Amtrak Train from Chicago to Seattle in July

Hi, checking all modes of getting to Seattle from Chicago for our upcoming NCL Cruise in July,2024.  Was wondering if anyone has an experience with taking Amtrak, and then getting from the King Street Station in Seattle to I believe to be pier 66 for the NCL Sun.

Love me a train ride, but I'm 100% with Bruce on this one - absolute minimum the day before on a long ride like that! Empire Builder was still only up to 64% on time as of last quarter, and on an almost 48hr ride which arrives barely in time for making a same-day cruise (11:29am on the current schedule), even three hours late and you are in serious danger of missing the boat!

Transpo from King St to your hotel then on to the pier next day - cabs, Uber etc. if you use their apps are probably the simplest options to get people with typical cruise luggage where they're going. From a downtown core hotel to 66 you will likely find it cheapest and easiest to also use a cabuber to the ship next day; if you're out in an airport hotel though, one of the shuttles like Seattle Express might be a bit less if you're a couple rather than a big family.

1 hour ago, mrsmck3 said:

Hi, checking all modes of getting to Seattle from Chicago for our upcoming NCL Cruise in July,2024.  Was wondering if anyone has an experience with taking Amtrak, and then getting from the King Street Station in Seattle to I believe to be pier 66 for the NCL Sun.

The Empire Builder is fun but keep in mind that Amtrak does not own the tracks that take you from Chicago to Seattle. Freight trains get the right of way and are always prioritized over Amtrak. This can result in long periods of time sitting around and waiting for freight trains to pass. They pad the schedule but sometimes it can be many hours delayed arriving into Seattle and in extreme circumstances it can be 15-24 hours late. You need to build in at least 2 days in Seattle in case to do this to meet a cruise. 

29 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Freight trains get the right of way and are always prioritized over Amtrak. 

Actually, that is not true. The original agreements creating Amtrak called for Amtrak to get priority over freight...but it took years of court cases to get the agreements enforced. Amtrak gets priority...that has been a major reason for the improvements in on time performance. 

However, I still would never, ever,  count on Amtrak to get me there the day of sailing.

Also hoping that the OP isn't planning to arrive the day of embarkation.  I have traveled on the Empire Builder from Seattle to Minnesota and we luckily had one of those sleeper cabins.  Our train was also delayed, because sadly we were involved in a fatality (ATVs should not cross in front of a moving train).  The train ride is very pretty, and I remember looking out over parts of Montana and understanding why it was called the "Big Sky Country".   This year, I would also be concerned about delays caused by potential wildfires or excessive heat.

If you do plan to arrive in Seattle via Amtrak, please make sure it is at least the day before your ship sails

• Like 2

I would gladly take the train to a cruise port over flying any day.  We've looked at some cruises departing out of LA and thought about taking the train down there before the cruise, and maybe after, but it would make for a very long vacation.

The Empire Builder is one of the most scenic routes in the U.S.  I wouldn't hesitate to take it, but ensure that your arrival day is at least a day before your cruise.  Things happen on the route of the Empire Builder and delays are common.  I would also strongly recommend booking a sleeper.  When you book sleeper service on long distance trains all your meals are included.  Last time I checked I think the Empire builder from Chicago to Seattle was listed as 44 hours; in reality it is usually 48-52 hours when there are no extraordinary circumstances on the route.  Most of the delay is attributed to freight trains on the route.

In the U.S., passenger service on shared track is supposed to give passenger trains priority over freight.  But that goes out the window when most of the freight consists are longer than the sidings that were built to give freight trains a place to pull off to allow the passenger trains through.  The irony is that the sidings are more than long enough for the typical passenger consist.  So, that means that the shorter train gets to pull off and wait, and that happens quite a bit.

Getting from King Street Station to anyplace in Seattle is as easy as taking an Uber or Lift.  I wouldn't consider trying to use Seattle public transit as a tourist.  Pier 66 is located near some downtown hotels.  The Edgewater is next door and they will walk over to the Pier with you and your luggage.  The Edgewater has rooms with excellent views of the bay and is at least a 4 star property.  There is also the Seattle Waterfront Marriott, which you can lug your luggage down to the Pier with not too much difficulty.  These are about the only two locations where you could limit your use of rideshare to just getting from King Street to your pre-cruise hotel.

Otherwise you'll need to consider a rideshare from King Street to your hotel, and then another from the hotel to the pier.

I don't think getting around Seattle is your biggest issue.  I think you'll need to ensure that you have a pre-cruise overnight to accommodate for any delays on Amtrak, which means starting your journey out west a day earlier and some additional lodging and ground transportation expenses.

For peace of mind why not fly into SEA, the day prior to your cruise and then take the train eastbound back to Chicago. That way any delays won't impact getting to the ship on time!

• Like 1