeda4137 said:

When stability period is ony 7 days , do you get full coverage for whatever issue you require the 7 day stabilty period  for.?

One company we checked out did advertise 7 day stability available - however they would only offer $50,000.00 coverage for that particular problem .  Did not feel comfortable would that amount .

I just checked my documentation. The limit was the same as the base policy; $10,000,000. Here is the actual policy provision (sorry for the messy layout - I didn't want to play with it):

Unstable Pre-existing Medical Condition Coverage
This Optional Coverage can be purchased as an endorsement to an Emergency
Medical Insurance Worldwide or Worldwide Excluding USA plan.
Benefits
Maximum limit − Up to the Policy limit
This coverage does not increase the maximum limits of the Emergency Medical Insurance
plan stated in the Policy.
When this Optional Coverage is purchased, we will pay for the reasonable and customary
charges for medical and related expenses up to the coverage limit for an acute, sudden
and unexpected emergency medical condition incurred as a result of your pre-existing
medical conditions that were not stable and existed on or before the date of departure.
The charges must result from an emergency that first occurs after coverage commences
(including after any applicable waiting period) and while you are travelling outside your
province/territory of residence.
Coverage is subject to the terms and conditions specified in the section entitled
Emergency Medical Insurance, except for the wording under the sub-heading Pre-existing
Medical Condition Stability Exclusion and is also subject to the exclusion described below.
Exclusion
In addition to the Emergency Medical Insurance exclusions and to the General Exclusions
shown on page 47, we will not be liable to provide coverage or services, or to pay claims
for expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of:
Any medical condition which is not stable on or within the 7 days before the date
of departure.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 6:07 PM, gnome12 said:

I just checked my documentation. The limit was the same as the base policy; $10,000,000. Here is the actual policy provision (sorry for the messy layout - I didn't want to play with it):

Unstable Pre-existing Medical Condition Coverage
This Optional Coverage can be purchased as an endorsement to an Emergency
Medical Insurance Worldwide or Worldwide Excluding USA plan.
Benefits
Maximum limit − Up to the Policy limit
This coverage does not increase the maximum limits of the Emergency Medical Insurance
plan stated in the Policy.
When this Optional Coverage is purchased, we will pay for the reasonable and customary
charges for medical and related expenses up to the coverage limit for an acute, sudden
and unexpected emergency medical condition incurred as a result of your pre-existing
medical conditions that were not stable and existed on or before the date of departure.
The charges must result from an emergency that first occurs after coverage commences
(including after any applicable waiting period) and while you are travelling outside your
province/territory of residence.
Coverage is subject to the terms and conditions specified in the section entitled
Emergency Medical Insurance, except for the wording under the sub-heading Pre-existing
Medical Condition Stability Exclusion and is also subject to the exclusion described below.
Exclusion
In addition to the Emergency Medical Insurance exclusions and to the General Exclusions
shown on page 47, we will not be liable to provide coverage or services, or to pay claims
for expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of:
Any medical condition which is not stable on or within the 7 days before the date
of departure.

Thanks  for the answer.  Will have to keep looking for some thing along that line. . Even 30 days stability  would be good. ! 

As we get older it is like playing Wac- A Mole at the carnival. As soon as one solves one issue , another pops up !! 

10 hours ago, jeda4137 said:

Thanks  for the answer.  Will have to keep looking for some thing along that line. . Even 30 days stability  would be good. ! 

As we get older it is like playing Wac- A Mole at the carnival. As soon as one solves one issue , another pops up !! 

It can be Wac-A-Mole for sure.

We want to buy an annual policy, but the stability period (Blue Cross) is 90 days prior to the effective date of the policy - or the purchase date.  Essentially any travel during that year is based on whether you were stable during the 90 days prior to purchase, even if the condition becomes unstable after purchase.

@gnome12 sorry - lazy and don't want to go through the post.  Is this coverage you have with TuGo?

This was the wording of the 7-day stability rider of the TuGo policy that I had last year.

It can be Wac-A-Mole for sure.

We want to buy an annual policy, but the stability period (Blue Cross) is 90 days prior to the effective date of the policy - or the purchase date.  Essentially any travel during that year is based on whether you were stable during the 90 days prior to purchase, even if the condition becomes unstable after purchase.

I added the 7-day stability rider to an annual TuGo policy.

5 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

This was the wording of the 7-day stability rider of the TuGo policy that I had last year.

I added the 7-day stability rider to an annual TuGo policy.

Awesome!  Thank you.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to TuGo Travel Insurance (Canada)