Embarkation at Vancouver Canada Place

tjcletzgo

19 hours ago, Coral said:

I remember in 2010 spending $400/night to stay at Fairmont Pacific Rim. I couldn't believe how much I spent there but it was an amazing hotel. Probably nicest hotel I have ever stayed at at the time (and probably still).

I think the Fairmont chain is Canada's top line of hotels.

20 hours ago, memoak said:

We usually give a $20 tip. They will tell you to tip st least $3-$5 per bag

Just out of curiosity, who’s the “they?” 

I don’t recall anyone mentioning a tip amount when I called down to have our bags taken to the ship.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

With one ship in port earlier this month check in was downstairs and there were no customs kiosks you saw an actual officer. We checked in just before 2 I believe and total check in time was about 15 minutes 

Interesting.  I apologize.  I cruised a couple times out of Vancouver last year, the last in Sept, and it was still check in upstairs and they had the kiosks to 'speed things up' they said.

Just now, Mark_K said:

I don’t recall anyone mentioning a tip amount when I called down to have our bags taken to the ship.

When we checked in to the hotel. This was a quote from guest services

• Like 1

Just now, disgirl said:

Interesting.  I apologize.  I cruised a couple times out of Vancouver last year, the last in Sept, and it was still check in upstairs and they had the kiosks to 'speed things up' they said.

I believe it depends on how many ships are in. Last October there were 2 ships boarding and they used 2 upstairs conference rooms and had kiosks. This month we were the only ship and it was downstairs. We actually had to ask at guest services at the hotel to find out

17 hours ago, memoak said:

When we checked in to the hotel. This was a quote from guest services

I was handed a small card with the service description and "fee".

• Like 1

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

I was handed a small card with the service description and "fee".

The card you get from either guest services or the concierge desk states that the luggage service is a gratuity based service

I have boarded on a Princess ship in Vancouver it is actually very fast with the medallion, like less than 5 mins not including the line wait.  The waiting in line part is the longest.

That being said if there are more than 2 ships in the port the place can be a zoo. And if you have large luggage you need to take them to the basement of the building. There will be signs showing where you go. The signs have a number showing the sequence you need to go through.

If you have only carry on. You go direct to princess desk at terminal get your medallion and go direct customs and then on boat.

On 4/24/2024 at 5:42 PM, wolfie11 said:

But the room is close to $1000

I would like to know what kind of room you stay in. Even high season late July for Alaska cruise we are paying under $500 US for a harbor view king

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

I would like to know what kind of room you stay in. Even high season late July for Alaska cruise we are paying under $500 US for a harbor view king

Nice price.  Pricing is dynamic and changes all the time.

image.thumb.png.006a504031353e2a45156a22b9aff832.png

42 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

I can easily live without a suite and club access on the night before a cruise I am not looking to impress anyone. We book early and then check weekly for new pricing. Our room for July has gone from over $700 to under $500 in a matter of a few months

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 10:34 AM, memoak said:

The card you get from either guest services or the concierge desk states that the luggage service is a gratuity based service

Your experience may differ (and I'm okay with that).  There is a difference between bell service to take your bags from the room to the lobby AND bell service to take your bags to the ship.  I can only report what happened to me.  

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

I can easily live without a suite and club access on the night before a cruise I am not looking to impress anyone. We book early and then check weekly for new pricing. Our room for July has gone from over $700 to under $500 in a matter of a few months

Those are the only rooms available on that date.

23 hours ago, memoak said:

Then I would be finding a different 🏨 

Oh, I’d never stay at Pan Pacific at those prices.  I got a room at the Holiday Inn Express at the airport for under $200.

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2024 at 4:27 PM, Mark_K said:

I also was given a card when the bell captain took my luggage up to my room. He indicated if I wanted the luggage taken to the ship, they suggested $2.50 or some amount per bag (I don't remember) as a tip and to call by a certain time. I tipped accordingly. Great service.

It would be the same amount one would tip for luggage service from a bell captain anyway.

I thought I took a picture of the card but can't find it.

Edited by Coral

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 4:08 PM, wolfie11 said:

It is listed in Canadian dollar though? Cheaper when translated to US dollars. LOL!

Edited by Coral

On 4/27/2024 at 5:54 PM, memoak said:

We do the same thing....use booking.com and recheck rates. Room for mid June is well under $500.

I embarked four times in 2023 from Vancouver. 

• One time I walked on as quickly as I could walk. (Yay!)
  • Another time I waited about 90 minutes to get a medallion. (Fault-Princess)
  • Another time I waited nearly two hours to drop off my luggage. (Fault-union issues. With an ongoing labor dispute, they shut down for lunch. Princess didn't help - at least there were no representatives visible at the scene)
  • The last time I waited about 90 minutes to clear customs. (Fault-US CBP. They've been the villains in previous years as well. Only one 600 passenger ship in port, so they decided to reduce manning to a minimum. Eerily quiet, yet still slow.

You might note that these time delays were simply business as normal back in the '90's. We became spoiled with quick embarkations in the last few years leading up to Covid and now we're regressing. I don't see the medallions or new app as helping particularly.

It's not the fault of Canada Place. In fact, it could/should be very efficient. Likewise incredibly inexpensive, if pre-booked, parking at Templeton Station and a quick, cheap, easy and fast Canada line train from the airport should make Vancouver a very pleasant embarkation port. It's certainly a fine town.

I'll be there again this summer. I'll forego embarkation lunch and arrive about 2pm. Given my recent experience I'll expect a mess, but will still cling to hope.

As for hotels, it seems like the price-fix is in in Vancouver. I can see no other explanation for Manhattan-like prices there - they've got plenty of land. I don't know if it's corrupt hotel chains or a corrupt government. Perhaps both. Search away from the waterfront and use a cab. 

Enjoy your cruise!

We are finding (this year and last) airport hotels $300-400 CAD per night.  Downtown hotels $600-900 CAD per night.  This is all dynamic and depends on what is going on locally and days of travel.  They know when the ships depart.  They know when school is out.  They know people will pay it to visit.

• Like 1